Gibson Brands Forums

My name is Mike, and I have a recording gear collecting problem.....

nolongermike@gibson

Oh, it goes much deeper than buying guitars.... sure, it starts with a guitar, but then, we know where it goes from there. Guitars are just a gateway to a much bigger and more expensive habit. I'm talking, the money pit known as the home recording studio. The place where the gear lust grows bigger each day with the release of the latest and greatest computers that hold more RAM, bigger drives, newer OS's, next gen cards to add to newfangled slots, the latest software release of your favorite DAW application, software instrument, plugin and more. Hard drives full of half finished and barely started song ideas, because the era of having to actually compose something, then rehearse it and, gasp, watch the clock in the studio you've hired have given way to creative gluttony resulting in my unfinished compositions than all of the great classical composers in history combined.

Oh, then there are the microphones....

&$%*%* the mike pusher-man.....

I'm ate up with it, I tell you. Studio monitors... not one set... oh no, I have to have at least two so I can here my mixes on different speakers, and a device to let me switch between the two, and headphones, and headphone amps, and microphone pre-amps, and it goes on and on and on and on........

More than 20 guitars? Yeah, that's just the tip of the iceberg, friend.

Computer Recording System Hardware

Apple Mac Pro 2.66GHz w/ 5GB of RAM (4 Internal 500GB drives

30" Apple Cinema Display

US-2400 DAW Controller with 25 10-bit Resolution 100mm Moving Faders

Digidesign 002R

LaCie 500 gig Firewire External Drive

Bravo CD/DVD Disc Duplicator/Color Disc Printer

Omnirax ProStation MC Studio Desk

15" Apple MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo with 4GB RAM, 200BG 7200 RPM hard drive and Superdrive

Digidesign Pro Tools M-Box2

Software

Pro Tools LE 7.4

Digidesign Music Production Toolkit

MOTU Digital Performer 5.5

MOTU MachFive Sampler Software

Reaper for OS X

Nuendo 4

Cubase 4

Reason 3.04 Software Syntheses

Sonic Reality's Sonic ReFills for Reason Vols. 01-15

TC Electronics PowerCore Firewire Plug-in Suite - 24/7_Compressor/Limiter, Chorus_Delay, ClassicVerb, EQSat, MasterX3 mastering processor, MegaReverb, PowerCore 01 mono-synth, Tubifex guitar amp simulator, Vintage CL, Vintage Compressor/Limiter, VoiceStrip voice processing channel, Assimilator EQ

IK Multimedia: Miroslav Philharmonik Orchestra, CSR Reverb Suite, T-Racks Mastering Software, AmpliTube LE

Live 5 Real-time Music Production Suite

Universal Audio UAD-1 PCIe card Plug-in Suite: 1176SE Limiting Amplifier- Optimized DSP Version of the Classic Compressor, 1176LN Limiting Amplifier- Definitive Vintage FET Compressor Emulation, LA-2A Leveling Amplifier Emulation- Optical Compressor, CS-1 Channel Strip, RealVerb, Nigel- Amp/Cab & FX for Guitar, Pultec EQP-1A- EQ, Pultec Pro- Vintage EQ, Cambridge EQ, Fairchild 670 & 670M Tube Compressor, DreamVerb and others

Steinberg Halion 2.0 Software Sampler/Synth

Steinberg Groove Agent

Steinberg Xphrase

Native Instruments Komplete

Apple Garage Band

Apple Soundtrack

Apple Final Cut Pro HD

Apple Motion

Apple DVD StudioPro-3

Digidesign Producers Pack Plugins

DrumCore

LIVE 6

Guitar Rig II and III

SpectraFoo Complete

There is really a lot more stuff on the drives, but that's what I could remember now. Its always changing, anyway.

I also got over 100,000 various audio production loops from Sonic Foundry, M-Audio, Cakewalk, Apple, Hal Leonard, and several other companies. Far too many to ever use, unfortunately.

Studio Monitor System

Tannoy PBM 6.5 Limpet Powered monitors

Mackie 824 Monitors

KRK Rockit 6 Monitors

MO-Pads from AURALEX

Rolls RA62 6 Channel Headphone Amplifier

AKG K240M Professional Studio Monitoring Headphones (2)

Signal Processors and Effects (outboard)

M-Audio Tampa Mic Pre-Amp

ART Pro Channel Tube Mic Pre-Amps

SansAmp rack mount guitar pre-amp

ART FX-1

M-Audio MIDISport 8x8

TC Helicon VoiceLive Vocal Processor

Recording Decks

3 Alesis ADATs (XT20, XT, Blackface) (now just used to hold my rack together)

Fostex D5 DAT Recorder

Microphones

Joemeek original JM47 "Meekrophone" Large Diaphragm Studio Condenser Microphone (2)

Equitek CAD E-100 Microphones (Matched Pair) of 2)

ADK Hamburg Condenser Pressure Gradient Fixed-Cardioid Microphone (2)

ADK A-48 Class A tube switchable 9-polar pattern condenser mic

ADK SC-1 True condenser small capsule wide Cardioid mic

ADK A-51 Solid state Cardioid 1-inch diaphragm condenser mic

Shure SM-48 (2)

Shure SM-57

Shure SM-58 (2)

Oktava MK-319 Studio Condenser Microphone

RODE NT3 Small Diaphragm Studio Condenser Microphone (2)

Shure KSM27 Studio Condenser Microphone

Studio Projects B1 Large Diaphragm Studio Condenser Microphone

Studio Projects B3 Large Diaphragm Studio Condenser Microphone

MXL V6 Silicon Valve Microphone

Violet Black Knight (2)

Violet The Globe

Violet Amethyst Vintage

Keyboards/Controllers

Korg SP-100 Weighted 88 key digital piano/MIDI Controller

M-Audio Drum Finger

MIDI Guitar with Roland Pickup and Roland Guitar Synth GR1

That's just what I can remember in a fit of typing, folks. There are more things I've bought I can't even remember at the moment, from mic pres to mikes to..... stop me before I buy again!

PLEASE TELL ME I AM NOT ALONE!

...hm... Dude... you only use one display??? (lets see if I can get you GASsing for a 3 display setup!).

I too have a recording gear (and guitar) problem... of course my options (if buy locally) are somehow limited... so I have it a little under control... but each time I travel up north... damn I spend more in a week than what I spend here in a year...

I am using Nuendo 3 and Cubase 4... how is Nuendo 4 compared to #3? I have read it is aimed at Video more than audio now (thats why I havent tried it yet).

Jokes aside, I think you should try working in a 2 or 3 display enviroment... I'm using 2 20" ("normal" monitors one at each side of the main display) and a 30" Wide screen monitor in the middle...

...hm... Dude... you only use one display??? (lets see if I can get you GASsing for a 3 display setup!).

I too have a recording gear (and guitar) problem... of course my options (if buy locally) are somehow limited... so I have it a little under control... but each time I travel up north... damn I spend more in a week than what I spend here in a year...

I am using Nuendo 3 and Cubase 4... how is Nuendo 4 compared to #3? I have read it is aimed at Video more than audio now (thats why I havent tried it yet).

Jokes aside' date=' I think you should try working in a 2 or 3 display enviroment... I'm using 2 20" ("normal" monitors one at each side of the main display) and a 30" Wide screen monitor in the middle... [/quote']

I forgot to mention the other video output is connected to a projector in the studio, shooting the desktop to a screen against a wall. That's even better than another monitor! You should see it for Foley work. smile.gif

Nuendo 4 and Cubase 4, pretty close to the same thing at the end of the day. I still find Nuendo to be my "go-to" DAW most of the time because its just so easy to use and sounds really good. Nuendo in general is just a post production ramped up version of Cubase best I can tell.

mike, mike, mike.... LOL! your wife is a patient woman, isnt she! sounds like a beautiful playroom! you must be recording more than 3 tracks dylan covers with all the stuff. me? i'm at the beginning of the bug phase. i just bought cubase studio 4 and ez drummer and added a hard drive. i'm upgrading from cubase le. now the fun begins as i clearly see where its led you.

what mic did you use to record your j200 and how was it positioned? i've noticed many players say that a mic at the neck and one at the sound hole, both 6" away from the guitar and 21" apart, is a good basic set up. some also say that the sm-58 is still the best. what's your take?

I've been an audio engineer since the mid 80's. I not even laid down one single track of myself, even with all the gear I get access to. (shame on me)

As for mics on an acoustic, I've always leaned toward Neumann KM-183's (mid-neck) And an AKG 414 (sound hole both aimed about 45 degrees toward bridge end of guitar, on separate tracks and out of phase)

c421a9529b5da18adacb694eb2e0037e.jpg

AKG_C414ULS_alt4.jpg

Thats my fledgling Apple-centric news site I started a few years ago, and I was reviewing a microphone called The Globe from Violet. I almost would never point a mike at a sound hole. I tend to shoot for the 8th-12th fret on the neck, and then pointed to the top and toward the end of the soundboard.

Cubase is great software.

I am also using a program called Reaper. It is a great DAW for Mac and Windows, and its only $50.00 to register it after an extended long fully-functional demo period. I like it for more than recording, it also happens to be the only DAW out there with a plugin included with it called Ninjam, which allows me to perform live shows via the Internet in real time with other musicians from around the world.

http://reaper.fm/

mike' date=' mike, mike.... LOL! your wife is a patient woman, isnt she! sounds like a beautiful playroom! you must be recording more than 3 tracks dylan covers with all the stuff. me? i'm at the beginning of the bug phase. i just bought cubase studio 4 and ez drummer and added a hard drive. i'm upgrading from cubase le. now the fun begins as i clearly see where its led you.

what mic did you use to record your j200 and how was it positioned? i've noticed many players say that a mic at the neck and one at the sound hole, both 6" away from the guitar and 21" apart, is a good basic set up. some also say that the sm-58 is still the best. what's your take?[/quote']

I forgot to mention the other video output is connected to a projector in the studio' date=' shooting the desktop to a screen against a wall. That's even better than another monitor! You should see it for Foley work. :)

[/quote']

damn! I got two projectors that I use just for displaying power point presentations during conferences... I'll have to try that setup... (now I know I should have never read this thread!:) )

Archived