Gibson Brands Forums

whats a very good tube amp with little feedback/hissing?

jerrylo913

Hi Jerry,

Are you set on swapping the amp? Have you done any problem analysis?

Does the hissing happen if nothing is plugged in? If so, maybe an amp tech or Vox could advise. I suspect, but I'm not an expert, that it could be a faulty cap.

If not,

- does the amp hiss equally with humbucker and single coil guitars?

- have you tried plugging the guitar in directly i.e. guitar -> lead -> amp and no effects?

- have you tried a different lead?

- does your amp hiss at home or just in church?

RN

i noticed it depends where you plug it in....at home in my room it hisses here and there. Down stairs in the living room no hissing at all unless you turn on the lights....i only took it to church twice, i tried two different oulet ...so my guess would be i just need to find a good outlet.

have you guys tried using those outlet converter thats suppose to eliminate ground loop? i wonder if that would help?

Room wiring, fluorescent lights. If you have a friend with a tube amp try his in the same locations and see if it reacts similarly. Sometimes the polarity of an outlet might be a problem. AC30 is a good amp. A good music store will allow you to take an amp to the church, or your home to check it out, if you have something else in mind you might try this also. a fender twin reverb reissue is a quite, nice sounding amp.

peace

Maybe a good power conditioner is in your future, it sounds like an electrical issue or grounding issue. Worth having a tech look at it, but also worth looking into a good power conditioner. If it has an ground switch on it like a Fender Twin, have you toggle it in those noise producing outlets?

i noticed it depends where you plug it in....at home in my room it hisses here and there. Down stairs in the living room no hissing at all unless you turn on the lights....i only took it to church twice' date=' i tried two different oulet ...so my guess would be i just need to find a good outlet.

have you guys tried using those outlet converter thats suppose to eliminate ground loop? i wonder if that would help?[/quote']

Maybe a good power conditioner is in your future' date=' it sounds like an electrical issue or grounding issue. Worth having a tech look at it, but also worth looking into a good power conditioner. If it has an ground switch on it like a Fender Twin, have you toggle it in those noise producing outlets?

[/quote']

not sure if it has a ground switch but thanks for mentioning a power conditioner! we have one at church, but i'll have to use it and try it out! Thanks a bunch...

Maybe a good power conditioner is in your future' date=' it sounds like an electrical issue or grounding issue. Worth having a tech look at it, but also worth looking into a good power conditioner. If it has an ground switch on it like a Fender Twin, have you toggle it in those noise producing outlets?

[/quote']

thanks for the advice! i ran the amp through a power conditioner..now i can really say it has close to zero hum and hissing....i'm really enjoying the sound i'm getting now!

• 4 years later...

My hot list for hiss.

1 tubes, most common , the first gain stage is the most important , be the first thing I checked,

2 plate resistors would be next ,

3 resistors in b + decoupling .

Humm would be floresent lights or 60 cycle hum, is different ,

Sure it's hiss?

1 cuause is still a bad tube , would for sure check this out first .

Oops just saw your post, it's was hum.

When taking a look at your avatar, chances are that hissing is mainly caused by your FX setup. This can be reduced by a more sophisticated order of the chained FX and by using a noise gate which is appropriately set. Noise is also increased in case of inappropriate application of several makeup gain and attenuation stages within a signal chain. E. g. a volume (not a gain) pedal should be the last link when feeding stompbox signals into an amp.

Most high-class tube amps such as the VOX AC-30 produce relatively little noise by their own on principle. If the amp seems to be the cause, it is useful to check or have checked the tubes for function and/or contact transition resistances.

Any high-gain setting or effect will amplify any noise apparent prior to it in the signal chain. The physical limit is known as Johnson noise. Knowing about and calculating with it will give a reasonable insight into the topic (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnson%E2%80%93Nyquist_noise).

Finally, do you need high-gain settings when playing in a church?

thanks for the advice! i ran the amp through a power conditioner..now i can really say it has close to zero hum and hissing....i'm really enjoying the sound i'm getting now!

Take care for your electrical safety!

As well as for hum and noise, faulty ground connections often are the cause for electrocution of electric guitar and bass players, e. g. when they touch a microphone and so the electrical circle is closed through their body.

I hardly survived an accident in the described setup on September 29th, 1982 in a TV recording studio at the former Südwestfunk Baden-Baden, Germany, a public-law radio and television broadcasting station. They operated a ground-free balanced power line there which is long forbidden now. All balanced power lines must be grounded since many years, too.

Archived