Gibson Brands Forums

country, rockabilly, surf sound for under $1000

tartanbeastie

Or, a Dot, or Sheraton, with added Bigsby, and TV Jones Filter-trons. [thumbup]

Could be "Awesome!"

Although, it doesn't really matter, that much, on guitars, as long as

they have a "whammy bar." A good tube amp, with a great reverb, and

echo pedal, are probably more important. The genres mentioned, are just

that. Any guitar will work, really. It's more about the player.

CB

So if someone said heres a $1000, which guitar or setup would you choose for the best sound for the aforementioned music genres? it doesnt have to be gibson.

Used MIM Tele ( 300.00 ) or new MIM Tele ( 400.00; what they cost me ).......Jet City 20 watt Half Stack, all tube, new, 349.00 at M.F.....

and a Boss GT-10 ( 449.00 my price new ), or 300.00 used......Total cost; $ 1199.00 NEW, or $ 949.00 New amp, used GT-10 and used Tele.....

Teles are best for those styles in my opinion....The GT-10 has pre-sets in all styles, and two hundred user made patches; top notch quality....

And, although the Jet City has no ' effect in/return ', the price point still makes it a great amp half stack......

The above combo is my opinion for the best equipment option for the funds....I own all of the above and love them.....

I wouldn't have said this 30 years ago but...

The guitar you're comfortable playing. Period. Whammy bars got used a lot in early surf days 'cuz they were there and ... golly, it soon became the sound. Tele's seldom have whammies.

Rockabilly has been played on about anything.

I'd recommend an electric of some sort. <grin> But I think if you wanna, even an AE or plain old acoustic could work if you wanted it to and were more concerned about playing stuff with a band and for an audience than what you think somebody else sounds like.

But I'm just an old guy.

So $1,000? Put it in the bank and play what you like best in your stable now. I'd probably stick with either a 335 type or an SG type and... heck, they're not that similar, but I have one of each that I like a lot.

m

Some great suggestions, I think i'm just wanting a new guitar. I already have a tele which i love and did consider getting a bigsby fitted but I think the problem is I'm fancying a hollow or semi hollow. gretsch or ibanez (the artcore series are well made for the price and sound surprisingly good) with a bigsby style trem. I did consider a strat but they justdont have the wow factor for me. And i have a blues jr tube amp with a decent reverb. would just need some slap echo. Whatever guitar may be next on the hit list i want it more for country and rockabilly than anything else.

Yeah, I know Teles have had add-on or, I seem to recall, factory whammies of some sort. But then in a sense it's not a Tele any more - kinda like HB pups on one.

Gretches used to be really nice. Dumping my orange was a huge error on my part.

OTOH, I'll tend to agree more with some version of the Epi Dot or the Wildcat whatever it's called, the smaller body with a Bigsby. A P90 Dot variation likely would do well.

The thing with a nice plain Dot is that it can do about anything from jazz to rock to blues to country "rockabilly" to... well, whatever. The feel is "different" from a lotta guitars and may take a little getting used to, but ditto a Gretsch thin body.

You've gotta figure I also disabled the Bigsby on several of my guitars in the olden days, including on the Gretsch. Never cared for 'em.

m

I've never been able to get a convincing surf tone out of my teles, but my buddy has a purple sparkly Jazzmaster (just put it up for sale, actually) that does the surf thing perfectly. Any old Fender amp should do. Just remember to turn the 'verb up LOUD!

So if someone said heres a $1000, which guitar or setup would you choose for the best sound for the aforementioned music genres? it doesnt have to be gibson.

I just noticed one of those Epi "cats" with a Bigsby and P90s at Sweetwater for $399.

m

the wildcats are well priced just now. good looking guitars except the headstock.

Archived