Gibson Brands Forums

bridge and stop bar question

icantbuyafender

I am looking to order a bridge for my melody maker that is sporting a trapeze tailpiece and still has the wrap around bridge on it.

I was wondering if the inserts for the wraptail bridge are compatible with a tuneomatic bridge... like could i swap out the wraptail and fit a bridge's posts in the existing inserts?

thanks.

heres a picture of the guitar so you can better understand my question...

CIMG0055.jpg

Guest FarnsBarns

I don't know if this would be at all practical, or if you might get breakage, but it might be worth trying taking the string from the trapese, under the stop bridge, backwards through hole and over the top of the bridge like a conventional stop bridge. You could file any sharp corner down on the underside.

Why have you got a trapese on a guitar with a stop bridge?

I don't know if this would be at all practical, or if you might get breakage, but it might be worth trying taking the string from the trapese, under the stop bridge, backwards through hole and over the top of the bridge like a conventional stop bridge. You could file any sharp corner down on the underside.

Why have you got a trapese on a guitar with a stop bridge?

cause i wanted to fit a TOM and ditch the stop bar. Plus i love the way a trapeze looks.

Lets me make harp noises when i pick past the bridge. but really, purely for looks.

Guest FarnsBarns

Another idea forming here, if you have, or were to buy, a stop bridge with the little grub screws, you could drill holes through your mounting posts and put a screw through from the other side to hold the bridge in place.

Guest FarnsBarns

cause i wanted to fit a TOM and ditch the stop bar. Plus i love the way a trapeze looks.

Have you considered the ABR1 T-o-M, they are different to the Nashville. They have much thinner studs screwed and bonded into the body and the the thumb wheels move up and down on those independently on those.

I'm pretty sure you'll find that those studs will fit between the inserts you currently have.

whatcha mean??

the inserts from the wraptail ... is there a bridge that uses that same size post?

thats what im looking for. hell i dont even know the width of the inserts my guitar has...

i suppose measuring then find a TOM with posts that use the same size bushings is the way to go...

Guest FarnsBarns

whatcha mean??

the inserts from the wraptail ... is there a bridge that uses that same size post?

thats what im looking for. hell i dont even know the width of the inserts my guitar has...

i suppose measuring then find a TOM with posts that use the same size bushings is the way to go...

That's not gonna happen, the only reason for such a product would be to allow fitment of a trapese to a guitar with a stop tail wrap around. That's basically no market at all.

Look at the ABR1 on a 50s RI. There's no inserts at all, there are studs screwed in to the body. These would fit between the threaded inserts you currently have.

I think if this is for looks alone I would advise you just take the trapese off again. If you take issue with the wrap around because of intonation, there are several replacement wrap around available that have individualy adjustable saddles now.

Guest FarnsBarns

the routes are 1/2in on the gibby wraptail

that means an epi touneomatic should fit...

They have a metric thread, Gibby use imperial threads. Your inserts are also too far apart.

Guest FarnsBarns

bah, found that out right now.

i just went with a leo quan badass type bridge that i had laying about.

CIMG0062.jpg

It's not a great picture but it looks like that bridge is another stop tail wrap around type. The think is, I would worry that it might fall out/move and also that it is not being pulled tight against the posts which, in theory, will have a detrimental effect on tone.

It's not a great picture but it looks like that bridge is another stop tail wrap around type. The think is, I would worry that it might fall out/move and also that it is not being pulled tight against the posts which, in theory, will have a detrimental effect on tone.

Yeah its a wraptail. It'll suffice until my tonepros locking studs come in.

Guest FarnsBarns

Yeah its a wraptail. It'll suffice until my tonepros locking studs come in.

I assume you've played it and are happy so it is fine!

Archived