Gibson Guitar Board: 50th Anniversary SG 12-String - Gibson Guitar Board

Jump to content

  • (3 Pages)
  • +
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

50th Anniversary SG 12-String

#1 User is offline   Victory Pete 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 103
  • Joined: 23-May 11

Posted 23 May 2011 - 11:19 AM

Hi
http://www2.gibson.c...-12-String.aspx
I have the SG-12 on back order, I have been waiting for this to be produced for years. I hope it will be worth the wait. The shipping date is said to be June 1st, I wonder how accurate this is.
VP

#2 User is offline   sellen 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1336
  • Joined: 03-November 09

Posted 24 May 2011 - 01:59 AM

That's a monster sg man, kinda freaks me out a bit with all those strings how will it intonate. 6 saddles two strings on each, hope it turns out good. Please post picks when you get here, or even better a sound demo B) Posted Image
SG Nerd.

#3 User is offline   Victory Pete 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 103
  • Joined: 23-May 11

Posted 24 May 2011 - 03:30 AM

View Postsellen, on 24 May 2011 - 01:59 AM, said:

That's a monster sg man, kinda freaks me out a bit with all those strings how will it intonate. 6 saddles two strings on each, hope it turns out good. Please post picks when you get here, or even better a sound demo B) Posted Image


I had an EDS 1275 with the 6 saddle bridge. It should really have 12 seperate saddles. I make the G strings both unisons, also I make all the octave strings on the bass side all plain steel. I also will change thier sizes until the intonation most closely matches the primary strings.

#4 User is offline   Lungimsam 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1014
  • Joined: 23-October 10

Posted 24 May 2011 - 03:20 PM

Its not a reissue from the looks of it, right? Just a 50th anniv. edition?

Looks nice. I am sure it will sound great. Very cool.

#5 User is offline   Victory Pete 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 103
  • Joined: 23-May 11

Posted 24 May 2011 - 03:50 PM

View PostLungimsam, on 24 May 2011 - 03:20 PM, said:

Its not a reissue from the looks of it, right? Just a 50th anniv. edition?

Looks nice. I am sure it will sound great. Very cool.


Right, these were never made before.
VP

#6 User is offline   sellen 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1336
  • Joined: 03-November 09

Posted 24 May 2011 - 05:02 PM

they have been made before , have seen a guy on the forum with a similar Gibson sg 12 string. I don't mean the dobble neck
SG Nerd.

#7 User is offline   Andre S 

  • Bonamassa Addict
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 3794
  • Joined: 31-March 09
  • LocationCaribbean

Posted 24 May 2011 - 05:09 PM

View Postsellen, on 24 May 2011 - 05:02 PM, said:

they have been made before , have seen a guy on the forum with a similar Gibson sg 12 string. I don't mean the dobble neck


You mean NeoConMan? His was a one off sort of deal...never a production run.
****************************************************************************

"The day when you pick up a guitar and there's nothing coming through whatsoever, there's no new pieces, there's no new ideas - and that's the sort of gift any creative person has - there's always that point that that might happen to you, when you're too old to pick the guitar up - and we're just trying to keep that day far, far away and out of sight."

- James Patrick Page

- 2008 Gibson Les Paul Studio
- 2009 Martin OM-1
- 2011 'Skylark' Les Paul Replica
-------------------------
- Jet City 20H
- Phaez Sibly
- Fender Champion 600
- Fender Super Champ XD

#8 User is offline   Victory Pete 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 103
  • Joined: 23-May 11

Posted 24 May 2011 - 05:38 PM

I asked Gibson Custom Shop about making one of these about 3 years ago, $5000 was the quote. So I bought a Rickenbacker 360-12 and put that on e-bay the day I got the e-mail from Gibson announcing the SG-12. Boy am I glad I never shelled out 5 grand 3 years ago!
VP

#9 User is offline   HarpBoy 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 232
  • Joined: 03-January 09

Posted 25 May 2011 - 05:41 AM

Betcha that beauty is going to be neck heavy! SGs have always had that rep anyway, so adding another half pound of tuners will be interesting. Pretty though.

Cheers
Nick Valensi Riviera P94 - Antique Natural
Gibson SG 60's Special Tribute - Worn Cherry
American Standard Stratocaster - Sunburst
Epiphone Masterbilt DR-500M
Art&Lutherie Ami Cedar
1956 Magnatone Varsity Deluxe Model 108
Traynor YGM-3 RI

Many, many harmonicas

#10 User is offline   sellen 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1336
  • Joined: 03-November 09

Posted 25 May 2011 - 08:39 AM

View PostAndre S, on 24 May 2011 - 05:09 PM, said:

You mean NeoConMan? His was a one off sort of deal...never a production run.

That was the guy.
SG Nerd.

#11 User is offline   Victory Pete 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 103
  • Joined: 23-May 11

Posted 25 May 2011 - 08:42 AM

View PostHarpBoy, on 25 May 2011 - 05:41 AM, said:

Betcha that beauty is going to be neck heavy! SGs have always had that rep anyway, so adding another half pound of tuners will be interesting. Pretty though.

Cheers


I had an EDS 1275 that would stage dive whenever you would try to switch necks. I made a special strap to hold it up. I dont have the EDS 1275 or the strap anymore, darn!
VP

#12 User is offline   Victory Pete 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 103
  • Joined: 23-May 11

Posted 25 May 2011 - 08:48 AM

I am wondering about the neck on the SG-12, it is an "SG Rounded Profile" I have 2 LP's an SG-61 and an ES-335. They all have 60's Slim Taper profile. I had an SG Standard years ago with the "SG Rounded" neck, I remember thinking it wasnt as sweet as the Slim Taper. The EDS 1275 I had also had a Slim Taper although it was a stubby neck, you only had free access to the 15 fret. I guess the full access to the whole fretboard on the SG-12 requires a beefier neck.
VP

#13 User is offline   theForgottenCereal 

  • Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 24
  • Joined: 01-April 11

Posted 25 May 2011 - 12:48 PM

View Postsellen, on 24 May 2011 - 01:59 AM, said:

That's a monster sg man, kinda freaks me out a bit with all those strings how will it intonate. 6 saddles two strings on each, hope it turns out good. Please post picks when you get here, or even better a sound demo B) Posted Image


I'm with you. Change this thing to individual bridge saddles and bone nut, and I'm on board. Also would like to see ebony, white, and/or faded brown finishes, but i guess it's such a niche instrument to begin with that they don't want to mess around with anything other than the iconic cherry.

Also, does anyone know if it's angled or straight neck?
(Look at me acting like I'll ever afford one. [razz])

#14 User is offline   Victory Pete 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 103
  • Joined: 23-May 11

Posted 25 May 2011 - 03:46 PM

View PosttheForgottenCereal, on 25 May 2011 - 12:48 PM, said:

I'm with you. Change this thing to individual bridge saddles and bone nut, and I'm on board. Also would like to see ebony, white, and/or faded brown finishes, but i guess it's such a niche instrument to begin with that they don't want to mess around with anything other than the iconic cherry.

Also, does anyone know if it's angled or straight neck?
(Look at me acting like I'll ever afford one. [razz])


Someone mentioned AllParts may have a 12 saddle bridge, http://www.allparts....gb-2580-010.htm It may be the same for the EDS-1275. I like Bone nuts, but I never was motivated to change all my Corian nuts, if it aint broke, dont fix it! The neck is at a 5 degree angle to the body.
VP

#15 User is offline   IceTr3 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 43
  • Joined: 27-December 10

Posted 06 June 2011 - 11:37 AM

OMG!! Screw all the other guitars I was gonna get!! I getting this baby!! Is this a limited run or can I buy it in a year?

#16 User is offline   Victory Pete 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 103
  • Joined: 23-May 11

Posted 06 June 2011 - 12:07 PM

View PostIceTr3, on 06 June 2011 - 11:37 AM, said:

OMG!! Screw all the other guitars I was gonna get!! I getting this baby!! Is this a limited run or can I buy it in a year?


I just sold my Rick 360/12 to get this, I actually had some money left over! It is a limited run. I would order one now. I got mine through Musicians friend. They only charge you when it ships. Good luck!
VP

#17 User is offline   Riffster 

  • Since 1969
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 7640
  • Joined: 27-December 07
  • LocationNashville, TN

Posted 07 June 2011 - 07:03 PM

View PostVictory Pete, on 25 May 2011 - 08:48 AM, said:

I am wondering about the neck on the SG-12, it is an "SG Rounded Profile" I have 2 LP's an SG-61 and an ES-335. They all have 60's Slim Taper profile. I had an SG Standard years ago with the "SG Rounded" neck, I remember thinking it wasnt as sweet as the Slim Taper. The EDS 1275 I had also had a Slim Taper although it was a stubby neck, you only had free access to the 15 fret. I guess the full access to the whole fretboard on the SG-12 requires a beefier neck.
VP


Being a 12 the neck will be wider but I doubt they will stick to the round profile of a standard SG, that'd be overkill.

Who knows with the neck being selected hard maple they may not have to make the neck too thick.

P.S. I just saw the retail price on this beauty and I am pleasantly surprised.
Struck by the arrow of weakness on the guilded path to forgiveness

#18 User is offline   Victory Pete 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 103
  • Joined: 23-May 11

Posted 08 June 2011 - 04:06 AM

View PostStiffHand, on 07 June 2011 - 07:03 PM, said:

Being a 12 the neck will be wider but I doubt they will stick to the round profile of a standard SG, that'd be overkill.

Who knows with the neck being selected hard maple they may not have to make the neck too thick.

P.S. I just saw the retail price on this beauty and I am pleasantly surprised.


The width is the same as a standard SG. I hope the neck isnt too thick. I was impressed with the price also. Guitars should be under $2000.
VP

#19 User is offline   Riffster 

  • Since 1969
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 7640
  • Joined: 27-December 07
  • LocationNashville, TN

Posted 08 June 2011 - 06:50 PM

Oh duh, yea it is the same nut width in this case, I have a 12-string acoustic and assumed the nut would be wider on the SG.

I have an SG 50th 24 on the way and the guy at Sweetwater.com was kind enough to test drive a couple to make sure the neck wasn't too thick.
Struck by the arrow of weakness on the guilded path to forgiveness

#20 User is offline   Victory Pete 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 103
  • Joined: 23-May 11

Posted 09 June 2011 - 03:32 AM

View PostStiffHand, on 08 June 2011 - 06:50 PM, said:

Oh duh, yea it is the same nut width in this case, I have a 12-string acoustic and assumed the nut would be wider on the SG.

I have an SG 50th 24 on the way and the guy at Sweetwater.com was kind enough to test drive a couple to make sure the neck wasn't too thick.


I just sold a Rick 360/12. Its neck was even narrower than a standard Gibson neck. I didnt understand why they would do that. The strings were a bit crowded.
VP

Share this topic:


  • (3 Pages)
  • +
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users