Gibson Brands Forums: Gibson Maestro Fuzz Tone FZ1A - Gibson Brands Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Gibson Maestro Fuzz Tone FZ1A

Poll: Gibson Maestro Fuzz Tone FZ1A (16 member(s) have cast votes)

use it? sell it? shelf it? whats your opinion

1. Keep on usin it, that's what its for! what will be will be! (4 votes [25.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

2. Sell it to someone, its worth too much to ruin! (4 votes [25.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

3. Put it on a shelf, use it once and a while, but keep it around ill never find another one (8 votes [50.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   Angry-Again 

• Group: Members

Posted 27 March 2011 - 09:27 AM

I got an old original Gibson Maestro Fuzz Tone FZ1A pedal a while back. What an awesome sounding vintage distortion pedal!! From what I have found out, I guess it's like the one the rolling stones used for "satisfaction". I cant seem to find much other information on it, and it seems to be very rare and collectable. There is on on ebay right now and it has a buy it now of almost $1000!! I guess my point is, it is cool sounding and works great, but should I keep using it, or shelf it? Ill never find parts to fix it, and if it dies will be worthless virtually. What you guys think? Should I continue use it, sell it, or shelf it? I have other effect pedals.
Posted Image
Drinkin Beers and Bendin Strings

#2 User is offline   Bob Marsh 

• Advanced Member

Posted 01 April 2011 - 06:22 AM

I say keep her! That's a great piece of Rock history! The circuitry is not by any means mysterious or proprietary - any competent electronics repair person should be able to find replacement parts and fix it should it die - After all, there are no tubes in it - just pots, switches , resistors and transistors. I'd bet money that Gibson would be willing to supply a schematic should you need to repair the unit.

Just my 2 cents worth

Bob

#3 User is offline   Searcy 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationNashville

Posted 10 April 2011 - 11:46 AM

Total junk! Why would you want a historic $250 fuzz box? Send it to me. I'll trade you a brand new DS-1 for it. [thumbup]

Honestly if you're not going to use it I would sell it and egt something you want. A real world price would be about $200 to $250. But that's nothing to sneeze at.

#4 User is offline   Jon S. 

• Advanced Member
  • Group: Customer Service Team

Posted 25 April 2011 - 08:23 PM

View PostBob Marsh, on 01 April 2011 - 06:22 AM, said:

I say keep her! That's a great piece of Rock history! The circuitry is not by any means mysterious or proprietary - any competent electronics repair person should be able to find replacement parts and fix it should it die - After all, there are no tubes in it - just pots, switches , resistors and transistors. I'd bet money that Gibson would be willing to supply a schematic should you need to repair the unit.

Just my 2 cents worth

Bob

+1. That fuzz box is hard to beat!

#5 User is offline   stein 

• Advanced Member

Posted 25 April 2011 - 08:33 PM

Yea, that is a piece of history and regardless of how MUCH it is worth, it is something that means something to a lot of poeple.

They make new ones, and some go to great efforts and cost reproducing and improving that one.

The truth is, they CAN be fixed, but also they are notorious for being unreliable and going bad. If you were to use it everyday, chances are pretty good the time will come when it will go on you, and then you might or might not get it repaired to sound like it did.

If you REALLY like the sound, perhaps the best use would be to preserve it as a sample and start a fuzz collection, using that as the comparism. You could share your results with others. It would be a shame to not use it at all.

#6 User is offline   slipshoddon 

• LocationTexas

Posted 14 May 2011 - 07:32 PM

Definitely keep it. Too bad my wife sold all my LP's because my kids have never seen an LP.

#7 User is offline   PP_CS336 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationPine Plains, New York

Posted 08 July 2011 - 08:02 PM

View PostAngry-Again, on 27 March 2011 - 09:27 AM, said:

I got an old original Gibson Maestro Fuzz Tone FZ1A pedal a while back. What an awesome sounding vintage distortion pedal!! From what I have found out, I guess it's like the one the rolling stones used for "satisfaction". I cant seem to find much other information on it, and it seems to be very rare and collectable. There is on on ebay right now and it has a buy it now of almost $1000!! I guess my point is, it is cool sounding and works great, but should I keep using it, or shelf it? Ill never find parts to fix it, and if it dies will be worthless virtually. What you guys think? Should I continue use it, sell it, or shelf it? I have other effect pedals.
Posted Image

Keep it mate! I had one of those back in 1968-69. Best fuzz tone I ever had. [thumbup] Guess that's why it got stolen. [cursing]
Paul Pasquale

Gibson CS-336; Vintage Sunburst, Plain-top (from Gibson Custom Shop) USA, Dec. 2008
Gibson SG-Standard; Cherry Heritage; USA March 2011
Epiphone Sheraton II (NA); Aug. 2005 Saien, Korea; I Serial#
w/ Grover Rotomatic Locking Tuners and TonePros II Bridge/Saddle
Epiphone PR5-E Acoustic/Electric (EB) w/ Esonic pickup; Jan. 2009 Sangwoo, China
Martin D-35 Dreadnought Acoustic; 1983 150th Anniversary
Hernandis Classical; Spain, February 1974
Emmons (handmade) 12-strings Dreadnought Acoustic; 2000
VOX AC30CC2 Amplifier
Fender Deluxe Reverb '65 Reissue
Dunlop CryBaby Wah-wah
Boss BCB-60 Pedal Board
Boss Fuzz FZ-5
Boss Distortion DS-1
Boss Super Chorus CH-1
Boss DD-7 Digital Delay
Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster

#8 User is offline   Grog 

• Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 03 November 2011 - 07:59 PM

It's most certainly a piece of history, I don't know why they opted to sell it as an onboard effect on a bass instead of a guitar.
Posted Image
But it changed guitar forever!
Posted Image

#9 User is offline   Jaco 

Posted 07 November 2011 - 10:36 AM

The replies says keep it buy the votes show different...

I must say sell it for the right price if you need the money.
It's a fantastic pedal, there's no question about that.
but it's absolutely not versatile and there're a lot of fantastic fuzz pedals for less money/more versatile...
Thinking about opening a guitar-rehab center....

#10 User is offline   R.S. 

Posted 23 November 2011 - 06:38 AM

Lucky you. I've made a couple of these and they're difficult to tune properly; the original transistors were notoriously inconsistent. A bit heavy on the treble for my taste, but it's a classic! As far as the parts go you can still find them so no worries there. I'd keep it.

#11 User is offline   epi8668 

• LocationChicagoland

Posted 24 November 2011 - 08:08 AM

View PostGrog, on 03 November 2011 - 07:59 PM, said:

It's most certainly a piece of history, I don't know why they opted to sell it as an onboard effect on a bass instead of a guitar.
Posted Image
But it changed guitar forever!
Posted Image

Woah! It came with a demo record? I gotta hear that ... wonder if anyone posted a recording of it on youtube.

#12 User is offline   ftgjr 

Posted 10 December 2011 - 06:04 AM

View Postepi8668, on 24 November 2011 - 08:08 AM, said:

Woah! It came with a demo record? I gotta hear that ... wonder if anyone posted a recording of it on youtube.

I have a 70's Maestro fuzz MFZ-1, I scored on Craigslist

Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Ibanez RG-550
Takamine Acoustic
Vox VT-15
Zoom G2 Pedal
Morley Wah

#13 User is offline   Grog 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 12 December 2011 - 09:09 PM

View Postepi8668, on 24 November 2011 - 08:08 AM, said:

I bought the record on ebay..... I think it was a sales aid. It looks to be in good shape, but it played kinda crappy, it was quite distorted! (go figure...)

#14 User is offline   StevieC 

Posted 04 October 2013 - 06:46 PM

It looks like Fender is making a fortune by re-issuing products it made in the '60s and '70s. The original amps, guitars and even stomp boxes have astronomical prices on eBay these days.

Why doesn't Gibson re-issue the FZ1A at a decent price? I know there was a limited run of re-issues a while back, but why not make it affordable and sell it in volume? Just a thought.

#15 User is offline   fredcapo 

Posted 20 October 2013 - 03:48 PM

It is a cool pedal. I have one. Try driving it with dyna-comp or similar level booster.

But the FZ1A has quite different transistors than the FZ1 which otherwise is the same circuit, same housing and the one that keith Richards used. The FZ1used
RCA 2N270 germanium transistors. Good luck in finding some.

#16 User is offline   JAC 

• Advanced Member

Posted 15 February 2016 - 10:22 PM

I'm a big fan of fuzz so I say keep it. You don't have to use it all the time. You might regret getting rid of it.
What da ya mean dude, You mean like dude ranch?........In other words, If music be the language of love, then play on!

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users