Gibson Brands Forums

50s or 60s tribute LP

Silenus

Hi,

I have the possibility to finally buy a Les Paul 50s or 60s Tribute but can't play 'm

and need to decide wich one.

Both are Ebony so no color issue 'cause I'm gonna go for a kinda Neil Young's Old Black kinda thing

Can you guys (or girls) give me some advice.

Here's how it is:

The 50s is secondhanded and needs to be send to me (only 50$ cheaper then the 60's).

Pro is it has Orange drops and it's more rare (?) but haven't played a 50's neck yet (don 't have small hands so shouldn't be a prob)

The 60s is new and on order and will be send too.

Pro is it has a slim 60s neck (I know that one and it's fine for me).

The lack of Orange drops ain't that bad 'cause I can solder some in.

Is it so that the 50's have a more lighly colored neck? (I rather like 'm darker)

Thanks for any advice

Greets

Hi,

I have the possibility to finally buy a Les Paul 50s or 60s Tribute but can't play 'm

and need to decide wich one.

Both are Ebony so no color issue 'cause I'm gonna go for a kinda Neil Young's Old Black kinda thing

Can you guys (or girls) give me some advice.

Here's how it is:

The 50s is secondhanded and needs to be send to me (only 50$ cheaper then the 60's).

Pro is it has Orange drops and it's more rare (?) but haven't played a 50's neck yet (don 't have small hands so shouldn't be a prob)

The 60s is new and on order and will be send too.

Pro is it has a slim 60s neck (I know that one and it's fine for me).

The lack of Orange drops ain't that bad 'cause I can solder some in.

Is it so that the 50's have a more lighly colored neck? (I rather like 'm darker)

Thanks for any advice

Greets

I haven't played a 50's, but I recently purchased a 60's and I love it. I can't comment on the difference between the orange caps in the 50's and the blue caps in the 60's but I can definately say that the blue caps sound great allowing that nice P-90 bite and growl under overdrive.

I also scored a 60's ebony for my friend and that was beautiful.

Good luck with your decision, sounds like you won't have a problem with either neck profile.

Cheers.

So soundwise they're about the same.

It's just the neck issue?

because I have smaller hands I am happy with the 60's Tribute..both are great guitars though.

I am having a dilema with my next purchase being between a trad and trad pro purely just for neck profile.

Not having played a '60s I'm afraid I can't do a compare and contrast. But I do have a couple of '50s Tribs (one Ebony and one Gold Top) and love them both. Both sound great and play well. I do have large hands, so I actually prefer the '50s neck profile, which is very comfortable for me.

Got a pair of (50's & 60's) Tribute "Twins!"

The necks really aren't That different, IMHO.

The '50's is a bit "fatter," but not a lot...

at least on mine. Tonally, the '50's has a bit

more mid-range bite, but the '60's sounds great,

also...just a bit "rounder," in tone. Certainly

not different enough, that some slight amp EQ won't

handle. Love 'em both!

DSC_0049.jpg

CB

Thanks for all the advices.

Gonna check if the guy of the secondhanded one can drop the price a bit

and gonna check the store if they still deliver the 60s one.

Be back on it if a choice is made (Ma, do I dislike these guitar related choices)

P.S.: out of the neck issue:

Wich of the 2 has tonewise the most growl (dirty sound)?

Maybe that'll pull te trigger

Thanks for all the advices.

Gonna check if the guy of the secondhanded one can drop the price a bit

and gonna check the store if they still deliver the 60s one.

Be back on it if a choice is made (Ma, do I dislike these guitar related choices)

P.S.: out of the neck issue:

Wich of the 2 has tonewise the most growl (dirty sound)?

Maybe that'll pull te trigger

Humbley suggest you play each. Choose the one that feels and sounds the best to you, though you may not find both qualities to your liking in the same guitar.

I haven't played a 50's, but I recently purchased a 60's and I love it. I can't comment on the difference between the orange caps in the 50's and the blue caps in the 60's but I can definately say that the blue caps sound great allowing that nice P-90 bite and growl under overdrive.

I also scored a 60's ebony for my friend and that was beautiful.

Good luck with your decision, sounds like you won't have a problem with either neck profile.

Cheers.

hi man i noticed that you have two sg and one les paul and wondered what do you like better? thanks!

hi man i noticed that you have two sg and one les paul and wondered what do you like better? thanks!

G'day Mate, Well as of last week I now have 2x SG's and 2x Les Pauls.

Well to answer your question accurately, I love all four of them. So yeah both models.

I find that I have moments where I will use my SG for a few gig's, then when I want a change I go to my Les paul and visa versa..

My normal gig rigg of guitars for any show I do anyway is an SG a Les Paul & a Stratocaster.

That is my favourite line up of axes that cover all of my material.

Cheers.

Archived