Gibson Brands Forums

Welcome CS336 and 356 owners and admirers

dodgytoo

I am the proud owner of a CS336 and if you click on the link below it will take you directly to the page showing mine. Mine is a 2005 model that I bought new.

http://www.rivercityrockets.com/GibsonCS336.html

To be honest at the time I walked into the Gibson dealer here I had not heard of the CS336 in advance. I just saw this stunning guitar hanging there, took it off the wall, played it for about an hour, then bought it and brought her home. These are fabulous guitars and I'm so glad I saw it, played it and grabbed it. [thumbup]

Thanks for reviving this thread. Speaking of 2004 models, here's my Custom Shop one-off 336:

DSC02081.jpg

After reading the thread yesterday, I picked her up last night and played Warren Haynes' "Soulshine" which I normally play on my LP Elegant. The higher fret access of the 336 adds to the soloing potential of this wonderful song.

I decided to go with a summer pic since it was 16 degrees when I got up this am.

Have to agree that 336s are fabulous. Versatile, comfortable and tone rich:

Guitars002_zpsdf982c2b.jpg

I really got mine by accident back just about 10 years ago (Jan 2003). Was out looking for an inexpensive Epi Dot semi hollow and found 336 hanging on the wall, didn't really know what it was. Played it - came back a couple days later and traded a pristine 175 and a Strat for it. The way it played and the tone it got, I just had to have that guitar. Like others have said - axes come and go, but this one will always be with me. [thumbup]

Have to agree that 336s are fabulous. Versatile, comfortable and tone rich:

Guitars002_zpsdf982c2b.jpg

I really got mine by accident back just about 10 years ago (Jan 2003). Was out looking for an inexpensive Epi Dot semi hollow and found 336 hanging on the wall, didn't really know what it was. Played it - came back a couple days later and traded a pristine 175 and a Strat for it. The way it played and the tone it got, I just had to have that guitar. Like others have said - axes come and go, but this one will always be with me. [thumbup]

Looks awesome! [thumbup]

I found my CS356 by accident too. I never even knew the model even existed until I saw it in a used guitar listing while looking for an ES to add to my collection. Since it had the smaller scaled body, which I like, and it looked to be in great condition I took a chance with this guitar. It's the best find I've made, just could not have found a better guitar.

Now to find an ES359! [smile]

• 1 month later...

After playing my Midtown Kalamazoo that I couldn't put down ever since I got it right before Christmas - I whipped out my CS336 tonight with a vintage Marshall JTM 30 to re-visit some other nirvana tone. See you guys later [wub]

Nothing like rediscovering and falling in love with a guitar again... [thumbup]

Like JM2112, said about finding his CS-336 by accident. That's how I found mine. I was actually looking for a Les Paul when I stumbled across mine. I thought this can't be an ES-335; the

body's too small. The Sales person told me it was a CS-336. I asked him if I could plug it in. I fell in love with it immediately. The only problem I had with mine after a while was the ABR-1

bridge rattled too much and cause some buzzing. I got a TonePro ABR-1 replacement and now she sings more beautifully. [biggrin]

I don't know why Gibson does not make more of these models. It really can cover a wide range of tone, then add to that the awesome playability and comfortable body style. I love all my guitars, but my CS356 is the best of them. Also glad I picked up an ES359 too!!! [thumbup]

Brothers: CS356 and ES359

IMG_0360_zpsc80b2fb5.jpg

I don't know why Gibson does not make more of these models. It really can cover a wide range of tone, then add to that the awesome playability and comfortable body style. I love all my guitars, but my CS356 is the best of them. Also glad I picked up an ES359 too!!! [thumbup]

Brothers: CS356 and ES359

IMG_0360_zpsc80b2fb5.jpg

No....must not look...must keep wallet in pocket... [cursing] aw poop.. too late. I looked [cursing]

• 7 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

How's the new guitar? Is it as good as Clayville said it would be?

I need to hear it!

I currently own the ES 346 PJ and I love it. The size is just right. It stays tune, sounds great and plays with ease. I like to use D'Addario Chromes 10's to get the best smooth jazz sound.

Jimmyjjohn, not sure why you are repeating my exact words as your own from page 1 of this post. Not cool!

Dodgytoo,

How's the new guitar? Is it as good as Clayville said it would be?

I need to hear it!

I currently own the ES 346 PJ and I love it. The size is just right. It stays tune, sounds great and plays with ease. I like to use D'Addario Chromes 10's to get the best smooth jazz sound.

The problem I'm having is that I like the PJ so much for Jazz and Blues that I'm constantly changing my strings from chromes (jazz) to nickel (blues). I need another guitar for dedicated Blues work. And lately I've been "musing" for the the 356. The 335 and 355 are two big. Too much rear on these guitars. Also, they lack the smooth sound of Mahogany bodies that I like in the PJ and PRS.

I need to find me some money!

• 6 years later...
On 11/24/2020 at 3:47 PM, maller said:

https://eddiesguitars.com/gibson-custom-shop-cs-336-bigsby-figured-trans-black-burst-6-14-cs000378

What do you think of this color scheme with the Bigsby?  I haven’t see the translucent black before, would like to check one out in-person.

Very nice indeed IMO, but a high price as it's (probably) an early number.

https://eddiesguitars.com/gibson-custom-shop-cs-336-bigsby-figured-trans-black-burst-6-14-cs000378

On 11/27/2020 at 4:18 PM, jdgm said:

Very nice indeed IMO, but a high price as it's (probably) an early number.

Ah, I didn’t  pay attention to the number.  So, how old is this guitar?  

is it odd that I can’t find any other mention of a translucent black CS-336 with Bigsby, outside of this listing?

19 hours ago, maller said:

Ah, I didn’t  pay attention to the number.  So, how old is this guitar?  

is it odd that I can’t find any other mention of a translucent black CS-336 with Bigsby, outside of this listing?

CS000378. 

Would be either 2000 (no - CS336 not introduced until 2001) or 2010 (and the 378th guitar made by the CS in that year).

I think 2010 but contact Gibson for confirmation.

EDIT - see post below!

Edited by jdgm

On 11/24/2020 at 10:47 AM, maller said:

What do you think of this color scheme with the Bigsby?  I haven’t see the translucent black before, would like to check one out in-person.

There may have been a very few in Trans Black for various "special runs" over the last 19 years while these were production run guitars, but the third to last line in the specs at your link includes "M2M" in that second serial-like order number shown. To me, that likely indicates this one was recently made (2020 I think, based on the actual serial number) and constructed as a custom order one-off in the "Made to Measure" program - which is, I believe, currently the only way to get a CS-336 or CS-356 made. I'm guessing that means the price is a "List" price derived from the specs. Generally, a bigsby adds to the M2M base price, as does the premium top wood and a custom (non-standard) color...

Edited by clayville
  • Like 1