Gibson Guitar Board: Custom Shop Es-355 with Maestro (Vibrola) tailpiece - Gibson Guitar Board

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Custom Shop Es-355 with Maestro (Vibrola) tailpiece

#1 User is offline   JM_355 

• Group: Members

Posted 19 September 2008 - 01:35 PM

I purchased a Custom Shop Es- 355 in cherry with a stop bar tailpiece a few months ago. Now that it has been setup to perfection, I am very pleased with it.

Even with perfection, there is always room for tweaking. Does Gibson sell the Maestro/Vibrola trem as replacement parts? Most of the 355's I remember having G.A.S. for as a teen had one. I'm sure it would hurt the resale value, but I don't plan on selling this guitar anytime soon.

Having a maestro trem isn't a necessity for me, but more of just a cosmetic extra that would be the icing on the cake. Any suggestions?

Posted Image

#2 User is offline   JM_355 

Posted 24 September 2008 - 02:09 PM

Looks like there are a lot of custom guitar requests lately.

#3 User is offline   Custom Admin 

• Advanced Member

Posted 24 September 2008 - 03:52 PM

I purchased a Custom Shop Es- 355 in cherry with a stop bar tailpiece a few months ago. Now that it has been setup to perfection, I am very pleased with it.

Even with perfection, there is always room for tweaking. Does Gibson sell the Maestro/Vibrola trem as replacement parts? Most of the 355's I remember having G.A.S. for as a teen had one. I'm sure it would hurt the resale value, but I don't plan on selling this guitar anytime soon.

Having a maestro trem isn't a necessity for me, but more of just a cosmetic extra that would be the icing on the cake. Any suggestions?

Posted Image

we don't sell the maestro as an aftermarket part...sorry.

#4 User is offline   LerxstLee 

• Advanced Member

Posted 24 September 2008 - 04:25 PM

http://www.allparts....002,Product.asp

They usually have the long travel bridge also I looked quick but could not find the link .

Same as the ones SOME guitar makers use now , these are M.I.Japan , not Germany .
Best to you

#5 User is offline   JM_355 

Posted 25 September 2008 - 10:12 AM

Thanks for the replies. That trem on Allparts is what I am looking for.

This is a day late and a dollar short, but for not much more cash, I could have had my Es-355 built by the Gibson Custom Shop with a Maestro from the beginning, right?

#6 User is offline   TheLiveSoundGuy 

• Advanced Member

Posted 25 September 2008 - 11:08 AM

I'm kinda with you on the trem. I've thought about about putting one on my Sheraton for years now.

To be honest with you though, yours is a very beautiful guitar just as she is!

#7 User is offline   JM_355 

Posted 26 September 2008 - 09:29 AM

Thanks for the compliments on the guitar. When I was a kid (which was not too long ago since I'm 26 years old) I remember seeing a picture of the 1963 Gibson Catalog cover and wanting the red guitar with the gold trem.

I am most likely going to leave "Christine" the way she is and not make any major tweaks.

But I notice in another forum, there is a request for a Les Paul Custom Special Order. If I made a request through the dealer or the nearest authorized Gibson service center, could I get an estimate as to how much it would cost to have Gibson install a maestro trem? Or how about stereo varitone with the cut off switch a la the Alex Lifeson model?

Do they even do post- production customization to CS guitars?

The way I see it, I spent a lot on the 355 already, so a little more to add a few finishing touches would be worth the expense.

#8 User is offline   Custom Admin 

• Advanced Member

Posted 26 September 2008 - 09:34 AM

Do they even do post- production customization to CS guitars?

we do not...sorry about that.

#9 User is offline   JohnMcClane5000 

• Advanced Member

Posted 03 February 2010 - 12:58 AM

You could have bought an ES-355 with bigsby la 1959 (without the redundand stereo out and Vari-Tone no one really liked anyway).... I'm about to buy me one of those! I'm just not sure whether I want a red or a black one... But prices are quite good for these, especially used ones (I want to use mine on stage, cause that's what great guitars are here for...!)

#10 User is offline   Rushview 

• Advanced Member

Posted 05 February 2010 - 06:35 AM

The Bigsby model wasn't out back then. You had Stoptail and that was it.

#11 User is offline   JM_355 

Posted 18 February 2010 - 06:19 AM

Update: I decided to leave the stopbar on the Es-355. I found a good tech to install a bigsby or a vibrola/maestro copy. I would have located a "custom made" plate to cover the stopbar holes. But when it came time to turn on the drill, I changed my mind.

The only changes I have made in recent months was adding the Gibson gold -tipped reflector knobs.

When I purchased the 355 back in the spring of 2008, I had the option of buying the bigsby variant, but chose the stopbar because at the time I barely used the trem on my Strat. I also could have choose the Lifeson Es-355, but opted for the Cherry 355. The bigsby or maestro do add to the looks of the guitar but for now I am going to leave "Christine" the way she is.

Here it is pictured with Elitist LP.

Posted Image

#12 User is offline   DasViken 

Posted 22 January 2012 - 12:47 AM

Hi ! I am new on this forum and looking for the same vibrato.
I found one for you en ebay : here... if you are rich...!

I am looking for one of these but they are very rare and expensive... So, since Gibson doesn't "sell the maestro as an aftermarket part". I made my mind and will try to build my own version of the Maestro. So far I can't find anything better than this image :Posted Image, and a few photos.

Does any one has blueprints or technical data to share ? I don't really care to have an exact copy, I am just customising a LesPaul style guitar, with a "end of the world" look, the Maestro will just be perfect (without its cover plate, for sure) on it...

Many thanks for your replies.

#13 User is offline   pfox14 

• BANNED

Posted 31 January 2012 - 12:49 PM

Have you checked ZZ Guitarworks no modification Bigsby mounting system? -

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users