Gibson Brands Forums

Firebrand SG? ID help please

jadedbat

Hey gang :) Put yer eyes on this SG and tell me if you think this is a Gibson Firebrand SG...that is what I'm leaning towards in my research. Also I'd love your best guess on pickups.. are these Tim Shaw pickups? They are stamped 2,737,284 and then an ink stamp on top of that. Guitar dater project puts the serial at:

Your guitar was made at the

Nashville Plant, TN, USA

November 15th, 1982

Production Number: 427

I am digging this guitar but it's a tad different than most SGs I have ran into. 1 zebra, dot inlays (nice ones), blank TRC, side jack, Came w/Chainsaw case. Bought it from a buddy today. I'd love to hear your thoughts. tnx :)

5688624725_3d3207cc2c_b.jpg

5689197040_59cf73021d_b.jpg

5688625065_0054217a86_b.jpg

5689197376_7e66585a70_b.jpg

5689197620_e9daeb0bdc_b.jpg

Yes.

Firebrand/The "SG".

Some variations on this model.

Some units actually having the Gibson logo branded into the headstock and a natural finish.

Others don't.

Some are Firebrand. The "Sg" Std.

Others are Firebrand The "SG "Deluxe.

Some are painted.

"Velvet Brick" bridge pickup.

One of the few SG models with the jack on the side, not the top.

http://everythingsg.com/index.php/firebrand.html

SG-1979.jpgGibsonThePaulTheSG.jpg

Sweet :) Tnx very much for a very informative answer.

So mine I am thinking would be the mahogany Firebrand "The SG" Deluxe I am thinking. I question the "Velvet Brick" pickup in the bridge in my case because I get a dc resistance of: 7.27 on the bridge and 7.22 on the neck. I gather that the "Velvet Brick" is a hotter beast. The pickups are REALLY killer. They offer a ton of bite and warmth. I'm gonna have to lean towards Tim Shaws even more now because I took a peek at the spacers and they are white on both pickups. I own a pair of 79' T Tops and these smoke them in a weird way. They really do crush. (for rock/blues)

Ya the side jack threw me off as well. The bridge is a bit different as well from a standard tune-o-matic.. underneath it has a couple different positions to mount it on the studs and the saddles are funky as well but seem pretty cool. A bit of a unique guitar and I flipping love it. :) Thanks again.

i have an '82. i sold my walnut '79 more than a decade ago and just had to have another one so when i went looking i discovered the Deluxe version which is painted.

yes, tim shaw pups. yes, velvet brick zebra. dc resistance correct.

the earlier versions had the larger/wider headstock and harmonica bridge and tulip tuners. later versions had the regular tune-o-matic bridge. not sure which years had the actual 'firebranded' logo that was burned/carved into the headstock. all had the side jack. all had the "Firebrand" designation on the truss rod cover. chainsaw case is era correct, don't know for a fact they came with the guitar but i've seen many listings/auctions with a firebrand paired w/ chainsaw case; some have brown interior, some blue interior; slight latch and cosmetic variations.

5228210692_8c49225f86_z.jpg

5228210728_30707eccc2_z.jpg

5228210916_e35afa9851_z.jpg

5227615509_5f01c152cd_z.jpg

5227615661_460c5c5199_z.jpg

5462239311_bfda69e321_z.jpg

i have since done several mods, mostly cosmetic: Grover (used, period correct) tulip tuners, plain 1-ply truss rod cover w/ black screws, HipShot Xtender, relic'd knob pointers, white switch tip, Nashville T.O.M. bridge (used, from an '84 Gibson) and Gotoh aluminum stop tailpiece.

5401674361_eee048ee7b_z.jpg

5402274364_3f43e6a676_b.jpg

i absolutely love this guitar, even more so than my '79 in some ways because of the vintage mojo, killer looks and awesome sound.

Yes.

Firebrand/The "SG".

Some variations on this model.

Some units actually having the Gibson logo branded into the headstock and a natural finish.

Others don't.

Some are Firebrand. The "Sg" Std.

Others are Firebrand The "SG "Deluxe.

Some are painted.

"Velvet Brick" bridge pickup.

One of the few SG models with the jack on the side, not the top.

http://everythingsg.com/index.php/firebrand.html

SG-1979.jpgGibsonThePaulTheSG.jpg

Only time you will see a Gibson marketed at $499!

Archived