Gibson Brands Forums

long-shaft linear pots

hink

hink,

Today is your lucky day.

Sorry L5Larry I love Stewart MacDonald but I believe they only have A500k (audio) not B500k (linear).

I spent this past summer going nuts over finding these potentiometers. Sadly Gibson doesn't make or sell the B500k poteniometer.

Before giving you the answer I need a small favor. I won't get anything from this but I would appreciate you telling the following company that you got the info from me. I want them to know I'm helping promote their company.

Well anyone ordering give 'em my info please :

So give 'em my email : (my screen name here @comcast.net) tell 'em Al sent you.

Now for your link :

http://www.rsguitarworks.net/rsstore/product_info.php?cPath=45_65&products_id=386

They don't list it as linear but trust me it is I bought them already. I had called seeking the B500k and they recommend the link above. It's a custom made CTS "Super Pot". They assured me it was just like a linear pot and would fit my Les Paul. The website explicitly says for volume not tone. And their description qualifies for a volume potentiometer.

And lucky for you they lowered the price.

You have to believe me you'll be very happy with these potentiometers.

Note: They also have the A500k long shaft pot. I ordered that as well but found my Gibson A500ks had a little more output, when I checked on the multimeter, so I used those instead. VERY important the Gibson pots a slightly longer, it's not by much I'm sorry I don't remember the exact length. So you may want to use the CTS A500k, they are better than the CTS you A500k you can pick up at Guitar Center. Here's the link :

http://www.rsguitarworks.net/rsstore/product_info.php?cPath=45_65&products_id=219

They recommend you use them together.

Again please let them know how you heard about their company :

So give 'em my email : (my screen name here @comcast.net) tell 'em Al sent you.

Good luck.

al

hey guys - thanks for the info

unfortunately, neither stew mac nor tubes & more have what i need. i've seen the super pots at rs before, but they won't work for tone either. great volume pot (thier own custom logarithm) but not really what i'm looking for. anyone else out there? i can't be the only one looking for this, and Gibson only makes it in 300k. i'm even willing to go to 1M and cut the resistance myself.

hink,

When I received my "Super Pots" and put them on the multimeter they were indeed 500k (actually more than 500) and they behaved as linear. They didn't drop out on the multimeter and increased gradually.

Rs makes the A500k long shaft that goes with the "Super pot".

The only thing left is getting a short shaft B500k and putting in a long shaft. I tried this route as well and it was a bumpy road. In the end the "Super pots" save me.

Good luck.

al

Al - I really appreciate your help. I wasn't sure if you knew how to meter a pot to check its taper, but now I know. How are the super pots for volume control, in your opinion? Also, I hadn't considered switching shafts. Is this possible, and if so, difficult?

drew

hink,

The super pots work perfectly for volume pots.

Yes I know how to meter the pots, they were over 500k and there was no

drop off, stayed consitant from 0 - 10 unlike audio taper.

I wasn't happy Frankensteining a short shaft to long, but you may have better luck.

I don't think you'll find a B500k long shaft in the U.S. Searching the 'net if found some

in the U.K. but didn't ship to the U.S.

Archived