Gibson Brands Forums

50th Anniversary SG 12-String

Victory Pete

That's a monster sg man, kinda freaks me out a bit with all those strings how will it intonate. 6 saddles two strings on each, hope it turns out good. Please post picks when you get here, or even better a sound demo B) Splash-02.jpg

That's a monster sg man, kinda freaks me out a bit with all those strings how will it intonate. 6 saddles two strings on each, hope it turns out good. Please post picks when you get here, or even better a sound demo B) Splash-02.jpg

I had an EDS 1275 with the 6 saddle bridge. It should really have 12 seperate saddles. I make the G strings both unisons, also I make all the octave strings on the bass side all plain steel. I also will change thier sizes until the intonation most closely matches the primary strings.

they have been made before , have seen a guy on the forum with a similar Gibson sg 12 string. I don't mean the dobble neck

You mean NeoConMan? His was a one off sort of deal...never a production run.

I asked Gibson Custom Shop about making one of these about 3 years ago, $5000 was the quote. So I bought a Rickenbacker 360-12 and put that on e-bay the day I got the e-mail from Gibson announcing the SG-12. Boy am I glad I never shelled out 5 grand 3 years ago!

VP

Betcha that beauty is going to be neck heavy! SGs have always had that rep anyway, so adding another half pound of tuners will be interesting. Pretty though.

Cheers

I had an EDS 1275 that would stage dive whenever you would try to switch necks. I made a special strap to hold it up. I dont have the EDS 1275 or the strap anymore, darn!

VP

I am wondering about the neck on the SG-12, it is an "SG Rounded Profile" I have 2 LP's an SG-61 and an ES-335. They all have 60's Slim Taper profile. I had an SG Standard years ago with the "SG Rounded" neck, I remember thinking it wasnt as sweet as the Slim Taper. The EDS 1275 I had also had a Slim Taper although it was a stubby neck, you only had free access to the 15 fret. I guess the full access to the whole fretboard on the SG-12 requires a beefier neck.

VP

I'm with you. Change this thing to individual bridge saddles and bone nut, and I'm on board. Also would like to see ebony, white, and/or faded brown finishes, but i guess it's such a niche instrument to begin with that they don't want to mess around with anything other than the iconic cherry.

Also, does anyone know if it's angled or straight neck?

(Look at me acting like I'll ever afford one. [razz])

I'm with you. Change this thing to individual bridge saddles and bone nut, and I'm on board. Also would like to see ebony, white, and/or faded brown finishes, but i guess it's such a niche instrument to begin with that they don't want to mess around with anything other than the iconic cherry.

Also, does anyone know if it's angled or straight neck?

(Look at me acting like I'll ever afford one. [razz])

Someone mentioned AllParts may have a 12 saddle bridge, http://www.allparts.com/ABM-2412-C-12-String-Tunematic-p/gb-2580-010.htm It may be the same for the EDS-1275. I like Bone nuts, but I never was motivated to change all my Corian nuts, if it aint broke, dont fix it! The neck is at a 5 degree angle to the body.

VP

• 2 weeks later...

OMG!! Screw all the other guitars I was gonna get!! I getting this baby!! Is this a limited run or can I buy it in a year?

I just sold my Rick 360/12 to get this, I actually had some money left over! It is a limited run. I would order one now. I got mine through Musicians friend. They only charge you when it ships. Good luck!

VP

I am wondering about the neck on the SG-12, it is an "SG Rounded Profile" I have 2 LP's an SG-61 and an ES-335. They all have 60's Slim Taper profile. I had an SG Standard years ago with the "SG Rounded" neck, I remember thinking it wasnt as sweet as the Slim Taper. The EDS 1275 I had also had a Slim Taper although it was a stubby neck, you only had free access to the 15 fret. I guess the full access to the whole fretboard on the SG-12 requires a beefier neck.

VP

Being a 12 the neck will be wider but I doubt they will stick to the round profile of a standard SG, that'd be overkill.

Who knows with the neck being selected hard maple they may not have to make the neck too thick.

P.S. I just saw the retail price on this beauty and I am pleasantly surprised.

Being a 12 the neck will be wider but I doubt they will stick to the round profile of a standard SG, that'd be overkill.

Who knows with the neck being selected hard maple they may not have to make the neck too thick.

P.S. I just saw the retail price on this beauty and I am pleasantly surprised.

The width is the same as a standard SG. I hope the neck isnt too thick. I was impressed with the price also. Guitars should be under $2000.

VP

Oh duh, yea it is the same nut width in this case, I have a 12-string acoustic and assumed the nut would be wider on the SG.

I have an SG 50th 24 on the way and the guy at Sweetwater.com was kind enough to test drive a couple to make sure the neck wasn't too thick.

Oh duh, yea it is the same nut width in this case, I have a 12-string acoustic and assumed the nut would be wider on the SG.

I have an SG 50th 24 on the way and the guy at Sweetwater.com was kind enough to test drive a couple to make sure the neck wasn't too thick.

I just sold a Rick 360/12. Its neck was even narrower than a standard Gibson neck. I didnt understand why they would do that. The strings were a bit crowded.

VP

I just sold my Rick 360/12 to get this, I actually had some money left over! It is a limited run. I would order one now. I got mine through Musicians friend. They only charge you when it ships. Good luck!

VP

Ahh damn! Won't be able to get it then.

Ahh damn! Won't be able to get it then.

I was lucky I had a 1 year old Rick 360/12 that I never used, the day I got the e-mail from Gibson, I put it on e-bay, a week later I had all the money for the SG-12 and then some. Try to get a Musicans Friend credit card. My friend has one and says it is great, they have no interest for a yesr.

VP

I was lucky I had a 1 year old Rick 360/12 that I never used, the day I got the e-mail from Gibson, I put it on e-bay, a week later I had all the money for the SG-12 and then some. Try to get a Musicans Friend credit card. My friend has one and says it is great, they have no interest for a yesr.

VP

a couple warnings about the MF credit card - it's administered by HSBC - one of the worst banks for customer service and running up charges. They will hit you with credit insurance that you have to phone in and cancel - other than that the interest free thing is a good deal as long as you pay on time.

VP

That's hard one. It may be possible I won't get a summer job (only 16) and won't be able to pay.

• 1 month later...

Has anybody seen or heard a demo of this beast? I've ordered one from a local dealer, on the understanding that if I don't like it, I get $$ back, but would like to hear some demo tracks. Anybody have a link or two to share?

Cheers

Archived