Gibson Brands Forums

Can you tell which is which? ***RESULTS***

Spot

Well I finally got my hands on a friends digital recorder (a nice Zoom H4n) and just quickly recorded this test following lots of great threads on the Forum about that "Gibson sound". I also thought that peeps maybe interested in comparing a few new and old Gibson models. Thirdly,... there has been lots of discussion on the "flaws" on the adjustable bridge on a guitars tone...

Based on the above I thought that it would be interesting play a little GAME!!!

In the Soundcloud track link below, you will hear four different USA made guitars made by Gibson,.... On each guitar two short strummed riffs are played, preceding each track each guitar is named either guitar 1, 2, 3 and 4.

Now, Here are the Questions:

1. Can Ya'll tell me which guitar is which from the list below?

2. Which is your favourite sounding of the four and why?

Guitars played:-

a. 2005 Gibson J-45 Historic Collection

IMG_0253.jpg

b. 1963 Gibson Country Western (Square shoulder)

IMG_0089.jpg

c. 2005 Epiphone USA Texan w/ adj bridge

IMG_0176.jpg

d. 1964 Gibson J-50 adj

DSCN0367.jpg

Soundcloud

This should be interesting....

NOTE: I'm no Pro musician so please excuse the mistakes and obvious lack of talent!!!

[thumbup]

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

preferences:

1) I liked this one for in a band setting, everything is there, not too bass heavy for a multi-intrument arrangement.

4) For a solo piece this one has more bass presence.

Overall there are a lot of similarities though, I doubt I could name which is which model correctly though.

I will have a go, but I will need to listen on my speakers at home rather than the crappy work speakers.

But it looks like its going to be a tough one as these guitars seem to be very 'related' to each other.

Lookign forward to having a crack ..

I will have a go, but I will need to listen on my speakers at home rather than the crappy work speakers.

But it looks like its going to be a tough one as these guitars seem to be very 'related' to each other.

Lookign forward to having a crack ..

...very interested in hearing all your thoughts, especially you EA as a fellow '60's CW owner!

I'm going to hold off on announcing what is what till I get a few attempts in...

[thumbup]

Overall there are a lot of similarities though, I doubt I could name which is which model correctly though.

100% agree with you the on similarities PM.....Come on,....have a go on guessing....

[biggrin]

I have fairly good idea which one might be the CW but I will hold out until I listen to it at home.

Please dont reveal the guitar identify for at least 24 - 48 hours ! :-)

...very interested in hearing all your thoughts, especially you EA as a fellow '60's CW owner!

I'm going to hold off on announcing what is what till I get a few attempts in...

[thumbup]

...Funny point to add. I have a good buddy who I jam with often and who has played three of the four guitars.

He took the TEST and got all of them wrong! what's more,...he can actually play the guitar!!!!

His least favourite of the four guitars on the Soundcloud track turned out to be the one he likes the most!!! ...and wants to buy off me!!!!

Go figure...

:unsure:

OK, Im going to have a go, and probably be horribly wrong due to haste.

But I had a chance to take a listen on decent headphones and here's what I hear and how I rank them.

1) 05 J-45 - more sparkly which could suggest not as vintage as the others, very strong midrange

2) CW - has a very lush, hummingbird like quality, very similar to my CW

3) 64 J-50 - I can hear a vintage Gibson bass thump

4) Texan - not as clear and defined tone as the others, hence I pressumed it to be the Epi.

Thats it, Ive rolled my dice ... :unsure:

This is a hardcore test - the 4 blend up (like owned by a man who knows what he wants). They sound good by the way - and nice chord progression.

I can't do it, , , will try anyway after midnight -

Thanks E-minor...

It's funny how my own preconceptions of what guitar would actually sound the best changed after listening to this recording (...which I think recording quality wise, is OK compared to all those youtube vids)

Please don't be to concerned about getting it 100% right as this is NOT AS EASY AS IT ACTUALLY SOUNDS!!!!!!

Let's all just have some fun and play the game....

On a seperate note this excercise just confirms to me what I was saying to say in the other Thread about the various Youtube recordings of different Gibson guitars and putting your finger on what exactly that Gibson tone, or Gibson "Thump" is. IMO - The Bottom line is that its very hard to comment on a guitar sound from a bad recording on Youtube....

Does that make sense to anybody????

[scared]

OK, Im going to have a go, and probably be horribly wrong due to haste.

But I had a chance to take a listen on decent headphones and here's what I hear and how I rank them.

1) 05 J-45 - more sparkly which could suggest not as vintage as the others, very strong midrange

2) CW - has a very lush, hummingbird like quality, very similar to my CW

3) 64 J-50 - I can hear a vintage Gibson bass thump

4) Texan - not as clear and defined tone as the others, hence I pressumed it to be the Epi.

Thats it, Ive rolled my dice ... :unsure:

Heheeeee,...well we have our first entry, thanks EuroAussie!!!!

...and what's are your favourites in order please?

Answers to be revelled by let's say, 11:00 Friday morning UK time? Hopefully we should have a few entries by then...

[thumbup]

Im going to have another listen tonite and tell you ...

And of course probably change the order around .. [biggrin]

Heheeeee,...well we have our first entry, thanks ES!!!!

...and what's your favourite in order please?

Answers to be revelled by let's say, 11:00 Friday morning UK time? Hopefully we should have a few entries by then...

[thumbup]

Well, this is fun. Texan, Historic, J50, CW? Getting a side plate of crow ready, just in case.

Oh, likes and dislikes? The inside pair both had a nice ring and full sounded. #2 sounded more just out of the box. The outside 2 not so much. I heard a more limited range of tone and less balance, the 1st being brighter, the 4th chunkier.

Well, this is fun. Texan, Historic, J50, CW? Getting a side plate of crow ready, just in case.

Oh, likes and dislikes? The inside pair both had a nice ring and full sounded. #2 sounded more just out of the box. The outside 2 not so much. I heard a more limited range of tone and less balance, the 1st being brighter, the 4th chunkier.

Very interesting Rambler,...fancy having a crack guessing what's what?

..and listing your favourites in order?

:)

Very interesting Rambler,...fancy having a crack guessing what's what?

..and listing your favourites in order?

:)

I did: Tx, Histo, J-50, CW. All had a tone but found the inside two more pleasing. If it comes to a vote, its 3,2 and a pick 'em for 3/4.

I did: Tx, Histo, J-50, CW. All had a tone but found the inside two more pleasing. If it comes to a vote, its 3,2 and a pick 'em for 3/4.

OK so Rambler's guess is:-

Guitar No.1 Texan

Guitar No.2 J-45

Guitar No.3 J-50

Guitar No.4 Country Western

Very fun! It took a lot of replays to start to hear the differences, but there're there. Here's my entry:

No. 1 - Texan

No. 2 - J45

No. 3 - C/W

No. 4 - J50

To my ear, Nos 3 and 4 have more complex, fluid tones that I associate with aged soundboards--but then, the ears are aged, too! [tongue] No. 3 is my favorite--it's the "biggest" tone and the one I'd like to get to know more of...

Thanks!

This is great Rich, and after listening several times I am none the wiser. I would hazard a guess that the middle two are the ones with the ADJ saddles, so I think they are:-

A. 63 C&W. It seemed more lush and balanced.

B. 05 Non Macca Texan.

C. 64 J-50 Because it sounded the closest to my 62 Texan in my view, Whereas B although similar, sounded a little tighter (Newer).

D. 05 J-45.

If I can have a second guess I would swap the inner two around, and the outer two as well!

A. 05 J-45.

B. 64 J-50.

C. 05 Non Macca.

D. 63 C&W.

I wouldn`t be surprised if I am completely wide of the mark. [biggrin]

Steve.

Ok, I had another listen on the speakers at home, it was a bit difficult as the bass frequencies are really strong and are sort of shielding the mids and trebels a bit, but Im sticking with my choices.

And also in terms of favourite for me its actually 1,2,3,4 meaning the order that they were played in.

Ok, I had another listen on the speakers at home, it was a bit difficult as the bass frequencies are really strong and are sort of shielding the mids and trebels a bit, but Im sticking with my choices.

..Probabley due to recording in my Veranda which gives a nice boomy bassy sound... but I'd say in hindsight the mic was way to close to the soundhole in a room like this...

on you picks EA,...can you please put them in Guitar/Model order as above so I'm clear on your guesses? Also favs in order,...I'm a little confused...

Thanks mate...

[blush]

Sorry, so order in terms of identification:

a) J-45 historic

B) CW

c) J-50

d) Texan

And my favourites in terms of tone was the order they were played in the sample, i.e most favourite guitar a) then B) then c) then d)

Does it make sense ? :-)

OK EA,...can you please put them in Guitar/Model order as above so I'm clear on your guesses? Also favs in order,...I'm a little confused...

Thanks mate...

[blush]

Sorry, so order in terms of identification:

a) J-45 historic

B) CW

c) J-50

d) Texan

And my favourites in terms of tone was the order they were played in the sample, i.e most favourite guitar a) then B) then c) then d)

Does it make sense ? :-)

Got it mate. Thanks.....

I'll start by saying, listening to a recording is no way to evaluate a guitar. But since they're all recorded at the same place and time, on the same recorder, using the same chording and strumming, by the same player - this is a worthy comparison - good job on that Spoton. B)

Very similar sounding. They all sounded great, a couple more so than the others. I admit - a real head scratcher for me. Here goes - to my ears -

1 - I thought had the least low end and brightest sound/tone. - - Texan

2 - Seemed to have more punch in the mids, but still a nice low end. - - C/W

3 - Had the best low end, and seemed to be the most even. - - J50

4 - Similar to 3 but a bit tighter, and the most thump. - - J45

I'll start by saying, listening to a recording is no way to evaluate a guitar.

Again,...agreed 100%. Room conditions, recording device used, style, device playing back on...etc. are all to variable...

[thumbup]

Thanks for the input BK....

Archived