Gibson Brands Forums

J-160E Standard vs John Lennon and J-45 A/E

bonanza

After an exhaustive number of discussions about the sound of the J-160 Standard Acoustic Electric vs the John Lennon model and a J-45 Acoustic Electric--I finally have the answer!!!

I have heard a number of the posts that the J-160E is a substandard sounding acoustic guitar. Well it is my opinion that most of these posts have been from those who have played a 1962 reissue or the John Lennon version (I am talking about a Gibson J-160E not the Epiphone just to be clear). The J-160E Standard Acoustic Electric is a SOLID Sitka spruce guitar with Honduras Mahogany back and sides, it has the modern X-bracing and a P-100 pickup. the guitar played next to a J-45 and a Songwriter (for many hours--back and forth) sounds fantastic acoustically--great resonation and voice as well as a super sound projection. The guitar shop guys and a number of other potential buyers and players were blown away by the sound!! The Lennon model and the re-issues were there and sounded lame acoustically (electrically is a different discussion).

The confusion is that Gibson has stopped making these recently while they are completing a deal that Yoko Ono has with them to sell the John Lennon Signature versions (I believe they will start production of these great guitars once those signature dogs are gone). The old J-160E's, the reissues and the Lennon guitars all have a laminated (spruce) top with solid sides and back and had LADDER bracing---no wonder they did not sound good acoustically. But the with the solid Sitka Spruce top, Honduras Mahogany sides and back and X-bracings--this guitar rocks!!

Ok so I had to put a large (refundable) deposit down to have is shipped so I can hear it---but after the guitar arrived and I was able to make the comparisons, I was astounded--what a great sounding acoustic guitar.

I am confused as to why Gibson would not promote this guitar over the current J-45 Acoustic Electrics. Let's see, sound as good (if not better), the volume and tone controls are on the front of the guitar--not a little wheel in the upper portion of the soundhole (ya that is convenient and easy when playing live---NOT) AND no tone control. When plugged in the female plug on the J-160E is under the guitar (where it is supposed to be--as opposed to sticking our of the strap button (looking like the guitar has a tail--I know you buy a right angle input--but its still a tail).

OK Gibson, when you start reproducing these guitars again--make your dealers carry one--they will sell and people can go play one to see how amazing they are. CHEERS!!

After an exhaustive number of discussions about the sound of the J-160 Standard Acoustic Electric vs the John Lennon model and a J-45 Acoustic Electric--I finally have the answer!!! ...

I don't think there's really much confusion about any of this. Most people interested in the J-160E want one that sounds like the Beatles' (and other British Invader's) J-160Es, which means they want the ply-topped, ladder-braced sound. On the other hand, most people who want (what is conventionally considered to be) good acoustic tone still want good acoustic tone when plugged in, and a P-100 is far inferior to, well, just about any other pickup for that. Plus, a lot of acoustic players find the knobs on the top an aesthetic turn-off -- they want the pickup and controls as close to invisible as possible. So, the solid-topped, X-braced J-160E winds up only appealing to folks who want good acoustic tone unplugged, something akin to hollow-body electric tone when plugged in, and don't mind the knobs. Absolutely nothing wrong with that, but there just aren't many of you.

Standard owners do have the satisfaction of knowing that the Standard is what the J-160E would have been back in the '50s and '60s if P-90s didn't feedback so easily. The J-160E started off solid-topped and X-braced, but was changed because of the feedback issue. The Standard is what Gibson was originally shooting for, but couldn't pull off.

-- Bob R

Archived