Gibson Brands Forums

Who got what for Christmas?

J-200 Koa

My darling wife got me a smokin' hot Custom Shop '51 Fender Nocaster Relic. As some may recall from the old board, I was hesitant about the relicification. After two chords, C to F Start Me Up intro, I was in love. Keef heaven. The other teles I tried didn't hold a candle. I haven't touched an acoustic in days.

Here is a picture of the one I took home.

6701-2.jpg

I got a Rosewood J-185. Came with bone nut & saddle, gold Gotoh "Kluson" repros, Madagascar RW fretboard and bridge. Very nice. It's the answer to all my "maple" J-185 woes.... sounds as nice as my Martin HD-28V but with a little less rumble, little more Gibson mid-range wump. Cheers, Cryoman

RWJ-185-1.jpg

RWJ-185-2.jpg

Santa obviously had too much on his sleigh, so before heading further south, stopped in at the local Fedex depot and left these for our house:

07GibsonSJ-QMincase.jpg

- SJ, red spruce over quilted maple, with pretty much banner-era specs, except 'advanced' bracing

And a J-200Jr:

07J-200Jrtree1.jpg

Again, red spruce top on a maple back and sides body, triburst. And got Waverlys on that one too.

Not really Christmas gifts; these just happened to be completed and delivered a few days before Christmas. So, yay me!

Fred

Wow' date=' the grain on that Adirondack top of the SJ really looks different from the usual sitka top![/quote']

Yes, both those guitars have exceptionally wide-spaced grain. I've found this to be fairly common in the red spruce that Gibson uses. That's okay -- I trust Ren's judgment in selecting these tops.

Fred

Vintage Santa was good to me this year. On December 26th, I received my '46 J-45 from the shop. Plays great..rings forever.

Santa is also bringing me a banner LG-2 that I should receive on Monday. Have not seen or played it, so we'll see about whether the elves need to come take it back. If it is a keeper, look out for me to put something up for sale--with an exclusive Gibson Forum discount.

Since I fell in love with the Songwriter some time ago, and have been whining about getting one so much lately.....My wonderful girlfriend bought me this beautiful Songwriter Special for Christmas. Now, you have to know, ALL of my guitars are Black (well, the '94 J-45 isn't exactly black, it's close....and, they're my rules anyway). When the Songwriter Special became available, I simply flipped out ! What a beautiful instrument.....and the tone....?....Dead-On Gibson !

I am disappointed, though, that Gibson does not recognize this model in their official product line (on-line). Nonetheless, despite any commentary that it's not a Deluxe, I think I have a winner AND a future collectible. But, all that really matters is the Gibson logo, the workmanship, AND that incredible tone !

Notice that this puppy is very difficult to photograph (at least for this inept novice). The finish is sooooo perfect, it reflects like a mirror !

Merry Christmas everyone.....Have a safe and wonderful New Year !

IMG_0034.jpg

IMG_0035.jpg

Went in to Guitar Center for a J-45, walked out with an Advanced Jumbo (and after choosing, found out they were blowing it out). Light surface scratches on back, but I am going to put my own there fairly quickly. Trying to decide whether to put a strap pin in the neck heel (probably will, after I put my own scratches in). I just love the tone.

Hey Fred,

Holy Moley, those are sweet guitars. Where/How did you buy those? Were they both special orders from Bozeman.? That Southerner with Adirondack is SWEET!! Also that J-200Jr - what terrific coloring....

Glad you are getting everything you want and deserve.

Cheers, Cryoman

PS. Gotta update my earlier post. The rosewood J-185 has only a bone nut, not a bone saddle. Has the crummy Tusq saddle (soon to be replaced with bone.) Got it mixed up with my AJ which came from Gibson with both nut and saddle of bone.

Cheers, Cryoman

Hey Fred' date='

Holy Moley, those are sweet guitars. Where/How did you buy those? Were they both special orders from Bozeman.? That Southerner with Adirondack is SWEET!! Also that J-200Jr - what terrific coloring....

Cheers, Cryoman

[/quote']

Thanks Cryoman!

I ordered them thru Mike Fuller (Fuller's Vintage Guitar), with some assistance from the folks at Bozeman (Ren, Val, Don Ruffato).

Of the two, currently, I like the SJ a bit more than the Junior. But the junior has a big voice for a 16" maple guitar, bigger than most J-185s I've played. And it's only been a guitar for a few weeks..... :-)

Fred

Archived