Gibson Brands Forums

Just how good is she?

jaxson50

Very talented but not even close to having the range of some of the female singers out there. Sarah Brightman is pretty much on the top of every list made for the female vocal range, even if you include opera singers. not only does she have a pleasant pop range but a true light soprano with E natural above high C ability.

I am shocked...

Two things I NEVER thought I would see in my lifetime,

That the word

'GOD' would be taken out and made unlawful in public schools,

And that someone would dis THE QUEEN OF SOUL.

It should NOT have to be said, but regardless of "range", genre, or type of music, ARETHA has got so much talent in one word or note sung that anyone who could do what she can do with it they would thank the good Lord and call it better than they could hope for.

I am shocked...

Two things I NEVER thought I would see in my lifetime,

That the word

'GOD' would be taken out and made unlawful in public schools,

And that someone would dis THE QUEEN OF SOUL.

Same thing I was thinking. How do you listen to that voice and think anything but positive thoughts?

Soul...

Yeah, I've liked Aretha but I've gotta agree that in most of her career Ella had soul over a broader range of music.

And some others too.

But then I'm heavily a "standards" guy and that spotlights Ella. Blame it on when I was brought up.

m

I have a lot of respect for Aretha. She's an amazing vocalist and she's soulful as anything.

BUT:

I simply can't listen to her very often. She's never really "tripped my trigger" musically, so to speak. Again, I have a lot of respect for what she does and who she is, and I would never put her down for any reason, but I simply never really feel a strong compulsion to listen to her...

I feel that way about a lot of music.

Milo,

I suppose that, now that I think of it, my default attitude towards any working musician is one of respect, regardless of whether or not I care for their music in particular, because I consider art a respectable pursuit and I consider the goal of entertaining others respectable in its own right, as a benefit towards society and as a cultural force, if you will. It's very hard for me to imagine a position where I could look at a musician and say that I lack respect for them, either for who they are or what they do. They'd have to do something pretty inexcusable for me to question the validity of their music--and it has to be more than a disagreement with the artist's personal values. Even artists who I find personally despicable (take, for instance, Charles Manson, who recorded some music in the 1960s before being locked up,) deserve a certain degree of respect for the artistic expression they've chosen to put forth. I figure, even if I can't stand listening to a musician, it's worth at least respecting the fact that they performed the music, regardless of whether or not it means anything to me.

It's still pretty early for me, so I'm not as lucid as I could be. Basically, I respect Aretha for her obviously present talents, for her technical skill and for her courage to perform, regardless of whether or not I'm interested in her music. That goes for others too.

XDemonknight

Yupper... I'm up earlier than usual which was a good thing 'cuz I've already gotten an unexpected work phone call while sitting at a home computer. Hmmmm.

The thing with some artists like Franklin is that she was raised in a very, very musical environment that offered some incredible opportunities to learn, feel and perform earlier than many of us.

Add the fact that she has great talent and it's a very special potential she has managed to turn into a musical career.

That last gives me a shot at noting that there are more than a few very successful pro musicians who enjoy a career of 10 or 20 years recording and on the road and then return to their home countryside and maybe do a bit of performing "on the side" while doing a more typical day job.

We've a fiddle player in the area, for example, who played years with Roy Clark and could handle about any fiddling job. But now it's a small group and they play "weekend gigs." A guitar student of mine had a cupla big label albums in the 80s and last I heard was a CPA in Cali.

Many others were plenty good enough, but didn't care for a full road lifestyle that is not a constant picnic.

So... life, and life for those with music in their soul who have an opportunity to let some of it out for their neighbors (and neighbors can be an awfully big collection of folks) is always interesting.

m

Aretha's got it, but IMO, Billie Holiday is the best female blues singer of all time.

Bingo!

I love Ella, and maybe I haven't heard enough of her stuff, but she comes in a distant third of those three. Aretha does it for me in a soulful, gospel way. I hear Billie's pain; I could listen to her all night (and have).

I've always been a fan of Lady Day, but... I guess the longevity of Ella and the huge body of work of all kinds of music impresses me a bit more.

Then you could bring up Bessie Smith from yet an earlier era and try to figure how anybody could even try to come close.

The 30s through the 50s were interesting times for music and we reap the rewards.

m

I listen to them all and enjoy each for the richness they have given music over the years..Dinah Shore was great, Besse Smith was too...Ella, Aretha, Grace Slick, Lennox, Linda Ronstatd, Turnstall, Cline all color the palette...why limit ourselves by drawing lines around one or another and claiming turf?

I have never understood that approach to music....

Do you only listen to Bach or do you make room for Liszt and Schubert? Life is too short...

So your going to make fun of her for being fat?

Yeah that is a pretty low blow man, just because someone is fat doesnt mean they dont have talent or that they are a bad person. Pretty freakin shallow man, hopefully people do you the favor of being just as nice to point out your personal flaws.

Does this critic apply to Meatloaf too? She may have made a snafu on a song here or there, after nearly 50 years of doing shows on stage and TV there is a good chance that every artist will mess up, J-Lo?.... Not everyone can be as awesome as you...

Wasn't dissing her at all the OP and the first video is all about measuring her range and not knowing what to do with her range. So the comment about her range was anything but answering the question. There's a whole lot of people I would rather listen to though in fact she always seems screechy to me so if that's dissing her so be it. Now if I want female soul than I'll spin Etta James or Roberta Flack, Bettye LaVette or even Dusty Springfield.

And there's a whole crop of talented young women singing soul just look at Joss Stone, Dana Fuchs, and even Alecia Keyes can do the genre proud.

Archived