Gibson Brands Forums

Would you buy this three pickup SG if reissued ?

tom brown

Thought I run this by you all..

There are quite a few three pickup guitars with double humbuckers and a single, and others with quite a few different options on pickups and pickup selections...

But i do not think they are made very well, or sound very good...We won't mention any names here as to not bash, but to make Gibson aware that they may be people interested in this style of guitar. I think they can have a great variety of single and humbucker, and combined sounds. If they are made to Gibson quality.

This is a real simple design, other companies have been selling them for years.

If there is any interest, please let them know.

This is a public poll so my part ends here.....Here is the link with picture and description of the guitar i speak of.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Gibson-SG-1986-Special-400-guitar-3PU-Kahler-tremolo-/130502063854?pt=Guitar&hash=item1e628776ee

have a great day...

No. Not my cup of tea. I think the SG s (customs?) with 3 pickups are infinitely prettier. Their pups probably get the job done just as well, too.

The one in the pic is too 80's-heavy-metal style looking to me. Like the counterpoint to Fender's 'Strat" from the '80's, if anyone remembers those.

I like the traditional looks better.

The pickup combination does not bother me. I actually like that configuration on an SG. What I hate is that floating whammy bar, no pick guard, and the color. Yeah, mine is sunrise orange, but it ain't eighties glam metal like that SG.

• 1 month later...

While SG's are great guitars, they are played by rockers; I've never seen a jazz, R&B, or country player use one. This being said, rockers love that hot bridge pup while the neck pup usually sees little daylight. Adding a middle pup gives the SG a killer look but that's really where (hum)buck(er) stops doesn't it?

I couldn't find the buy it now button...

I love the idea of three pickup guitars, the Black Beauty was an amazing guitar and it worked for Frampton. I have been on the debate about putting a third pickup in the LP I am building, but havent come to a final decision, as its one of those hard choices, do you want a normal guitar or a guitar that screams all the time.

I have two pups = 3 possible combinations on two of my guitars.

One has P90s and the other has high output 'buckers

I am a simple guy, that is as confusing as I need it.

On the other I have coil splitting on 2 pups = 6 possible options.

Guess how many of those options I ever use?

I just dont need a 3 pup guitar and I think it looks silly on an SG (apologies to all the SG3/Custom owners out there) .

Now an SG with one of each (a 'bucker and a single coil) might be interesting (but then again maybe not).

I like 3-pup SG's... would be nice to have affordable 3-pup Gibson outhere, not on the bottom but in the range of better Les Paul Specials... maybe even vanilla and variant with Bigsby... who knows. [thumbup]

While SG's are great guitars, they are played by rockers; I've never seen a jazz, R&B, or country player use one. This being said, rockers love that hot bridge pup while the neck pup usually sees little daylight. Adding a middle pup gives the SG a killer look but that's really where (hum)buck(er) stops doesn't it?

I think absence of taste obstructed them [flapper] ... meh joke aside, I don't really see what is keeping people from playing anything on SG. Heck, I played Asturias the other day on it [biggrin] (it was crappy but not due to the guitar but due to me not practicing it enough).

I probably wouldn't. I'd buy an SG Custom though. My main dislikes are the colour and the whammy bar. One of the reasons I've gravitated towards Gibsons is because when I used to buy guitars with bars, I didn't use the bar anyway. I was sacrificing tone for a feature I didn't use.

I have a '68 SG STD and hardly touch the bridge pickup. I love the full bluesy tones I get out of the neck pick up.

alphones

Great guitar. A John Cippalino special. Too bad we can't see the head stock. there are tons of these around if you want an Epiphone.

I just could never afford a Gibson like that. But, I'd buy it in a heart beat if I could.

Alfonse

evol i like the looks of those sg's , very cool.

there was one on ebay that went for about 600 not long ago. Do you know what pickups that guitar has in it.

AFAIK the nineties SG Deluxes had mini humbuckers. Very cool looking and as Lungimsam said, I bet they sound killer.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived