Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Les Paul Serial Number Verification

JSands

I am looking to buy a Gibson Les Paul off eBay, but I want to verify that it is a genuine USA Gibson so I'm not cheated out of my money.

Can you check the serial number 009790568 please. It should come back as a 2008 Standard made in 2009 in Honeyburst.

Many thanks,

JSands

Actually, some fakes are stamped with "real" (stolen/reused) Gibson serial numbers.

You can ask Gibson to verify the serial number along with a description of the guitar it's supposed to be on - 1-800-4GIBSON (1-800-444-2766) or service@gibson.com

Another option is to post some photos here (or email them to Gibson) in order to get an opinion based on a visual inspection of the guitar. (overall shot of the front and back, as well as a close-up of the front of the headstock and a close-up the back of the headstock).

you mentioned not wanting to get ripped off, which is understandable.....

that said, i'll add that e-bay offers some "unbelieveably low prices" on lots of Gibsons......and the reason for the rediculously low price is that it's either a fake, or a seriously damaged authentic Gibson.

if the pricing is close to the going used price for that guitar at major retailers, then it's most likely legit.

if the price is "deal of a lifetime" low.......then it's not what the seller says it is.

• 2 months later...

Anyone have any thoughts on this one? Does anyone know if it has the "push/pull" potentiometers? I am a little hesitant because the seller has not returned a couple questions that I asked.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Gibson-Les-Paul-Traditional-Pro-Goldtop-/120738319373?pt=Guitar&hash=item1c1c908c0d

Thanks!

Actually, some fakes are stamped with "real" (stolen/reused) Gibson serial numbers.

You can ask Gibson to verify the serial number along with a description of the guitar it's supposed to be on - 1-800-4GIBSON (1-800-444-2766) or service@gibson.com

Another option is to post some photos here (or email them to Gibson) in order to get an opinion based on a visual inspection of the guitar. (overall shot of the front and back, as well as a close-up of the front of the headstock and a close-up the back of the headstock).

Anyone have any thoughts on this one? Does anyone know if it has the "push/pull" potentiometers? I am a little hesitant because the seller has not returned a couple questions that I asked.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Gibson-Les-Paul-Traditional-Pro-Goldtop-/120738319373?pt=Guitar&hash=item1c1c908c0d

Thanks!

It looks like a nice piece. I recently bought a Les Paul Standard 2008 in Desert Burst(last Saturday to be precise)for 1800 Euros - 2584 dollars current exchange rate. I looked around quite a bit and visited a few stores. I think there is added value in seeing/playing the guitar before buying it, especially given the love that goes into making these beautiful guitars. Point is, unless you are really set on that particular model (claimed by the seller to be a limited edition etc.) I would tend to agree with RCT's earlier post, and not exclude looking at purchasing new from a store. Alternatively, if the seller is close enough to you perhaps you could arrange a viewing. Sorry, can't comment on the potentionmeters (am new to the world of Gibson) but thought I would share my limited experience given my recent purchase. Good luck!

Anyone have any thoughts on this one? Does anyone know if it has the "push/pull" potentiometers? I am a little hesitant because the seller has not returned a couple questions that I asked. ....

A Trad-Pro should have P/P splitting.

That BIN price is way out of line. A brand new Trad-Pro is about $2K - http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/gibson-les-paul-standard-traditional-pro-electric-guitar . . The guitar you're looking at looks legit to me and a limited edition of sorts - probably the reason for the jacked price.

The seller mentions this is a relisting so he didn't get his price last time around - maybe he's to cranky to answer emails on it.

Call 1 800 4 Gibson. They might could tell you for sure.

The Guitar Dater Project lists this:

Your guitar was made at the

Nashville Plant, TN, USA

April 7th, 2009

Production Number: 268

Guitar Dater project does not have access to Gibson Serial number information. The info they spread is not reliable and in some cases (intentionally or unintentionally) works into the hands of fake guitar vendors. Read more under http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Lifestyle/Features/beware-web-sites-722/

If you mail some pictures of the guitar to Service or send us the eBay auction number so we can see pics online, we will be happy to trace the serial for you in Gibson's serial number archive. Thanks.

• 2 months later...

Hello All - I recivied a guitar and I wonder how much it is worth - can you help me with your professional expertise ?

On top of the headstock is sign " Ephiphone", below vertical "GIBSON" and on the other side on silver plate:

HAND-CRAFTED

IN KOREA BY

EPIPHONE

Quality Since 1910

The Epiphone Company

Nashville

TENNESSEE USA

thanks ...

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

Hi guys !

I would like to have your opinion on this guitar :

It says that it's a DLM-CE but I can't find any information at all on this model on the internet, and before buying this guitar, I'd like to be sure that it's a real one.

If you guys could help me it will be very nice. Also, if you know the detail price back when this guitar used to be new ? Any other information would be helpful...

Thank you very much :)

post-54184-002920800 1362702285_thumb.jpeg

post-54184-010567100 1362702298_thumb.jpeg

post-54184-076389900 1362702303_thumb.jpeg

post-54184-038453600 1362702310_thumb.jpeg

Look at the bottom of the label - "Hand Crafted in Canada"

This is a guitar made in the old Garrison Guitars factory in Newfoundland. Gibson purchased the factory and produced (and/or rebranded some guitars) there, then eventually shut it down. The Gibson Songmaker was produced there. The Songmaker had a model DSM-CE.

• 2 weeks later...

It would be cool if Gibson could authenticate there guitars for the seller. Say, Send Gibson a Pic and serial number to verify that the guitar is made by Gibson. Or if you could send a pic and the serial number to an expert to have guitar authenticated Kinda like "Carfax" for guitars. I belive the Gibson Les Paul is the most counterfeited guitar out there. The counterfeiters are getting better and better every year.

It would be cool if Gibson could authenticate there guitars for the seller. Say, Send Gibson a Pic and serial number to verify that the guitar is made by Gibson. Or if you could send a pic and the serial number to an expert to have guitar authenticated Kinda like "Carfax" for guitars. I belive the Gibson Les Paul is the most counterfeited guitar out there. The counterfeiters are getting better and better every year.

I agree but I can't believe that Gibson will be willing to spend the time and money verifying every inquiry we might have. I just try to buy new ones from licensed dealers and assume I don't have to worry about fakes.

• 8 months later...

Hi I'm looking to buy a Les Paul, just wanted to know if it's a fake or not serial number is 70108274.

Which should make it a 1978 model produced on Jan. 10th,made in Kalamazoo and was the 276th instrument stamped that day?

The thing that got me suspecting it's authenticity is the number is too close to an example on Gibson web site..

I'll upload the pics I have.. Thanks for your help..

post-61458-046516100 1385601231_thumb.jpg post-61458-025409800 1385601274_thumb.jpgpost-61458-054653100 1385602405_thumb.jpg

Can you get a pic that shows the entire back of the headstock? It would also be nice to see the fretboard in moe detail. A clear pic of the front of the body would also be good.

I agree but I can't believe that Gibson will be willing to spend the time and money verifying every inquiry we might have. I just try to buy new ones from licensed dealers and assume I don't have to worry about fakes.

I've queried lots of guitars with Gibson...not that I thought they were fake,...more to check that the guitar was 100% stock/original etc,.....Gibson WILL help you as much as they can,but their database is not that great for older guitars.

But they will help,or try to help any query....ANYTIME.(only my experience though,....gibson customer service is second to none).

Posting pics on here is as good as anything else...somebody on here WILL have owned your ''query'' model at some time and can usually help.

Hi I'm looking to buy a Les Paul, just wanted to know if it's a fake or not serial number is 70108274...

It all looks fine from those snaps but those snaps are tiny - the biggest is only 33kb! - and we need to see different bits of the guitar in detail.

The shot of it in the case could be any decent copy; the serial number snap is blurred and cropped. The peghead looks fine but it's hardly foolproof.

Sorry I can't be more help but to help you more you'll need to help us more.

P.

• 2 years later...

Archived