Gibson Brands Forums

Brown Studio mahogany top faded

steveallen

Recently I picked up a new 2010 Studio faded with the mahogany on mahogany body (chambered) and Burstbucker Pro's.

I've had various Les Pauls over the decades but have tended toward brighter guitars. Never went for the massive LP through a Marshall sound. My Boogie has plenty of bottom end though, so a "thinner" sound is not a concern.

But an SG seems a bit generic sounding to me so I wanted something with a bit more girth than that, for my Rock rig.

The Burstbucker Pro's on this chambered mahogany/mahogany Studio faded seem to deliver something I can really work with over all three channel settings of my amp. Good snappy clean sounds with some bounce; nice and Bluesy with crunch and a good solid rhythm grind; and a sweet crispy howley vocal "Oowwwwy" sound on the solo lead channel.

I dig the understated visual vibe, and the neck and frets play and feel great. A bit of FingerEase on the neck and I can't tell it's a "satin" finish. I can hear the body resonance acoustically unplugged though.

As I've aged it seems I seek more and more highs from rigs. As long as the audience isn't wincing in pain at the back of the room I guess I'm ok. [thumbup]

lpfaded.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I bought one on-line back in February but had to send it to Gibson Repair and Restoration because of a set-up issue. During the month that they had it I sustained a hand injury which prevented me from being able to play that thick neck comfortably once I got it back. I put it up for sale and bought a new Fender American Deluxe Ash Strat with a thinner neck and didn't touch the LP for months. I picked it back up a couple of weeks ago after a cortisone injection and six weeks of physical therapy and was blown away by the tone of this guitar. Gibson R&R did a great set-up which makes it a joy to play. I took it to a recent jam session and it got rave reviews. Gibson recently lowered the price and most on-line retailers are selling it for $699.00. That's a great value. I'd give it 5 stars.

Archived