Gibson Brands Forums

Hummingbird

Denis57

Hi all!

This is my first post and hope to get some feed back from a Gibson player point of view. Being a huge fan of the late 60's Rolling Stones, especially of Keith Richards' guitar playing, I got interested in the Hummingbird. It was the guitar of my dreams up until I actually got to play one. I did not find that cool bright sound I could hear on Let it Bleed or Beggars Banquet. Perhaps it's a question of strings that were not new or whatever, I was not impressed. After doing some research and asked around other forums, the feed back I gor was pretty negative. I know there are two (maybe more) version available: true vintage and modern classic. I believe the one I tried was the modern classic, with electronics. If I could be certain that it is still possible to have this instrument sings like on " Love in Vain", I would be more tah happy to order one from my guitar store. Apparently though, you have to try a bunch before finding the right one, so I'm not too hot at the idea of paying this much money on a guitar that won't bring me those cool bright tones.

Anyways, any one on this board to shed more light on this instrument.

If I could be certain that it is still possible to have this instrument sings like on " Love in Vain", I would be more tah happy to order one from my guitar store.

It seems pretty unlikely that the one you tried wasn't better than Keef's, as the late-'60s models were pretty crummy as a rule. Credit Glyn Johns, not the guitar, with what you hear on the record.

That said, ... . Like all high-quality acoustic guitars, no two Hummingbirds sound exactly the same, because no two pieces of spruce or mahogany are the same. (There's definitely some disagreement about whether Gibsons are more variable than other brands, and whether there's any special validity to the "You've got to play a lot to find a good one" in the case of Gibsons, but little disagreement that trying before you buy is a good idea.) So you might very well find another Hummingbird that you like better than the one you checked out. A lot of us think that TVs sound much better than Standards, as a rule, so I would definitely recommend that you give one of those a try.

Good luck!

-- Bob R

After doing some research and asked around other forums, the feed back I gor was pretty negative.
Not sure why as I owned three Hummingbirds in the past 40-odd years & each was a very nice guitar. There are plenty of HB fans in this world. Never owned a Bozeman HB but played some good ones.

IMO Hummingbirds are a great instrument for playing rhythm with a group, recording, song accompaniment. They are not the best guitar in the world for cutting thru a bunch of other guitarists with your piercing leads. There are other guitars for that. I'm talking only acoustic tone/volume here as when you reinforce the sound any guitar can sound pretty good.

+1 on what Bob said. DK where you are located but there are shops that will sort through their new ones, select one they think sounds good & play it over the phone for you + have a great return policy. Thinking Elderly, Gruhn, Mandolin Bros might give you a hand if you ask.

I too say try the true vintage hummingbirds .Try and see if there is 5 star gibson dealear in your area. the carry much better stock than

GC and those kinda places (most of the time). But anyway if you find a dealear in your area ask if they have custom shop hummingbirds in stock

I've heard good thing about the produccion of the custom shop . It depends on your budget too but trying wont harm you .

I find that the modern HB tone is actually quite different to the vintage 60's HB tone. To me the 60's HB tone is quite crisp, dry, woody and with a nice 'chime'.

The modern HB's I find have a bit more 'honey glaze' to their tone, still a very lovelly tone but different, not as dry and crisp.

The way you describe the tone you are looking for seems to be more the vintage HB tone that I described, hence my suggestion would be to look at either a HB TV if you want to buy new or preferably a 60's HB or Country Western, same guitar, different finish.

Ive had the opportunity and played the 50th Anniversary and it left me cold so then I tried the stock same thing did not do anything for me . Very little projection and definition and the so as you I was all hyped out wanted a Hummingbird .

So at that point side by side playing comparison with a Gibson custom sunburst J 45 and I knew as soon as I had started playing the J 45 it set me straight the Hummingbird was not the sound my ears were longing for . The J 45 had rosewood back and sides with a sitca spruce top where the Hummingbird has Mahogany and to me it just does not rifle the sound or have the tone like the rosewood .

I bought the J45 it just had the mojo it was all there and since Ive been back to that store and I have tried that Hummingbird a few times but still no magic at all . Ive also just purchased a Martin HD 28 just a week ago and its marvelous . So now there is a Gibson J 200 , J 45 and a Martin HD 28 all are fine instruments with all different tone , flavors and personality .

My suggestion would be to try to get an Hummingbird of the 60s, minding that they have thin necks. If you want a new one try more Hbirds until you find the one for you. You may also try the Country & Western, mine sounded much better than the Hbirds present that day, but if you're looking for a peculiar sound of a record keep in mind that there's a lot of production added to the simple sound of the guitar and this is not possible to achieve with the sole instrument.

Thanks for the replies.

Unfortunately, here (Eastern Canada )we have only one dealer who has Hummingbird on stock , and when they do it's the one hanging on the wall. It is difficult to really make up one's mind see. Same thing for a true vintage, most likely, they can order it for me, but I would be stuck with it, like it or not.

The thing with Richards Bird or Birds is that they might have had the adjustable ceramic saddle (look up the concept if you don't know it). The ceramic saddle would provide a clearer/louder, some will say sharper, voice that then again would be equalized into that mythological Stones sound most people seem to dig so much – me included. It is pretty hard to find pictures of Keiths bridges, but give it a try and bring up the result here if you succeed.

I recall posting an early 70s shot where he plays something that may be a rosewood saddle – the softer alternative.

Could that have been used during some recordings. . .

As you see we have a good summer-riddle goin' here.

And if he and Jones joined the early Hummingbird wave there even is a chance the bridge itself could have been made of plastic ! How about that. . .

The standard HBs I've played have been hit and miss - some really good, some didn't move me. My brother recently bought a True Vintage HB and the thing sounds incredible! Really close to those old Stones records, which he and I are big fans of. It is a great guitar.

i went to GC yesterday and they had a Hbird, Hbird Pro and hbird Pro cutaway all on the wall. The Hbird had the dirtiest nastiest strings and sounded terrible. The Pro and especially the pro cutaway had clean strings and sounded amazing.

If you are serious about buying tell them to change the strings on the Hummingbird on the wall and give it a try then. Most stores won't mind. If they give you hassle offer to bring a set of your own or buy a set off them. It's worth it IMHO.

It seems pretty unlikely that the one you tried wasn't better than Keef's, as the late-'60s models were pretty crummy as a rule. Credit Glyn Johns, not the guitar, with what you hear on the record.

That said, ... . Like all high-quality acoustic guitars, no two Hummingbirds sound exactly the same, because no two pieces of spruce or mahogany are the same. (There's definitely some disagreement about whether Gibsons are more variable than other brands, and whether there's any special validity to the "You've got to play a lot to find a good one" in the case of Gibsons, but little disagreement that trying before you buy is a good idea.) So you might very well find another Hummingbird that you like better than the one you checked out. A lot of us think that TVs sound much better than Standards, as a rule, so I would definitely recommend that you give one of those a try.

Good luck!

-- Bob R

Keith Richard's Hummingbird heard in the'60's recordings was an early '60's version not late '60's. His was lighter braced with the ceramic adjustable bridge. These guitars sounded totally different than the late '60's "overbraced" models. Just sayin'.

Keith Richard's Hummingbird heard in the'60's recordings was an early '60's version not late '60's. His was lighter braced with the ceramic adjustable bridge. These guitars sounded totally different than the late '60's "overbraced" models. Just sayin'.

I thought it was a '65 -- it looked brand new at the time of the Dec '65 recording sessions, but I couldn't find any confirmation on the web, so you definitely could be right -- and things had gone pretty far downhill on most models by '65. (As you point out, there was still plenty of hill still left.)

I guess my main point was that you can't necessarily judge the tone of an acoustic based on recordings of it. Sometimes the natural acoustic tone is captured, sometimes the tone is "enhanced". By '69, some significant enhancement was possible if the engineer knew what he was doing, and Glyn Johns definitely knew what he was doing.

-- Bob R

My first experience with the HB was when I was actually looking for my first high quality flat top. I was looking at 000 size Martins for the most part, but nearly bought an HB because I had played one and it really had it. IT was bright yet sweet and had a beautiful harmonic texture. It was a newer one about 8 years or so ago.

Then, when I was actually looking at dread size guitars, it seemed every HB I came across sounded like a wet noodle-and most Gibby's at around that time. I would occasionally find a great or a good sounding one.

My last few trips in the past couple of years or so, the HB's and other Gibby's I tried were outstanding. The last time I went a couple weeks ago (first trip in a couple years to a store) the HB they had was AMAZING.

I should add that when I WAS looking for a dread flat top, and the 000 size, many of the Martins also sounded like wet noodles.

I think overall, acoustics vary in tone far more than other guitars, and the only way to get a guitar that sounds the way you want it to is to play it first.

If you HAD a guitar the sounded dull and you wanted to brighten it up, the strings and the bridge could make a lot of difference, but I can't say that is what made the guitars I played (of all brands) sound dark or bright.

I've played several HB Artists at Guitar Center and while I prefer the full-blown Hummingbird such as my own, I must admit that the Artists models that I played really had a good sound. Very warm and full. And really easy-on-the-fingers. If I didn't already have a "bird," I suspect I would have taken one of these home. Each of them was just a very nice guitar. I like all the inlay and the birds on the pickguard of the traditional "bird," but there's not a thing wrong with the Artist models...............Also, on most other guitar forums, you're going to run into Gibson bashers. They'll run-down Gibsons any time the name is mentioned. Just consider their words for what they're worth (very little), and then go ahead and find out for yourself. Play some of them. Gibsons are not cookie-cutter guitars like many of their competitors. Gibsons have a lot more human handwork on them. Within any model, they can vary from guitar to guitar. For example, no two Hummingbirds are likely to be exact identical twins. That can't happen when the "human factor" is involved to the extent it is. ...Just give them a chance and you may very well find one-hell-of-a-guitar.

Well, the end result is quite simple: If I want a Hummingbird, it will have to be the Modern Classic model. The True Vintage is not available and The Artist is a GC exclusive and my dealer can't order it for me. I could order them on the internet and add the custom fess and and and...

So what is the pulse on the Modern Classic here? The one I tried was not impressive; maybe the strings and the tuning were not the best possible though. I will have to try again. But here, I don't have the opportunity to try many. It's either the one on the wall or the one they order for me.

Denis - Today's Hummingbird is designed to compliment the singer's voice. Thats' it. Anyway you can get your hands on a Maple Custom model? That limited model presents another Hummingbird sound at which to listen and digest, but even so (bone to bone, nut to saddle) it is braced to compliment the singer's voice. Good hunting.

Steve

Denis - Today's Hummingbird is designed to compliment the singer's voice. Thats' it. Anyway you can get your hands on a Maple Custom model? That limited model presents another Hummingbird sound at which to listen and digest, but even so (bone to bone, nut to saddle) it is braced to compliment the singer's voice. Good hunting.

Steve

Actually my SC has a lot of volume, definitely louder than the current production J-45s. The upgrade of the bone saddle improved it as well, especially in fingerpicking and soloing.

Actually my SC has a lot of volume, definitely louder than the current production J-45s. The upgrade of the bone saddle improved it as well, especially in fingerpicking and soloing.

Alex, I knew your guitar would be the exception.

Hall

All the SCs I played are the exception then. And they were four.

I have and SC Signature myself. It is not a Hummingbird and is not designed to sound like one.

Hall

Archived