Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson ES 347 - The Red-Headed Stepchild of the Gibson Line?

Hoya

I own a 1981 ES 347 that I love - the craftsmanship' date=' the features, its a great guitar. Why is there no mention of the ES 347 in the Gibson website? Also - does anyone know how many of these were made? Thanks![/quote']

Don't know about red-heads, 'cause mine's a blonde. I have an '88 347S, and I love it too.

88GibsonES-347S_Nat.jpg

I believe these were "officially" in production from 1978 through 1988, but I know that I have seen a few '89s and even ones from the early 1990s, the latter probably made on a custom basis.

Fred

Hi Fred:

That's a beauty guitar. Did that come with a brass nut? In your photo it looks like bone or other material. Mine has a brass nut - I read an early review of the ES 347 where the writer thought that brass was a poor choice due to its "softness". I wonder if Gibson changed the material?

Brian

• 2 weeks later...

I had a ES-347 as of 3 days ago, my home was broken into and they took the guitar. It was a guitar that my buddy had before he died at an early age. I purchased it from his wife so I could have one of his instruments. Very sentimental. My ES-347 was exactly like the one posted, blond. But mine had a switch on the lower horn. Glad I have renter insurance and I am hoping to find one just like mine. It is hard to adjust to the loss of a guitar, ES-347's are beautiful guitars.

I had a ES-347 as of 3 days ago' date=' my home was broken into and they took the guitar. It was a guitar that my buddy had before he died at an early age. I purchased it from his wife so I could have one of his instruments. Very sentimental. My ES-347 was exactly like the one posted, blond. But mine had a switch on the lower horn. Glad I have renter insurance and I am hoping to find one just like mine. It is hard to adjust to the loss of a guitar, ES-347's are beautiful guitars.[/quote']

Wow, Steve, that is a sad story. I know how sentimental attachments to instruments make them valuable beyond any insurance check. Do you have the serial number and some photos? I would not only file a police report but (if you haven't) let some of the area's guitar shops know about it so they can be on watch for it. Also, maybe call some of the local pawn shops? Just a thought.

I know at least one Martin guitar site has a stolen guitar registry as well. I wonder if you could google to find out whether there is a similar Gibson registry or even just a simple general stolen guitar registry. In the case of the Martin registry, I know dealers regularly check the site to verify incoming guitars are not stolen.

Just a thought.

Ignatius

I believe these were "officially" in production from 1978 through 1988' date=' but I know that I have seen a few '89s and even ones from the early 1990s, the latter probably made on a custom basis.

Fred[/quote']

I have one from 1990 that has no custom markings on it.

I had a ES-347 as of 3 days ago' date=' my home was broken into and they took the guitar. It was a guitar that my buddy had before he died at an early age. I purchased it from his wife so I could have one of his instruments. Very sentimental. My ES-347 was exactly like the one posted, blond. But mine had a switch on the lower horn. Glad I have renter insurance and I am hoping to find one just like mine. It is hard to adjust to the loss of a guitar, ES-347's are beautiful guitars.[/quote']

Horrible. :(

Steve:

Ignatious is right - get the word out and maybe offer a reward. I feel really bad for you cause I would be freaking out if that happened to me. Also - most robberies are committed by people that are acquaintances (friend of a friend) so if you have any suspicians about someone make sure the police know. Post the information on this forum and maybe someone will see it. Good luck.

Brian

Steve sorry for your loss, put the word out on what ever forums you know of ie Les Paul forum, visited by a lot of gibson aficianados. also a pic to the local police. vintage guitar magazine is read by a lot of collectors and players and they will publish this info as well.

Shimmer, that is a beautiful 347, it has some of the best features, great asthetics, coil tap (i think), tp6, is good, traditionalist want the abr, but for function it is better, inlays, headstock, definitely a keeper, add to you collection don't trade it away unless you don't like the way it plays, but i wouldn't let it go.

peace

Best pic I could find of it...

DSC03102.JPG

MadeinUSA:

Nice 347!! And I know -- they made them afetr the 'offical' end date of 1988-89; I think I've seen some from as late as the mid-1990s.

I may be wrong on this, but from what I recall I think they made a lot of these with the blonde or the black finish, but perhaps a few less in sunburst. I believe I've seen a few in trans cherry too.

The neck on mine is great, very comfy and fast.

Fred

Steve-What a way to start the new year. Sorry man. Hope insurance paid ya what it was worth. I bought my 347 in 1980 but think it's a '79. S/N 70119009. Can anyone confirm this? Yea mine has brass nut. Had some problems with coil tap switch but otherwise it practically plays itself. I've heard and read it wasn't a big seller is probably why it's hard to find info on 'em. Love to add a tremlo to mine and sure that'll affect value but hell I'll probably die with it anyways. Beautiful guitars you guys posted!

zojo, i think adding a bigsby to the guitar would lessen its value, i am not an expert but different pups, that are easily replaced, even tone pots, and abr's all can easily be taken back to original, but a bigsby means drilling some holes and i wouldn't do it to that guitar. while not highly sought after, in time it will certainly hold its value and probably increase due to its scarcity. Bottom line it is yours and you can do as you please. But major mods that cause routing or drilling are considered exteme, maybe perfect for you but not a potential buyer.

peace

To all that responded to me about my stolen ES-347, thank you for the condolences and kind words. All your suggestions are helpful, at least I know I AM doing all I can to find it. I cruise all the local pawn shops, have filed the police and insurance report. I have not found my photographs I took of it (including serial number) but am still searching. It looks exactly like the one on this blog from Fred, blond, with the switch on the lower horn. Not all 347's have that switch. Still looking, kind of like a loss of a loved one!

• 4 weeks later...
Steve-What a way to start the new year. Sorry man. Hope insurance paid ya what it was worth. I bought my 347 in 1980 but think it's a '79. S/N 70119009. Can anyone confirm this? Yea mine has brass nut. Had some problems with coil tap switch but otherwise it practically plays itself. I've heard and read it wasn't a big seller is probably why it's hard to find info on 'em. Love to add a tremlo to mine and sure that'll affect value but hell I'll probably die with it anyways. Beautiful guitars you guys posted!

Yeah that' a 79. serial number code goes like this: ydddyfnn. y&y is year. ddd is day number of year. f is factory (0 for kalamazoo, 5 for nashville) and nn is guitar stamping number for that day. So yours was made 29th April 79 at Kalamazoo and was the ninth stamped that day. I own an 82 (Nashville) ES 347 and it's just the loveliest guitar I own.

• 1 month later...

Steve:

Ignatious is right - get the word out and maybe offer a reward. I feel really bad for you cause I would be freaking out if that happened to me. Also - most robberies are committed by people that are acquaintances (friend of a friend) so if you have any suspicians about someone make sure the police know. Post the information on this forum and maybe someone will see it. Good luck.

Brian

Hi zojo, this might be the answer for your tremolo desire without affecting the guitar:

Les Trem

• 9 months later...

Do you know what year the guitar was? What state do you live in?

I have to say, this is an interesting thread (apart from the sad story of the stolen 347). Back in 1982, I was shopping for a cool electric thin-archtop and had narrowed the choices down to a Gretsch Chet Atkins Country Gent and the Gibson ES-347. In the event, I found a CACG from 1963 for $425 with the original two-tone case, but ever afterward I regretted not buying a 347. A quarter of a century later, I have sold the Gretsch for $3100 and acquired a blonde 335 Dot, but, dammit, I'd still love to have a 347.

A few loose ends: the extra switch is a phase switch, and apparently 347s were available on special order into the early '90s. To my mine, it's one of the great unsung thinbodies, especially since it was the ONLY one available with a stop tailpiece for many years.

Thanks to all for posting the photos, and condolences to all for the horror stories. God bless 347s.

I had a ES-347 as of 3 days ago, my home was broken into and they took the guitar. It was a guitar that my buddy had before he died at an early age. I purchased it from his wife so I could have one of his instruments. Very sentimental. My ES-347 was exactly like the one posted, blond. But mine had a switch on the lower horn. Glad I have renter insurance and I am hoping to find one just like mine. It is hard to adjust to the loss of a guitar, ES-347's are beautiful guitars.

man, why do ppl feel the need to steal? im sure if that guy knew what he did he would feel like a jerk, just make an honest living like the rest of us. my dad told me when i was a kid most of the times ppl dont steal because they have to they do it cause its a thrill they could be stealing candy for all they care. thats really unfortunate man. im agreed with some posts before put posters up for it, have a reward. maybe some honest person will bring it back to you. i may not have read the feed carefully enough but check the local pawn shops.

• 4 weeks later...

A few loose ends: the extra switch is a phase switch' date=' and apparently 347s were available on special order into the early '90s. To my mine, it's one of the great unsung thinbodies, especially since it was the ONLY one available with a stop tailpiece for many years.

Thanks to all for posting the photos, and condolences to all for the horror stories. God bless 347s.[/quote']

I love my ES-347 and it sounds gr8!! But I gotta a little correction: the extra switch is a coil-tap, which shuts off one the humbucker coils in both pickups, when engaged. The pickups are 4-wire Series 7's, aka Dirty Fingers with gold covers. Mine was bought new in '93, but manufactured in 1990, in tobacco sunburst finish. They positioned the coil-tap near the pickup selector switch, in later models. See my avatar.