Gibson Brands Forums

Sheraton Pickup Finish

BillyJazz

I have a Sheraton II that I bought brand new back in 2009. I love to play it but the other day I noticed that the "gold" finish on the pickups is wearing off and is looking like chrome. Is that normal? Not sure if I should contact Epiphone warranty people or not. Anyone else notice this situation.

I have a Sheraton II that I bought brand new back in 2009. I love to play it but the other day I noticed that the "gold" finish on the pickups is wearing off and is looking like chrome. Is that normal? Not sure if I should contact Epiphone warranty people or not. Anyone else notice this situation.

BillyJazz, It's completely normal. I have a 2005 Sheraton II (NA) and the gold plating has been wearing off. In fact, I kind of like that look. Gives the guitar

a little mojo. [thumbup] So don't bother calling the Epiphone people as they'll tell you the same thing, but they won't mention anything about mojo. [rolleyes]

Congratulations, your Epiphone Sheraton is now "broken in".

That happens to just about all Epiphones as the gold plating is extremely thin and wears off almost by looking at it. Normal "wear" on the pickup covers, bridge, tuner knobs. I seriously doubt Epiphone would replace your guitar, or the pickups because the gold is wearing off. No harm in trying I suppose. Let us know what "they" say after you have gone through the motions, OK.

That means you're playing it. Keep up the good work.

I just bought a used 2006 that was never played. Which

is great, because I got to be the first. It stayed in its

case and still had the Epi decals on the pickups. But,

even staying in the case, the gold lost its shine and is

now a dull vintage patina look. I like it.

BTW - I don't believe the warranty covers finish items or

normal wear.

THARS GOLD IN THEM THAR HILLZ!!!!! Just kidding, perfectly normal, and if you call Epiphone, they'll tell you that their coffee is cold, and the creamer is old, the fridge aint cold, and last night they bowled. In other words? Don't waste your phone time.

Thanks for all the replies. I kind of like the change myself. And Yes I am playing, playing, playing.

Yeah the thing is Bill, all gold plated hardware will wear off, maybe on more expensive guitars it'll last a little longer, but not much. The only way to preserve it is to never handle it, I have a few guitars in that camp such as my '77 Ibanez Custom Agent, but that thing is 34 years old and in showroom condition, I'd like to keep it that way, and that's an exception, rather than the rule, with most of the others in my collection.

Archived