Gibson Brands Forums

Humbucker/Pickup/Knob set up question

Oopssorryy

Currently I'm gathering up a parts list for my Epiphone SG Special, for some custom modifications. I'm going after a Fat Strat set up with H/S/H, with coil splits on the humbuckers, a 5 way Fender Style switch, and a kill switch on the single coil. Right now I've got my heart set on Seymour Duncan '59 humbuckers for the neck and bridge placements, but I'm lost on what single coil would sound good with these humbuckers. I would like to stick with Seymour Duncan, because I am a fan of their tone and quality, and I ten to play a good bit of Zeppelin, Floyd, a bit of blues, and I'm a big fan of Tool. I was thinking of using the Duncan Vintage Staggered SSl-1. If anyone can help me, I would appreciate it very much.

I haven't heard of anyone doing an SG with that pickup combo, but it sounds like a GREAT idea.

Having a single coil in the middle position is a recipee for great tone. Most strat players I know (and especially me) use the middle pickup the most. And when it comes down to it, a single coil will always sound better than a humbucker that is split, as there is always a comprimise.

As for your choice of pups, I think you nailed it. I get the impression you know what you are doing. The duncan '59 is a go-to pup, and they always sound good.

As for the single coil ssl-1, that is a good choice as well. The only issue is a single coil strat pup really needs a 250k volume and tone pot to really sound the best, so you might think about how you will go about your volume and tone knobs and how you will control it. Perhaps a set up with master volume and tone for the humbuckers and a volume and tone for the single coil?

I've been trying to figure out a good knob set up and am constantly changing my mind. This one thing I'm not sure about is, how much does running a Single Coil off of a 500K pot affect the tone? I've always been told that it does but never have actually heard one. Would you happen to have any links to such a thing?

Can I have this thread moved to the Epiphone Electric sub forum, moderators? I just want to get more information on Humbucker/Single Coil setups and the affects of running a Single Coil off of a 500K pot. And Some knob setups, I'm lost in a sea of arrangements and don't know what to go for.

Any thoughts on doing a knob set up like the Epiphone Emperor Regent (the models with six knobs). Here's a link to the guitar in question so you can get a good idea of what I'm talking about.Epiphone Emperor Regent pics With a 5 way fender style switch sitting over the bank of knobs, and push pull pots on the Humbucker tone knobs, I think it would the the best. What do you guys think?

Can I have this thread moved to the Epiphone Electric sub forum, moderators? I just want to get more information on Humbucker/Single Coil setups and the affects of running a Single Coil off of a 500K pot. And Some knob setups, I'm lost in a sea of arrangements and don't know what to go for.

I'm not a mod here, but I wouldn't worry too much. Everyone reads the same stuff here, regardless of the sub forum.

I've been trying to figure out a good knob set up and am constantly changing my mind. This one thing I'm not sure about is, how much does running a Single Coil off of a 500K pot affect the tone? I've always been told that it does but never have actually heard one. Would you happen to have any links to such a thing?

Not all single coils are the same design, but a strat pickup as origionally designed is vioced to use a 250k pot. When it is used with a 500k pot, it becomes to bright, it becomes dry sounding, and doesn't have the dynamics that you get when you use a 250k. The same goes for the tone pot, in that wiring it without will sound very different as well.

You have to keep in mind that while there are lots of options you can do, what makes it worthwhile and usable can be a whole different matter. Sometimes trying to make it do to much will make it not much good for anything. There is a reason why not all guitars have all these different options on them.

If you are wanting to go from a gibsom wiring and sound to a fender wiring and sound with a 5 way switch, it is not going to happen. There are some Ibanez guitars that have a clever way of switching, and you could copy that.

Dimarzio makes a few single coil pickups that are made to sound good with 500k pots. They don't sound quite the same, but that is what they are made for.

In addition to that, if you are going to do coil splitting, keep in mind that regardless of how many wires the humbucker comes with, not all sound good in "single coil" mode. They do make humbuckers that are voiced to have a better sound when splitting the coils. If you find one made that way you like, great. If you expect to be able to have a vintage PAF sound and then split the coil and have a good strat sound, it can't be done.

So, really the question here is what are YOU looking for and why do you want to do it. Where do you want to take your comprimises?

Well I would like some good/vintage sounding pickups, that still sound ok once split. I would like to do as little wood work as possible, it scares me quite badly. I mean I cutting my guitar! My guitar teacher came up with an idea of doing a standard Gibson looking set up with four knobs. Two of them would be Humbucker Volume 500K pot(I use my volume much more than tone, it's how I was taught) one would be Humbucker Tone 500K Pot(push/pull pots, would coil split the neck pick up) and one Single Coil Volume knob 250K pot. My brother in law has a degree in electronics, so the wiring will not be a problem. Does Gibson sell the 6 ways they put in the Jimmy Page Custom? That would be perfect! If not how much larger are Rotary 5 way switches, when compared to my stock 3 way switch? And I would like a On/Off switch for the Single coil, for when I want that Gibson tone with both Humbuckers active.

I would like all of this because I am very attached to my SG and don't want to buy another guitar for better humbuckers. That, and I would like to be able to get close to a Strat sound with the SG, so I don't have to buy a Strat. I don't want to buy a Strat because I really like my SG and don't want another guitar, I don't like the Scale Length, and they're a bit harder to adjust the action to my taste.

• 8 months later...

Well I would like some good/vintage sounding pickups, that still sound ok once split. I would like to do as little wood work as possible, it scares me quite badly. I mean I cutting my guitar! My guitar teacher came up with an idea of doing a standard Gibson looking set up with four knobs. Two of them would be Humbucker Volume 500K pot(I use my volume much more than tone, it's how I was taught) one would be Humbucker Tone 500K Pot(push/pull pots, would coil split the neck pick up) and one Single Coil Volume knob 250K pot. My brother in law has a degree in electronics, so the wiring will not be a problem. Does Gibson sell the 6 ways they put in the Jimmy Page Custom? That would be perfect! If not how much larger are Rotary 5 way switches, when compared to my stock 3 way switch? And I would like a On/Off switch for the Single coil, for when I want that Gibson tone with both Humbuckers active.

I would like all of this because I am very attached to my SG and don't want to buy another guitar for better humbuckers. That, and I would like to be able to get close to a Strat sound with the SG, so I don't have to buy a Strat. I don't want to buy a Strat because I really like my SG and don't want another guitar, I don't like the Scale Length, and they're a bit harder to adjust the action to my taste.

Try some TV Jones Powertrons!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Archived