Gibson Brands Forums

Effects boxes - power supplies

Wolff

I'm not sure where to post this so I'll go with the most popular forum section.

Is it really necessary to go with the exact power supply recommended or will any 9volt adapter due usually? Specifically, I just got a KranK Distortus Maximus pedal and it calls for:

Boss PSA-120 or Danelectro DA-1 adapters.

Couldn't I just use one of the several Digitech 9V/120 adapters I have or else just a regular OneSpot 9V multi-connector?

There is a new forum for general discussion that this could have been posted to but to attempt to anser your question, you can't just slap any ol' 9v adaptor on there and expects it to work. You have to be aware of the power ratings, amps in this case, and polarity. More amps is OK, less amps not so much. Could burn something out. But I would expect that a OneSpot would work just fine if the polatiry matches.

Also make sure it supplies DC and not AC. Not so likely but worth a check.

And one of the biggest show stoppers, the plug has to fit the recepticle.

Polarity needs to be correct i.e. the + sign and - sign need to match (inside/outside or pole/sleeve if you will), the connector needs to fit snugly, but I believe the amps need to match. Too much more will overload the circuit, too much less will not provide the necessary push. I think the Boss PSU is around 20.00, BUT if you get a TU-2 tuner, it will also act as a power unit for up to.... 5 other pedals (I think), if you get the cable as well.

Here's what you need to know: (some has been mentioned, and some incorrectly)

1) Make sure that the power supply is regulated to eliminate noise - they always say on them if they are or not.

2) Check the polarity matches your pedal. +/- need to match.

3) Ensure the voltage of the power adapter falls within the range specified by the pedal. Some are specifically 9V, some can vary from 9 to 18V, and some may be specific, but 24V or even 30V

4) The amperage does not matter, as long as it is more than required. A power supply that is rated for 900mA can supply a pedal that only requires 65mA for example (assuming criterion 1 thru 3 match). The advantage with this supply is that you can buy a daisy chain and feed as many pedals as you can until you reach 900mA. Above that and you start to push the limit of the PS. And don't over due the number of pedals, or you will introduce electronic noise.

5) Most power supplies sold my music stores (ie voodoo labs pp2p, dc brick, one spot) will work on most pedals, you just need the correct adapter. You can buy the Boss PSA and use it like a one spot if you like, the only real advantage of the one spot is that it fits better onto a power bar.

6) Always read and understand the power requirements of the pedal before you try to plug something wrong into it, you can an (according to murphy's law) will fry it.

6) Always read and understand the power requirements of the pedal before you try to plug something wrong into it' date=' you can an (according to murphy's law) will fry it.

[/quote']

Most important thing yet.

The electronics:

Volts= the guys standing at the rail on the bridge

Resistance= The railing

Amps= How hard you have to push him to get him past the railing and off the bridge.

What folks here are trying to tell you is that it doesn't matter how hard you push him, as long as you push him hard enough to go over the rail. What I said was... you need to push hard enough to get him over the rail, but not hard enough to take the rail with him.

Make sense now?

Yeah, you guys are right of course about taking the time to get the proper adapter. I saw MF has the Danelectro DA-1 for $8.95 so that's a no-brainer. BTW, I wasn't sure if the General Discussion section was for non-music related subjects only but apparently not. I'll be more careful next time where I post.

Archived