Supreme 90th Signed Gold Top

liv4hcky

I have since heard the following

- there were only 90 made

- Les Paul signed them prior to hardware being put on

- signature is protected by a final coat of lacquer

Have only seen one on through google searching - on ebay

Other links lead to music store sites which indicate "sold out"

Very curious to hear from anybody who got one, or knows any more info about this limited release

Come on Gibsonites...I need feedback, ....and not through the Celestions

See several have read , but nobody replied to thread

Do I really have that rare of a guitar ? Hasn't anybody heard of this

The detailing is much better onthe inlays than my other supreme

Is it the fact it was haning up on top row with the other Les Pauls keep it out of the daily view ?

I can't find anything on the net

Gibson is very quiet about it, can only get a serial # confirmation for a 2005 Supreme, and info that 90 were made and signed

Hoping to hear from another owner .Curious to compare serial #'s, expect them to be sequential

Well, we are slowly growing - have now found two others on ebay - one in Fla, one in Missouri

Still hoping to hear from others..

Would like to hear: How + Where they got theirs, Are they keeping it ?, Are they playing it ?, What type of case candy they rec'd?, Any other special stories to go with these rare guitars, etc..

• 2 weeks later...

I know it's just me bumping this up again, but want to keep this near the front, just incase somebody trips over it and knows anything about this

...I have no idea if this is special or not, so looking for feedback

Just read about the Alpine White - looks like a work of art

Ummm, I got on of these. I bought on Music 123 for like 2800 plus 20% off of that just before christmas. It seemed like all the authorized online sellers got dibs on the supply. they were for sale for like a week and then all were gone. For some reason, the ones I have heard of were all purchased in 2007. This is what I know, may not be 100% correct. Gibson does not seem to know much about it. As for mine, She is behind a glass door in a display case never to be touched or played. This one is just for looking at and to show my friends that I got one and they don't. I should have bought all of them at 2300 bucks, I could have made a killing on ebay. Reminds me of the time I was guitar shopping in NYC, 48th street. There was this shitty little consignment, used guitar place that had all these old guitars. This was back in the late seventies. So the dude hands me a late fifties strat and then a late fifties les paul. He tells me that for like 600 bucks I can have either. Of course I knew better, I said I need something new with a cool paint job, not some old piece of **** used banged up guitar. I think the black washburn I bought across the street with the killer trem system was a much better investment. F*&cking moron.

Thanks Max

As you can see from my posts above, the # issues, and confirmation of Les signing were provided to me by Gibson, after many calls

I know in my situation, it was signed before finishing assembly, as signature tails off under the bridge...that may explain the delay in hitting the streets, they had to get him to sign them, and then get them back and issued

I believe I am close to gettig a certificate, but that too is taking some work, as it seems only a few people at Gibson know the full story

Take care

JG

• 2 weeks later...

Well folks, it's been almost 2 weeks, and thought I would fish again to see if anyone knows anything about this guitar. Would love to hear from other owners, have only connected with 2 ...not getting much info from LesPaulForum either

Unless the other 87 are hidden away, would expect some connection....Anyway, thanks for putting up with me butting in to the front of the line again, just to make some noise and look for a reaction

• 1 month later...

Well, I have just purchased one of these from Guitar Showcase in San Jose, CA. So, now there are four. eBay is showing one for sale as I write this: item number: 250243837870 ending on 05/12/08. The owner claims to have a Gibson Certificate in his possession, but it is not the usual "Custom Shop" Certificate seen with many high-end Gibsons. If you have had success getting a certificate of any kind, please respond with the method you used to acquire it. Thanks!

Sounds like you know everything about it. What is it exactly that you are looking for? I have seen quite a few on eBay for sale. I really think they are a nice looking guitar, but I think the reason for no replies is that all you are asking is if anyone knows anything about this guitar. What does that mean? We all know it's a 90th Surpreme Les Paul with a signiture.

Be more specific on what you would like to know about it and you may find you will get more replies.

Congrats on the purchase, it IS a beautiful guitar!

-Rj

• 1 month later...

I have just purchased one of these. It's been an interesting trip. I called Gibson customer service to verify that it was the real deal. The guy on the customer service line said that the serial number was a 2005 LP Supreme in Ebony. I about had cardiac arrest. He did suggest I send in pictures of the body (front and back) neck and headstock (front and back). I did that, and after a few quick questions, was told by Gibson that these definitely do exist, and that my serial number matches the list (so I got the real deal). If you're looking to buy one and you call Gibson, don't give up if it's not a match. Take some pictures and send them in. The folks in customer service at Gibson USA are top notch. As for "Gibson customer service" - I'm grateful that the guy encouraged me to send in the pictures. Not his fault their database was wrong.

As for the guitar, it's a little slice of heaven. After a VERY brief session of gentle play, it's back in its case safe and sound. Given Les' age, I feel privileged to have one of these. Here's hoping I get a shot at one of the 100th anniversary models.

Keep pickin' Les!!!

• 1 month later...

Hi, I just managed to find someone who owns 2 of the 90th Les Paul signed Supreme...one has a scratch on the back and the other mint. I have no idea of the value. Would a mint one be worth USD10K or more? The owner asked me to propose a price. There is no certificate at all which is disappointing. Would anyone be willing to pay USD10k or more. I could resell it because the owner too asked me to proposed a price if I take both. Any takers?

• 3 weeks later...

I just bought one from the Gibson store in Nashville a few weeks ago. They found two at the factory that had been lost since 2005. They made 90 of them in honor of Les Paul's 90 years and put a 90th mother of pearl inlay on the 12th fret. The signature is under the Nitro finish. I have an original certificate and a high def scanned image of one done at a graphics house. I am a collector and snatched this one up since Les Paul is now 93. What do you think the value will do when he passes? This one is a no brainer. Mine is unplayed and will remain that way like an uncirculated coin.

I agree that guitars were meant to be played. I have about 50 that I use for just that purpose. However, there is a market for investment guitars that will hold a higher value if left in mint condition. This guitar falls into that category. There is nothing unique about the components in this Les Paul Supreme versus a stock guitar that would warrant the thousands of dollars paid in excess of the price of a regular Supreme except the commemorative value and Les Paul's signature. The same holds true for the 25/50 Anniversary Paul and the Jimmy Page Paul that are the neighbors of this one. Imagine what an unplayed recently discovered 59' Paul would be worth. Same logic applies here. This is simply an investment in a commodity that outperforms the stock market for the most part without as much risk. I have a handicapped daughter whose trust will benefit from the proceeds of my collection when it's sold, so my motives are a little different than the typical musician.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I just picked up Les Paul Supreme Goldtop 90th signed, play it every day, great guitar, paid fair price.

Signature is under finish, no certificate.

Gibson confirmed the serial number, stated some had paperwork, others did not.

Also just got Les Paul 911 Stars and Stripes, blue back, perfect, only 25 made, now this is a rare guitar.

drew

• 7 years later...

It's been fascinating reading this 'back from the dead' thread.

Outside of the OP, of the 4 people who have bought these guitars they only contributed seven posts - less that 2 each - to this Les Paul Forum(*).

Three of these four owners seemed to list 'Investment' as a major reason in their purchase.

Keeping them 'unplayed' also seems to be very high up on the owners' list of priorities.

A few choice quotes from this one very short thread;

" This one is just for looking at and to show my friends that I got one and they don't."

"I should have bought all of them at 2300 bucks, I could have made a killing on ebay..."

"After a VERY brief session of gentle play, it's back in its case safe and sound. Given Les' age, I feel privileged to have one of these..."

"Would a mint one be worth USD10K or more?...There is no certificate at all which is disappointing. Would anyone be willing to pay USD10k or more....Any takers?..."

"This is simply an investment in a commodity that outperforms the stock market for the most part without as much risk..."

And the icing on a very unpleasant cake?

" I am a collector and snatched this one up since Les Paul is now 93. What do you think the value will do when he passes?..."

Not one of these quotes comes from realran's post so I don't blame him/her for anything contained in my grouch.

But it's a terrible indictment that one very special limited edition guitar has attracted a certain sector of the scum of the Earth to buy one for (IMO, of course) repugnant purposes.

As always, YMMV.

msp_thumbup.gif

Pip.

(*) To put this in perspective the four long-term forum members who responded in this thread have amassed, between them, 36,000 posts to their names.

I know post count is hardly 100% representative and foolproof against idiocy but even so....