Gibson Brands Forums

1944 J-45

TWilson

Saturday I visited one of my local guitar shops, Bullfrog Music, to visit with Kurt, the owner. Hanging High from the entryway was a 1944 J-45 Banner. This was only the 2nd Gibson that I have seen in his shop. The other was a 60's-something SJ last summer. I asked him if I could see it and he said, "can't you see it from there"? Ha ha, I said and he got it down for me. Bodywise it was in pretty good shape, the usual stuff for a 1944 guitar. No noticeable cracks, it had a lot of mojo going on. There was a worn spot on the soundhole just above the pickguard, the tuners had been replaced and someone had added a soundhole pickup to it, apparently a long time ago. I've never seen one like it but can't remember what it was. It was metal and fairly wide. They also decided that it would be a good idea to put a piece of sheetmetal around the jack in the end of the guitar. It was about 1" square and had little rivets holding it on. The neck looked straight and the action was low and buttery. The strings were visibly old and Kutrt had not put new ones on it yet. The bass E string was wound backwards which I used as an occasion to make fun of Kurt's tech skills. I wish I had had my camerea with me as I would have posted photos. The asking price on this guitar was $3,500. If anyone is interested in more info let me know. I could go down and take some shots of it no problem. I don't work for this store or gain anything from this other than letting fellow Gibsonites know what's out there. I would have liked to try it with new strings on it and maybe he'll get around to it.

Archived