Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Hummingbird vs Hummingbird Pro

fermfs

Hey everyone,

I´ve been wanting to buy a Hummingbird for a long time. However, I found a Hummingbird Pro that is waaaaay Cheaper!!!!

I can´t seem to find any differences appart from the pickguard, the color finish and the shape which is more like a Songwriter.

But they are both Sitka spruce top, mahogany back and sides—all solid woods, hand made, etc...

They both come with LR baggs Element system.

How is this possible? Am I missing something out? How can these two guitars have a 1,000 USD difference???

Thanks to anyone that can help!!!

FMF

Hey everyone,

I´ve been wanting to buy a Hummingbird for a long time. However, I found a Hummingbird Pro that is waaaaay Cheaper!!!!

I can´t seem to find any differences appart from the pickguard, the color finish and the shape which is more like a Songwriter.

But they are both Sitka spruce top, mahogany back and sides—all solid woods, hand made, etc...

They both come with LR baggs Element system.

How is this possible? Am I missing something out? How can these two guitars have a 1,000 USD difference???

Thanks to anyone that can help!!!

FMF

These are two very different guitars. Don't let the names or the specs fool you. The Pro is a newer model they came out with in the '90s, I believe. I think they used the Hummingbird name on it just for marketing purposes, not because it has anything to do with an actual Hummingbird. The body shapes are not even the same. The bracing is not the same. If you played two of them side by side, you would see they are very different guitars. Both can be great, but they are NOT the same model, with just different cosmetics.

The pro is a result of a big dealer customer {Guitar Center aka Musicians Friend} of Gibson who had them to produce the pro hummingbird to the different spec's to make more money by selling a much cheaper Guitar with the hummingbird name!!! in result more profit for them, it is not a true hummingbird by no means!!! the other post is correct it is not the same Guitar as a TRUE Hummingbird, I own the real deal so i speak from that stand point.

• 2 months later...

There's nothing to be confused about. There are many Gibson models including the Hummingbird and Hummingbird Pro. They are distinct just as they are different from the Songwriter and the J-45. The Hummingbird Pro is an excellent guitar and phenomenal value. Even two different Hummingbirds are going to be different from each other. The Pro model is such a great deal because Guitar Center contracted the guitar and guaranteed a minimum purchase. That's not only great business (they do the same with Martin and I have the 000-MMV which is another superb value) but it also allows a super guitar to be purchased at a great price. Play many models and get the one that speaks to you the best. Happy hunting.

Personally I find it wrong to call the Pro a Hummingbird. Some kind of cheap move in my book. Confusing too.

However you shouldn't out-count the guitar. Go and test the 2 side by side, you might be surprised. And see if you can forget the mythical aura of the real Bird.

Easier said than done, , , I can't.

I agree. The HB Pro is a great guitar in its own right, but it is a mahogany Songwriter, and probably should reflect this somehow in the branding.

Personally I find it wrong to call the Pro a Hummingbird. Some kind of cheap move in my book. Confusing too.

However you shouldn't out-count the guitar. Go and test the 2 side by side, you might be surprised. And see if you can forget the mythical aura of the real Bird.

Easier said than done, , , I can't.

I think the Hummingbird Pro and the traditional "bird" are two different guitars. Calling the newer guitar a Hummingbird Pro might rattle the cage of some of us traditional "bird" owners...lol...but in all sincerity, it was a super marketing idea. I think it got a great deal of attention for a new line of guitars that other advertising could not have. Just seeing the name Hummingbird on a different looking Gibson made me pick it up and play it. To me, it needs all the bling to be a true "bird," but there's not a thing in the world wrong with this guitar. I love the sound of my traditional "bird" and the looks, but I know a sweet guitar when I see and hear one---and the Pro is a sweet guitar, with or without the Hummingbird label.

EuroAussie...funny you should refer to the HBird Pro as a mahogany Songwriter. Because at GC this past weekend, I found the two very similar as well. I thought the shape was similar but it might just be identical, right? Also, I thought they sounded very close in terms of volume and projection. I think the HBPro has a more narrow nut width though...but I could be wrong.

Another interesting point I have discovered is that although the HBird is very attractively and fairly priced, some of the dealers recommended on this forum can do better on actual Songwriters...

• 7 months later...

Old topic I know. I purchased a Gibson HummingBird Pro today and played it back and forth with my HummingBird. here are the differences. The Pro is referred to as "small square shoulder" the Bird is a large square shoulder. The Pro's scale is 25 1/2" the Bird is 24 3/4". I think the Pro has been discontinued mine is a 2011. For awhile you could get a Pro with a rosewood back and sides. My Pro is Mahogany. The Bird is mahagony too.

I have a pretty good ear and the Pro has a very good tone, it sounds like a "Gibson". I think the Bird is a little easier too play, and is more mellow sounding, the Pro has very good clarity, just a shade more Treble than the Bird. Amazingly enough both guitars played together sound very much a like. More sparkle on the Pro and a bit more low end on the Bird. The Pro really has "Martin" type volume and projection. I got lucky on my Bird it is a very loud guitar (I run the action just a wee bit high, not much) Usually Birds are not super loud. But both my Pro and Bird really project.

The Pro is an excellent guitar, sounds great and a good value and will last a lifetime or more if taken care of. I rate a Standard HummingBird (a good one) at a 9.5. I give the Pro a 9.

I had a chance to try the 2 side by side at GC. fwiw I found the Hummingbird more to my liking in terms of feel and sound. But, every guitar is different, and of course there is a price difference.

I prefer the Standard HummingBird also. But I have two Birds and many of my songs require two acoustic guitars. Rather than use both Birds, I find using the Pro and Bird a better sonic combination.

Archived