Gibson Brands Forums

Bad Scene for the Kramer Brand

cullenszoo

Being a longtime fan of Kramer guitars and only a recent owner, I have been looking at the history and current market. I can't help but wonder if the brand will ever rise to the popularity and prestige it once knew. I recently took a shopping trip around Knoxville,TN. While it may not be a Mecca for Rock or Metal, it does have several guitar shops. I proceeded to my local Guitar Center thinking they should have at least a couple in stock since they are advertised on their web site. There were none in the store. New, used or otherwise. Disappointed I visited a vintage guitar shop in town. Not only was there not a Kramer to be seen, it was a shop of overpriced, beatup guitars. I experienced the same thing every where I went. No Kramers in site. So, I turned to the internet. Our local Craigslist had listed a couple of Kramers in recent months. a nice Striker 100st sold for $100. and a vintage Focus 6000 sold for $150. So, I searched on ebay. The way to truely tell what something is worth is to find out what people are willing to pay. There were alot of vintage models but most were'nt being bid on. There were a couple of rare examples, but for the most part the demand just dosn't seem to be there. Are we just a bunch of 80's rock rejects lost in the past? If my Gibson/Music Yo era 422 is any example of the future than, in my opinion, the quality is there. It out plays ANY guitar I've ever touched. If the quality is there than the rest should fall in line. As for the new line, I don't know. There aren't any to be played in my area. If you can't pick one up at the local music store and experience it you can't sell it. If a popular guitarist isn't shredding away on one in a music video there won't be a demand for it. If there isn't an ad for it in this months Guitar mags than I can't help but question if Gibson's heart is really in the brand. Not to sound crass, but Fender is pimping Jackson everywhere I turn. Is the market any better in more HIP areas? Is Gibson approaching the future Eddie VanHalens? Or are we all sitting on some of the greatest guitars the world will forget?

Guest BlackSheep13

Being a longtime fan of Kramer guitars and only a recent owner, I have been looking at the history and current market. I can't help but wonder if the brand will ever rise to the popularity and prestige it once knew. I recently took a shopping trip around Knoxville,TN. While it may not be a Mecca for Rock or Metal, it does have several guitar shops. I proceeded to my local Guitar Center thinking they should have at least a couple in stock since they are advertised on their web site. There were none in the store. New, used or otherwise. Disappointed I visited a vintage guitar shop in town. Not only was there not a Kramer to be seen, it was a shop of overpriced, beatup guitars. I experienced the same thing every where I went. No Kramers in site. So, I turned to the internet. Our local Craigslist had listed a couple of Kramers in recent months. a nice Striker 100st sold for $100. and a vintage Focus 6000 sold for $150. So, I searched on ebay. The way to truely tell what something is worth is to find out what people are willing to pay. There were alot of vintage models but most were'nt being bid on. There were a couple of rare examples, but for the most part the demand just dosn't seem to be there. Are we just a bunch of 80's rock rejects lost in the past? If my Gibson/Music Yo era 422 is any example of the future than, in my opinion, the quality is there. It out plays ANY guitar I've ever touched. If the quality is there than the rest should fall in line. As for the new line, I don't know. There aren't any to be played in my area. If you can't pick one up at the local music store and experience it you can't sell it. If a popular guitarist isn't shredding away on one in a music video there won't be a demand for it. If there isn't an ad for it in this months Guitar mags than I can't help but question if Gibson's heart is really in the brand. Not to sound crass, but Fender is pimping Jackson everywhere I turn. Is the market any better in more HIP areas? Is Gibson approaching the future Eddie VanHalens? Or are we all sitting on some of the greatest guitars the world will forget?

Kramer isn't available in Guitar Center or advertised on their site unless it's used gear. Kramer has been growing the past 2 years, but the U.S. market and stores are slow to come on board currently....this will change soon. The artist list on the page is growing weekly and worldwide the brand is doing very well.

It's good to know the International market is doing well. Is there a marketing plan for the US or is it a wait and see what happens approach?

Kramer isn't available in Guitar Center or advertised on their site unless it's used gear. Kramer has been growing the past 2 years, but the U.S. market and stores are slow to come on board currently....this will change soon. The artist list on the page is growing weekly and worldwide the brand is doing very well.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Being a longtime fan of Kramer guitars and only a recent owner, I have been looking at the history and current market... If my Gibson/Music Yo era 422 is any example of the future than, in my opinion, the quality is there. It out plays ANY guitar I've ever touched. If the quality is there than the rest should fall in line. As for the new line, I don't know. There aren't any to be played in my area... Or are we all sitting on some of the greatest guitars the world will forget?

Few owners of Gibson/Kramer FR422's are dumb enough to sell them. The FR422 is one of the best Kramers ever made. Unfortunately, the original Kramer Company ruined the Kramer reputation by selling a bunch of crappy plywood guitars before they went bankrupt. The last great guitar made by Kramer was the American Showster, less than 1000 were made and yet Kramer couldn't sell them because they had ruined the Kramer brands reputation. Kramer went bankrupt. Gibson bought them and made some great guitars, but I guess the bad rep was just too much to overcome. The other problem with all FR guitars is that few guitarists can set up a Floyd Rose properly and techs don't like to work on them because it takes too much time to set a FR up and there time is money. So techs bad mouth FRs. As you know once you get a Gibson/Kramer FR set up, it stays in tune forever with a little fine tuning now and then.

Just hold on to your 422. You got a Gem!

Here are a couple more Kramer websites worth knowing about:

http://www.kramerfor...forum/forum.php

http://vintagekramer.com/

The forum is well-attended with quite a few knowledgeable folks there, and the VK site is quite detailed and in-depth. I've made quite a bit of use of both resources.

I own a Focus 1000 that dates to late 1986 or early 1987 as near as I can tell. It's actually a nice playing instrument, although the way it comes from the factory, it's pretty limited as far as the sounds you can get out of it. But hey, it was an Eddie Van Halen Special back in the day, and in that respect, it did what it was supposed to.

In 1985 & 1986, Kramer was the best selling Guitar Brand in the World. Thank U God! I bought my Gibson 335 in 1985 for $400 from a guy who sold it to buy a Kramer. I doubt that Kramer will ever outsell Gibson or Fender again, not because they aren't great guitars, but because most kids can't deal with a Floyd Rose.

• 1 month later...

"In 1985 & 1986, Kramer was the best selling Guitar Brand in the World. Thank U God! I bought my Gibson 335 in 1985 for $400 from a guy who sold it to buy a Kramer. I doubt that Kramer will ever outsell Gibson or Fender again, not because they aren't great guitars, but because most kids can't deal with a Floyd Rose."

You got very lucky on that 335, hats off to you on that one, however, I agree kids don't want to spend the time learning guitar, or Floyd Rose for that matter, they are just looking for instant gratification. Kramer will rise again.

• 2 months later...

"In 1985 & 1986, Kramer was the best selling Guitar Brand in the World. Thank U God! I bought my Gibson 335 in 1985 for $400 from a guy who sold it to buy a Kramer. I doubt that Kramer will ever outsell Gibson or Fender again, not because they aren't great guitars, but because most kids can't deal with a Floyd Rose."

You got very lucky on that 335, hats off to you on that one, however, I agree kids don't want to spend the time learning guitar, or Floyd Rose for that matter, they are just looking for instant gratification. Kramer will rise again.

I've played some of the Gibson-era Kramers. The higher-end axes are good. The 84 and the Pacer Vintage are on par with the 80's Barettas and Pacers. I've owned a couple of the MusicYo Kramers, and they were a good value, on par with comparable-priced Jacksons and Ibanez. Good guitars for a beginner or mid-level players.

The music scene today is completely different than the 80s. Not a lot of guitarists rock Floyds. The guys who do tend to be in the heavier bands and they tend to favor the Schecters and ESP/LTDs, as well as Ibanez. Both Kramer and Charvel/Jackson are more old-school guitars favored by older players. Nothing wrong with that, there's definitely a market there but I think it's impractical to think that that Kramer is ever going to be anything more than a niche brand again.

• 10 months later...

Hi,

I'm a newbie but I remember Kraners of old, which is why I am here. I am looking at a new Kramer-Gibson K400 it looks nice in the pics but I live in the Philippines and to buy a new guitar here...at best is a crapshoot! Does anyone know anything about these animals? Are these OM's or Folk guitar size? And do you thik they are worth looking into?

Any help you can give will be apprewciated. I attached the body and headstock pics in a word format. It is secure. that is why I did it that way this time. Thanks. I will post a pic of my guitars shortly. Have a great day!

ScottKramer K400.doc

• 2 months later...

Few owners of Gibson/Kramer FR422's are dumb enough to sell them. The FR422 is one of the best Kramers ever made. Unfortunately, the original Kramer Company ruined the Kramer reputation by selling a bunch of crappy plywood guitars before they went bankrupt. The last great guitar made by Kramer was the American Showster, less than 1000 were made and yet Kramer couldn't sell them because they had ruined the Kramer brands reputation. Kramer went bankrupt. Gibson bought them and made some great guitars, but I guess the bad rep was just too much to overcome. The other problem with all FR guitars is that few guitarists can set up a Floyd Rose properly and techs don't like to work on them because it takes too much time to set a FR up and there time is money. So techs bad mouth FRs. As you know once you get a Gibson/Kramer FR set up, it stays in tune forever with a little fine tuning now and then.

Just hold on to your 422. You got a Gem!

I bought one of those "plywood" guitars back in about 1984. Its a Striker 200st. I still have it and suprisingly, its a pretty nice playing guitar. It was my first real guitar and of course it was gonna make me the next Eddie Van Halen! LOL. It will be sad to see the Kramer brand go away if thats what happens. I have not played one, but the Assult looks like a pretty cool guitar. I keep watching them on Ebay but have not pulled the trigger because I have never held one. No one around here in Maryland has them. Maybe someday.......

Archived