Gibson Brands Forums

My amp stand

ChanMan

• Replies 580
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What the eff is wrong with some of you people?

/chuckle

You DO know they have an ignore feature here, right?

Makes the place so much better! (raises the overall average IQ considerably, too :D)

It does look a bit like a folding chair He He [flapper][biggrin] Not condoning the rest of the statement made...

It hands down beats the hell out of this!

100_1597-1.jpg

Which is what is currently in my living room :)

My wife must love me a LOT to put up with that eyesore :)

It hands down beats the hell out of this!

100_1597-1.jpg

Which is what is currently in my living room :)

My wife must love me a LOT to put up with that eyesore :)

Then my girlfriend must be the saint of the world! Everything around me is an eye sore... :-k Hell.... I'm an eye sore!! [scared] I better quit bustin' yer balls and give her some well deserved attention. You know I luv ya Cman! It is a nice stand!!! I still use milk crates....

Then my girlfriend must be the saint of the world! Everything around me is an eye sore... :-k Hell.... I'm an eye sore!! [scared] I better quit bustin' yer balls and give her some well deserved attention. You know I luv ya Cman! It is a nice stand!!! I still use milk crates....

It's ok man... I actually thought it was a great stand until I saw pics of this side by side with the new one. Ouch!

LOL!

You're probably right. No one in their right mind would use wood to transmit sound waves in music!

So, um, stands are supposed to transmit sound waves ??? Or isolate sound ???

I find amateures confusing in their knowledge.....I know the answer, but, hey,

cool furniture is cool furniture.....Oak is nice wood...............

So, um, stands are supposed to transmit sound waves ??? Or isolate sound ???

I find amateures confusing in their knowledge.....I know the answer, but, hey,

cool furniture is cool furniture.....Oak is nice wood...............

Something I discovered decades ago... wood, in and of itself, makes an excellent amplifier. In fact.... I am pretty sure there was, at one time, a very popular "speakerless" sound system that used the wood it sat on to transmit the sound. Clever, huh? It could fill an entire room with wonderful music using no speakers at all!

Oak is nice. I don't think my stand is made of oak, though.

I'm thinking ash, but the grain matches my oak better than cherry or walnut.

Something I discovered decades ago... wood, in and of itself, makes an excellent amplifier. In fact.... I am pretty sure there was, at one time, a very popular "speakerless" sound system that used the wood it sat on to transmit the sound. Clever, huh? It could fill an entire room with wonderful music using no speakers at all!

Oak is nice. I don't think my stand is made of oak, though.

I'm thinking ash, but the grain matches my oak better than cherry or walnut.

[thumbup] ..I know....It does look nice.............congrats !!!!!! [thumbup] .....

Yes, just play yer favorite with the headstock against a door jamb. Try a few around the house, chances are you'll find one that amps up nice, fills the room with your blazing arpeggiated flurries of molten metal madness.

You also can find ones that add a sorta underwater quality to the sound. Truth. Try it, it was great fun at parties in the 70's between Skynyrd songs and bong hits.

And congratulations not only on scoring a nice amp stand for free, for also bearing the brunt of internet guitar player tomfoolery regarding said amp stand. You have performed admirably.

rct

I'm happy for the ChanMan.....It's a nice stand...well built...looks nice...[thumbup] ..This is ChanMan's thread;

We should be happy for him....He's a great dad, outstanding member, he can spell, works hard, is

a faithful husband, and plays guitar a bit............

I do have that stand parody thread...that's where the bull should go, not here....

nice i make a comment on that stand and i get called names like that.

Who called you names? I don't see any posts calling you names... You have an opinion... as far as I'm concerened it's perfectly valid!

Yes, just play yer favorite with the headstock against a door jamb. Try a few around the house, chances are you'll find one that amps up nice, fills the room with your blazing arpeggiated flurries of molten metal madness.

You also can find ones that add a sorta underwater quality to the sound. Truth. Try it, it was great fun at parties in the 70's between Skynyrd songs and bong hits.

And congratulations not only on scoring a nice amp stand for free, for also bearing the brunt of internet guitar player tomfoolery regarding said amp stand. You have performed admirably.

rct

/chuckle

This is EXACTLY how I discovered that!

My first guitar was an electric... and I had no amp, so I'd play against the door... or a wall.

And thanks man. I appreciate the props, but one should always be courteous, especially in the face of those who seem enevitably bound to behave otherwise.

It also helps to keep a healthy ignore list. Makes, Duane's job easier, too :D.

Well, it came today!

I gotta give y'all my first impressions:

1. Not NEARLY as heavy as I thought it would be. Good, solid construction, mind you, but not quite as heavy as my metal one. A definite plus!

2. It fitseither my Nemesis or my Blues Jr., both fairly different in size and shape. Also a plus!

3. I tend to stand in front of my amp and play when I'm at home. For this, it is spot on PERFECT. It is aimed right at my face. It's almost like I stood there and let them measure the correct angle. A HUGE plus!

4. It is low to the floor and kind of small, so it fits my space really well, and allows me to keep the bass amp handy, too. Also a plus!

Ok that's it. Pics and more later after I've had some time to play around with it.

So..initial impression is good.

I hope we get the full, honest scoop. Don't be pulling punches because you got it free! The real, full assesment is not only helpful to the public, but to the maker as well.

A few questions I have are: How does the room sound as a result of the amp on the stand? Besides having it at your face when you are next to it, does it improve things for the accoustics of the room or is it better with the amp on the floor or on the other stand? And, regardless of opinion of better or worse, what are the differences?

Are you going to play out with it?

Looks great, Chan, and sweet looking grain. [thumbup]

Josh is a great guy to deal with. I'm getting one, too. [biggrin]

3. I tend to stand in front of my amp and play when I'm at home. For this, it is spot on PERFECT. It is aimed right at my face.

Nothin's better than face melting tone. [biggrin]

So..initial impression is good.

I hope we get the full, honest scoop. Don't be pulling punches because you got it free! The real, full assesment is not only helpful to the public, but to the maker as well.

A few questions I have are: How does the room sound as a result of the amp on the stand? Besides having it at your face when you are next to it, does it improve things for the accoustics of the room or is it better with the amp on the floor or on the other stand? And, regardless of opinion of better or worse, what are the differences?

Are you going to play out with it?

I'll give an honest review, but don't expect me to be negative just to appease the haters. If I think it's awesome, I'm going to say it's awesome.

Having said that, I noticed the bottom board on the rack section doesn't appear to be planed evenly across the top. The ends of the shoulder strap could have been cut more professionally, but then I work leather, so that's something I would notice. It IS a prototype... so I'm expecting some one-off detail issues. Nothing I've seen so far would prevent me from purchasing an amp stand from Atlas.

Jury is still out on the room. I need to play a bit more and hear it from different angles. It is certainly better than on the floor, as I have a soft A frame stand that does that. I'm interested to see how it sounds out in the room, too, and will loop some riffs on my DD-7 and listen to it.

The differences between the new stand and the old stand are pretty obvious from an "immediately right in front of it" perspective.... listen to any sound source from directly in front of it or off to one side (or above or below, for that matter). The old stand pointed the amp at my chest. The old A Frame stand at my nuts.

Am I going to play out again at all would be a far better question. I'll say this for right now... my initial thoughts were that it would be too heavy to lug around, and so it would likely just stay in the living room. It is not, and could easily be ported around and set up on stage. It is also far easier to break down and secure than the metal stand.

Anyone else have questions? I'd be happy to answer if you're curious about any aspect of the stand.

Looks great, Chan, and sweet looking grain. [thumbup]

Josh is a great guy to deal with. I'm getting one, too. [biggrin]

Nothin's better than face melting tone. [biggrin]

That's awesome! And yes, Josh is an outstanding guy to work with!

If you have any questions, or need measurements or anything, let me know :)

I wouldn't expect you to appease the haters, Chan. That would not be an accurate assessment. I also get that you can't assess everything about it, but only for your uses. But..you are the man. You gots the goods we all want to hear about, and I'm glad its you as opposed to a less honest guy.

As for the craftmanship, I am not surprised about the planing issue. One of the reasons for the high cost is the amount of labor involved. Being a GC employee and sometimes woodworker, I think it should not take as long as he quoted on the other thread to make them. An experienced woodworker would make them with far less labor. What that really means is that the price will go down considerably if he continues. And as far as the quality overall, they are better built and better looking than they need to be from what I can see.

As for the position, I see 2 things: first, I don't think amp were meant to be heard straight on, I think they are designed to be heard from a distance. But: there could be enjoyment out of blasting yourself in the face with your favorite amp. That would be something to report on.

Also, regarding the room: speakers perform very differently depending on the placement within a room. For example, a typical stereo speaker or monitor will actually sound very different up against a back wall or out in the room. It doesn't have to do with the sound bouncing off the wall, but rather the sound pressure of being close to a surface. Bass frequencies compress, and that changes the balance of the whole sound. A simple combo amp on the floor will sound different up against a wall than it does about 4 feet from it. Tilting it up may have an effect of alleviating that or making it worse. It may allow for a better sound up against a wall, or allow for a sound similer to up against a wall out on the room. We don't always place musical equipment for fidelity, but pleasant sound.

I wouldn't expect you to appease the haters, Chan. That would not be an accurate assessment. I also get that you can't assess everything about it, but only for your uses. But..you are the man. You gots the goods we all want to hear about, and I'm glad its you as opposed to a less honest guy.

As for the craftmanship, I am not surprised about the planing issue. One of the reasons for the high cost is the amount of labor involved. Being a GC employee and sometimes woodworker, I think it should not take as long as he quoted on the other thread to make them. An experienced woodworker would make them with far less labor. What that really means is that the price will go down considerably if he continues. And as far as the quality overall, they are better built and better looking than they need to be from what I can see.

As for the position, I see 2 things: first, I don't think amp were meant to be heard straight on, I think they are designed to be heard from a distance. But: there could be enjoyment out of blasting yourself in the face with your favorite amp. That would be something to report on.

Also, regarding the room: speakers perform very differently depending on the placement within a room. For example, a typical stereo speaker or monitor will actually sound very different up against a back wall or out in the room. It doesn't have to do with the sound bouncing off the wall, but rather the sound pressure of being close to a surface. Bass frequencies compress, and that changes the balance of the whole sound. A simple combo amp on the floor will sound different up against a wall than it does about 4 feet from it. Tilting it up may have an effect of alleviating that or making it worse. It may allow for a better sound up against a wall, or allow for a sound similer to up against a wall out on the room. We don't always place musical equipment for fidelity, but pleasant sound.

Excellent points, one and all. I'll try placing it in various places.... out from the wall, corners, etc. I understand the dynamics of being off center from the speaker's cone of sound, and will do what i can to let y'all know the differences. It is fairly low to the ground in comparison to my old stand... and that will likely have an effect, too.

More tomorrow...

Archived