Gibson Brands Forums

will i blow my amp up???

turtle

i have a quick question about my fender hotrod deville> i havent been using it too much because the thing is bloody loud> i use my other amps usually but... i have tweeked it out a bit and now its a monster> the only problem is that its still too freakin loud> i was thinking about using a boost pedal. put it like this pre amp out / pedal / power amp like an effects loop and turning the boost pedal down so i can raise my amp volume without blowing my eardrums out> will this overload anything??? or am i safe?> also if its safe can i make a quick pedal with just a volume knob and plug it inbetween the pre and power amp? i hope this doesnt confuse anyone>

You won't hurt your amp, but it won't sound much different either. You will be cranking the back end but dropping the front end signal. The net result will be similar. I used to do this with my Fender Bassman heads. I'd crank the vol to 10 and then control it with a pedal set to low volume. In the end it sounded about the same. A power attenuator would be the route to take if you want that power tubey goodness at less than deafening volumes. Try the Weber Mass.

You want it quieter but you still want it to sound good. Sounds to me like you need to use a distortion pedal in front and turn the amp volume down. Something like a TS9 will give you a nice tube amp distortion sound. If you want the tubes to saturate so you get that natural distortion and compression then a power brake as suggested already is the way to go but from what I've heard they really tend to rob your tone.

the only problem is that its still too freakin loud

In my simplistic view of "the world according to Larry", why don't you just sell/trade the Hotrod Deville for a lower powered amp. You might even end up with some cash back in your pocket.

selling it might be an idea> i would like like to hear an orange tiny terror > ive heard some good things >thanks guys for the info> id hate to buy a $400 attenuator for an $800 amp>

i might be better with a pair of nice $5 ear plugs hahaha > just kidding

Archived