Gibson Brands Forums

So who is a Lounge Lush?

daveinspain

If you have more than one type of Gibson check off the one you associate yourself with most... Like, I'm a Les Paul guy but I have a ES 339 and a whatever you want to mention. If you choose other please let us know what you have.

I choose Les Paul because I have a few and I frequent the Les Paul forum more than any other but, and a BIG BUT, my heart belongs to SG's for sentimental reasons...

Les Paul Owner (and soon to be SG owner too! ...yes guys they called me...)

Hold the phone...HOLD THE PHONE.

You're getting a SG now? Please explain this post from the "Why is it" thread. O:)

I used to feel the same way Timbo... but once I got my Tele... I'm not GASsing for anything right now... maybe once you get your strat you'll be cured for life... :) Or maybe you should get a Tele :P J/K man...

...you got that right man...

Well sort of ...

Remember a while ago I ordered a SG standard in natural burst and they told me it would be 1 month... then 2 months... then they told me "by december" ... then they called and told me the order was delayed and they would get her by january...

So I went and played some other suff (yes, just like that out of GAS) they had and ended up with the American Ash 60 anniversary Tele (which I bought out of pure unadulterated GAS but now love and is my favorite eusa_whistle.gif ).

I told them if I was buying that thing they should forget I asked for a SG as I already used all my guitar fund for 2008... so last week the little f-cker calls and tells me that, apparently they have a SG standard comming and as they didnt order any other SG they think that one is mine...

I told him I already cancelled that order and it probably belongs to another person. He says it will be here the third week of october and he will keep her in the box until I go and take her out, try her and decide if I want to keep her... (I'm up to my *** in work until october the 7th anyway so I have no problem waitting).

BUT looking at your response in that thread (something about a SG reissue...) makes me think... what about a reissue (either SG or LP)...=P~ ...

BUT looking at your response in that thread (something about a SG reissue...) makes me think... what about a reissue (either SG or LP)...eusa_think.gif ...

The difference between a Les Paul and a Les Paul reissue is night and day.

The difference isn't so apparent with the SGs. I found the historic SG I tried out was a little better than my SG at everything, but not by much. Overall a better guitar, but not by much. My SG could hold it's own against it...but it's not the same with Les Pauls. No comparison. Just get your hands on a R? Les Paul, play it for at least 15 minutes and then pick up your Standard Faded...that's all I'm saying. Once you do, let me know what your verdict is.

Although everyone here has been nice to me so far' date=' I must say I don't like the feeling that if all you own is a regular off the shelf Les Paul, then it's not worthy somehow. [/quote']

That's not the case. Let me ask you something, if you own an Epiphone Les Paul and absolutely love it, is it not worthy because it's an Epiphone? No.

Gibson USA Les Pauls are great guitars, there's no doubt about that and I never said that they weren't. I love my LP Standard. On its own, it's a great guitar. She's a great player, feels pretty good and sounds decent (I've recently started liking the BurstBucker Pros less and less, but that's a whole other story). The problem is, my LP Standard is not so great if I play it after playing a reissue. It actually feels like deadwood after playing a reissue. When I say the difference is night and day, it's because the difference is literally night and day.

It's like stepping into a BMW after stepping out of a Rolls Royce. Really, that's what it is. LP Standards are high quality instruments made by Gibson; whereas, Custom Shop LPs are even higher quality guitars...especially the reissues.

When I make a post and say reissues are way better, I say it because I own both and I can see physically see, hear & feel the differences in the instruments everyday.

Now, another thing is I've been frequenting this forum for 6-8 months now. Thunder's been here even longer and although I've never met the guy and never will, there's a sense of familiarity, which makes a person talk more casually. From what I can tell, Thunder's a pretty good guy. I mean sure the guy recently messed up and bought a Telecaster, but nobody's perfect, right? (eusa_angel.gif) If somebody like Thunder is going to buy a guitar, I'd like to help them out and steer them in the right direction the best I can, based on my experience.

I can understand why guys want to show off their prized Custom Shop models of course. I'm not at a skill level where one Les Paul sounds all that much different than the next anyway unfortunately. How about I drop the issue and somebody explains to me what this R designation means. I thought it meant the year for the re-issue. R7 = 1957, R8 = 1958, etc.

About the pups Tim. I'm really, really happy with the SD H6 pups I put in my ebony Standard. Definitely better than the BBPs in my sunburst Standard. Then again, I really don't know what I'm doing compared to many of you guys. LOL.

oh and....what's wrong with Telecasters? I love my Keith Richards model.

From what I can tell' date=' Thunder's a pretty guy.[/quote']

Tim... I thought we had talked about this... NOT in the public area...

hehehehe just kidding man... Thanks for the comments on the SG and everything else... you know... I am really scared of playing a reissue... sometimes I'm glad my local dealer hasnt got one. I know the minute I play one I will be damned to just buy them... all of them](*,) (sounds familiar eh? O:) )

oh and....what's wrong with Telecasters? I love my Keith Richards model.

Nothing wrong about them... Tim has this thing against teles because he played one (cheap-*** squier afinity tele) just after getting his last R ... and he realized Teles were better O:)

Archived