Gibson Brands Forums

SG with coil-splitting, neck profile question

Riffster

Thanks, that's good news, I am looking into getting another Gibson and this one is an option.

I actually went to GC on Sunday and looked at an ES-335, an SG Standard and an SG 61. basically I am looking for a lighter Gibson for those days when I have discomfort in my back.

There was a SilverBurst with coil-splitting on the wall but I did not grab it since I did not know it had a different neck profile than the Standard.

Also, the specs on MF list the logo as silk-screened. Is it? I wouldn't think that'd be the case on an SG Standard.

Alright, I have one on the way, GC did not have it in White so I had to order from MF.

The neck on the ones I tried felt great, I am really hoping the one I get is very much the same as the ones I tried.

Well I got my first SG ever,

The fit and finish are very good except for a very faint mark on the edge of the body by the control knobs.

This white nitro finish is just as good an idea as white pants during a rainy day.

The neck is great, less square than the ones I tried at GC. 60's neck but with still thick enoug at the first frets.

Here is the weird part...the fretboard is Rosewood [confused] are these SG coming out with Rosewood now? or did I get a fluke?

The Rosewood has a nice even grain just the way I like it but Ebony fretboard was a consideration in buying this specific model and the guitar altogether, I feel a bit confused right now I must admit. Change of specs is one thing but change of woods another.

The Burstbuckers sound much brighter and thin than my Les Paul R8 (knowing my R8 has a BB2 on the bridge). I am surprised by the huge difference.

Anyway I am getting acquainted with the guitar right now.

I do plan to send Gibson an e-mail and see what is up with this fretboard.

Bad day to take pics outside, we have a gloomy overcast but here is what the best I could do.

DSCF1573.jpg

DSCF1571.jpg

DSCF1569.jpg

DSCF1562.jpg

And the Rosewood fretboard...

DSCF1565.jpg

Well I returned the guitar, not getting that ebony rosewood was going to bother me since it was one of the considerations of buying this guitar.

Also the pickups did not have the sound I am looking for on this guitar.

The search for an SG does continue for sure.

Archived