Gibson Brands Forums

New SG Melody Maker

ben_easher

Does anyone have information about the mysterious new SG Melody Maker? Official release date? Do they really have maple bodies and do they weigh ten pounds? Music Zoo is apparently the only dealer to physically possess one (they also have the Les Paul version, but the Explorer and Flying V are on back order). I want to try one out--on the West Coast.

Gibson_SG_Melody_Maker_SE_105611510_a.jpg

You could email Gibson C/S with the serial# (105611517) and ask for verification of the listed features.

But why? Don't you trust The Music Zoo?

The text says it's a limited run of 1500. Gibson has made other maple guitars - like the Raw Power series - http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Lifestyle/Features/the-new-raw-power-guitars-401/

Basically this is the same thing - maple bodies, maple necks, and maple fretboards. As for the weight - one pup and pair of controls less heavy than a Raw Power SG -

The average weight of an SG Special Raw Power body is 5.37 lbs - from this page - http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/SG/Gibson-USA/SG-Special-Raw-Power.aspx

3669243d-9ad0-4c49-b588-4cef8784c497.jpg

The guy I talked to on the phone at Gibson C/S had no info on the new MM series. I don't want to bug a dealer that I won't be ordering from. Besides, they won't know the ETA for the rest of the country.

Fewer pickups and pots = more wood. The Raw Power series was chambered, which Gibson won't be doing on a cheaper line.

Fewer pickups and pots = more wood. The Raw Power series was chambered, which Gibson won't be doing on a cheaper line.

Not necessarily. That MM has a full size P/G. Sometimes one body is used for single and double pup configurations - both routes are sometimes there. Fender used to do that with the Esquire and Telecaster. And sorry, forgot the Raw Power SG was also chambered.

But if you're interested in the weight, I would email Music Zoo. I don't think they'd mind answering an email question - part of doing business. - sales@themusiczoo.com

A flying v MM...? What???!!? I was just going to buy some JBL speakers but now i think they have to wait! ...

HA !

Killer price - $539 - - - hard to say no to that. . . [lol]

More pictures from Musikmesse in this article.

Guitar Center will have these soon. SG Description (no word on how the 491T differs from the 500T):

A genuine humbucker-powered Gibson USA SG at a price that's too good to pass up.

The SG Melody Maker is one [of] the Limited Run Series as Gibson USA re-introduces the Melody Maker as the budget-friendly entree to Gibson solidbody electrics. The Melody Maker was introduced by Gibson 1959 as their budget solidbody model. It had a single-cutaway Les Paul Junior shape with a thinner body and distinctive, narrower Melody Maker headstock. The one single-coil pickup was controlled by one volume knob—sound familiar? In later years, a double-cutaway and then an SG-shaped Melody Maker were released.

The new Melody Maker is available in four iconic body shapes: Les Paul and SG, and now for the first time for the Melody Maker: Flying V, and Explorer. The Melody Maker is now powered by a 491T ceramic-magnet humbucker to produce the punch and roar that modern guitar players demand. The maple body comes in a choice of grain-textured satin finishes while the set-in, 1-piece mahogany neck has the slim Melody Maker profile. The wrapround tailpiece, with its tight and solid design, offers the sustain and resonance that many rockers seek. The Gibson USA Melody Maker comes with deluxe gig bag.

Price? I love the blue V, but hate the pickguard.

That Explorer, and especially the pickguard, reminds me alot of the Peavey Mantis I used to have. Gibson must've gotten a wholesale deal on blue paint this year...so different from the 70s/80s when blue Gibsons were practically non-existent, save for the odd LP Deluxe here and there.

Not crazy about the volume knob placement on these. One of the main things that drives me crazy when playing Strats is that the volume knob gets in the way when I'm palm muting and I end up turning it up and down accidentally. Still, I do like these, but there's so much blue it's a bit of overkill; I wish they'd tried some of the beach colors they used for the SG-X series, like that Coral color.

There isn't anything quite as cheap feeling as a cheap Gibson. Sorry hosts, you only make expensive, great feeling guitars. Leave the cheap stuff to others.

Just my opinion, and based solely on my own experience.

rct

• 4 weeks later...

Guitar Center had to special-order one for me. The action and construction are good. The pickup is no "Tim Shaw" but it isn't shrill either. I'm not a wild man with my right hand, so the knob position doesn't bother me. I've had worse backup guitars that cost more money.

melody-maker-web.jpg

Archived