Gibson Guitar Board: Gibson ES 347 - The Red-Headed Stepchild of the Gibson Line? - Gibson Guitar Board

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Gibson ES 347 - The Red-Headed Stepchild of the Gibson Line?

#21 User is offline   Tux 

• Advanced Member
  • Group: Members

Posted 07 April 2008 - 07:53 AM

Hi zojo, this might be the answer for your tremolo desire without affecting the guitar:
Les Trem

Steve-What a way to start the new year. Sorry man. Hope insurance paid ya what it was worth. I bought my 347 in 1980 but think it's a '79. S/N 70119009. Can anyone confirm this? Yea mine has brass nut. Had some problems with coil tap switch but otherwise it practically plays itself. I've heard and read it wasn't a big seller is probably why it's hard to find info on 'em. Love to add a tremlo to mine and sure that'll affect value but hell I'll probably die with it anyways. Beautiful guitars you guys posted!

#22 User is offline   KCM 

Posted 27 January 2009 - 08:25 AM

[quote name='steve]I had a ES-347 as of 3 days ago' date=' my home was broken into and they took the guitar. It was a guitar that my buddy had before he died at an early age. I purchased it from his wife so I could have one of his instruments. Very sentimental. My ES-347 was exactly like the one posted, blond. But mine had a switch on the lower horn. Glad I have renter insurance and I am hoping to find one just like mine. It is hard to adjust to the loss of a guitar, ES-347's are beautiful guitars.[/quote']

Do you know what year the guitar was? What state do you live in?

#23 User is offline   lpdeluxe 

• Advanced Member

Posted 27 January 2009 - 01:41 PM

I have to say, this is an interesting thread (apart from the sad story of the stolen 347). Back in 1982, I was shopping for a cool electric thin-archtop and had narrowed the choices down to a Gretsch Chet Atkins Country Gent and the Gibson ES-347. In the event, I found a CACG from 1963 for $425 with the original two-tone case, but ever afterward I regretted not buying a 347. A quarter of a century later, I have sold the Gretsch for $3100 and acquired a blonde 335 Dot, but, dammit, I'd still love to have a 347.

A few loose ends: the extra switch is a phase switch, and apparently 347s were available on special order into the early '90s. To my mine, it's one of the great unsung thinbodies, especially since it was the ONLY one available with a stop tailpiece for many years.

Thanks to all for posting the photos, and condolences to all for the horror stories. God bless 347s.
"Digo: 'paciencia, y barajar.'" - Don Quijote de la Mancha, Part II, Chapter 23

#24 User is offline   guitarmann199 

• Advanced Member

Posted 01 February 2009 - 04:25 AM

I had a ES-347 as of 3 days ago, my home was broken into and they took the guitar. It was a guitar that my buddy had before he died at an early age. I purchased it from his wife so I could have one of his instruments. Very sentimental. My ES-347 was exactly like the one posted, blond. But mine had a switch on the lower horn. Glad I have renter insurance and I am hoping to find one just like mine. It is hard to adjust to the loss of a guitar, ES-347's are beautiful guitars.

man, why do ppl feel the need to steal? im sure if that guy knew what he did he would feel like a jerk, just make an honest living like the rest of us. my dad told me when i was a kid most of the times ppl dont steal because they have to they do it cause its a thrill they could be stealing candy for all they care. thats really unfortunate man. im agreed with some posts before put posters up for it, have a reward. maybe some honest person will bring it back to you. i may not have read the feed carefully enough but check the local pawn shops.
-these go to eleven!

#25 User is offline   qblue 

• Advanced Member

Posted 28 February 2009 - 03:55 PM

A few loose ends: the extra switch is a phase switch, and apparently 347s were available on special order into the early '90s. To my mine, it's one of the great unsung thinbodies, especially since it was the ONLY one available with a stop tailpiece for many years.

Thanks to all for posting the photos, and condolences to all for the horror stories. God bless 347s.

I love my ES-347 and it sounds gr8!! But I gotta a little correction: the extra switch is a coil-tap, which shuts off one the humbucker coils in both pickups, when engaged. The pickups are 4-wire Series 7's, aka Dirty Fingers with gold covers. Mine was bought new in '93, but manufactured in 1990, in tobacco sunburst finish. They positioned the coil-tap near the pickup selector switch, in later models. See my avatar.
1970 Fender Stratocaster

1980 Gibson LS-6

1990 Gibson ES-347

1990 Fender Strat Ultra

2007 Fender Baja Telecaster

2012 Les Paul Studio '60s Tribute

1986 Yamaha SBG2100

#26 User is offline   kaicho8888 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationCity of Rock'n Roll San Francisco

Posted 02 March 2009 - 01:48 PM

qblue, if you nave any audio with the different settings... please post. Inquiring ears want to know.
Old Rockers never die; we just fade away! 会長

#27 User is offline   qblue 

• Advanced Member

Posted 13 March 2009 - 02:22 AM

Sorry I have no audio; but I have some pics:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The serial # is 90510625, suggesting 1990 as the production year. No metal nut or pickup selector on one of the upper bouts of the guitar, as on earlier models. I once thought to change the pickups to '57 PAF's, but those pickups are 2-wire leads and would disable the coil-tap. A coil tap needs a 4 wire lead from the pu. I like the dirty fingers pu because it is not a ceramic type, but rivals the original 57 PAF's with more windings. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I love the sound driven or tuned to a jazzbox sound; it's a versatile guitar. Though similar to a BB King model (sans Varitone) in hardware, I think the dirty fingers sound better than the 490(?) pickups. I even like the TP-6 tailpiece, as it is a functional part in fine tuning the guitar.
1970 Fender Stratocaster

1980 Gibson LS-6

1990 Gibson ES-347

1990 Fender Strat Ultra

1986 Yamaha SBG2100

#28 User is offline   lpdeluxe 

• Advanced Member

Posted 13 March 2009 - 04:03 AM

gblue. thanks for the correction. Once a mistake gets onto the internet, it becomes a new "factoid."

That's a beauty, also. I've been playing my 335 for the last couple of days (gig coming up Saturday) and once again I realize the semi-acoustic shape is the one I love. I got out my SG to try on one song, and -- although it's lighter, and has incredible upper-fret access -- the 335 is the one I love.

#29 User is offline   Tux 

• Advanced Member

Posted 13 March 2009 - 04:35 AM

Sorry I have no audio; but I have some pics:

The serial # is 90510625, suggesting 1990 as the production year. No metal nut or pickup selector on one of the upper bouts of the guitar, as on earlier models. I once thought to change the pickups to '57 PAF's, but those pickups are 2-wire leads and would disable the coil-tap. A coil tap needs a 4 wire lead from the pu. I like the dirty fingers pu because it is not a ceramic type, but rivals the original 57 PAF's with more windings. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I love the sound driven or tuned to a jazzbox sound; it's a versatile guitar. Though similar to a BB King model (sans Varitone) in hardware, I think the dirty fingers sound better than the 490(?) pickups. I even like the TP-6 tailpiece, as it is a functional part in fine tuning the guitar.

The Dirty Fingers are ceramic, as far as I know (Sweetwater)

And you actually need only 3 wires. That's what I ordered from Lindy Fralin and it worked just fine.

#30 User is offline   qblue 

• Advanced Member

Posted 13 March 2009 - 03:22 PM

Tux you are right. The Dirty Fingers are Ceramic pickups. The current Dirty fingers pu's don't have covers, and are known as Series 7's on the ES-347. But it is still called a historic humbucker according to Gibson:

http://www.gibson.co...ickup_Guide.pdf
1970 Fender Stratocaster

1980 Gibson LS-6

1990 Gibson ES-347

1990 Fender Strat Ultra

1986 Yamaha SBG2100

#31 User is offline   Tux 

• Advanced Member

Posted 03 June 2009 - 07:54 AM

Posted Image

#32 User is offline   StevieB 

Posted 27 November 2009 - 04:47 AM

I believe these were "officially" in production from 1978 through 1988, but I know that I have seen a few '89s and even ones from the early 1990s, the latter probably made on a custom basis.

I bought my blonde ES347 new in 1974 from Modern Music in Ft Lauderdale. Great guitar!

#33 User is offline   Andre S 

• Bonamassa Addict
  • LocationCaribbean

Posted 27 November 2009 - 03:14 PM

how can shrimer have a guest of rank of guest and -3 posts?

"The day when you pick up a guitar and there's nothing coming through whatsoever, there's no new pieces, there's no new ideas - and that's the sort of gift any creative person has - there's always that point that that might happen to you, when you're too old to pick the guitar up - and we're just trying to keep that day far, far away and out of sight."

- James Patrick Page

- 2008 Gibson Les Paul Studio
- 2009 Martin OM-1
- 2011 'Skylark' Les Paul Replica
-------------------------
- Jet City 20H
- Phaez Sibly
- Fender Champion 600
- Fender Super Champ XD

#34 User is offline   qblue 

• Advanced Member

Posted 07 December 2009 - 03:21 PM

Yeah, the TP6 is on Lucille, BB King's lady friend. And it is on the Epiphone version, too
1970 Fender Stratocaster

1980 Gibson LS-6

1990 Gibson ES-347

1990 Fender Strat Ultra

1986 Yamaha SBG2100

#35 User is offline   hilldwellers 

Posted 14 December 2009 - 05:37 PM

[quote name='steve]I had a ES-347 as of 3 days ago' date=' my home was broken into and they took the guitar. It was a guitar that my buddy had before he died at an early age. I purchased it from his wife so I could have one of his instruments. Very sentimental. My ES-347 was exactly like the one posted, blond. But mine had a switch on the lower horn. Glad I have renter insurance and I am hoping to find one just like mine. It is hard to adjust to the loss of a guitar, ES-347's are beautiful guitars.[/quote']

[angry] [biggrin] [crying]

That is a very sad thing to happen , I realize that your post was awhile ago but I read through the posts and
Vintage Guitar
http://www.vintageguitar.com (free registration for online use) they publish in a early section of the magazine of stolen gear and any info available (serial number, make, model, any modifications, etc and if a police report is on file give them that info (what Police Dept to contact and phone number and anyone in particular that is a contact there and you can include your name and phone as well (I would under "about us" in the upper left hand corner contact Ward Meeker (editor) a e-mail link will pop up
he will get the info in the Vintage Guitar print version and subscribers can put a free 50 word ad in the back referancing stolen gear as well. I wish you the best in finding the guitar and ? put no ? asked upon return may help or reward offered. depends

The band The Pixies had a trailer of gear stolen and so did Iggy Popp and Vintage Guitar published all the info they provided
Peter Buck of R.E.M. had his Rickenbacker grabbed off the stage in ? Denmark or Norway and it was returned after ads were posted no questions asked upon return, guess it was the Rick he had used forr most of R.E.M.'s recordings and tours (it was black) Suprises do happen, I insure my gear against theft and breakage (after providing receipts , serial numbers etc
under a personal articles Policy with State Farm, no deductable either and reemarkably inexpenive (I have about $5,000 worth of gear insured for about $55.00 annually. I insure what I feel is most valuable and not everything.

My gear never leaves the house either which makes the policy easier to obtain, pro use is difficult

This is a new screen name I could not log in, requested password resend never got it after 5 attemps so re registered

Peace and Hope

TheHilldwellers

[blush]

Peace,Hope and No More Wars (please)

TheHlldwellers

#36 User is offline   DynoByte 

Posted 26 December 2009 - 06:14 AM

Just got a '78 347 with brass nut, #105. The tone is unreal. Beautiful ES's in this thread btw.

Posted Image

#37 User is offline   lpdeluxe 

• Advanced Member

Posted 26 December 2009 - 01:33 PM

That's gorgeous.

#38 User is offline   artmaker 

• Advanced Member

Posted 27 December 2009 - 01:44 AM

I'm glad they are the red-headed stepchild. I have three - a '79, an '87 and a '91 and they are fantastic. Not being as popular, I aquired them at a great price.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#39 User is offline   dROK83 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 29 December 2009 - 08:46 AM

Posted Image
This is a 1982 Gibson ES-347, I was told it was a Custom Shop guitar, but didn't get any paperwork with it. Bought it about 9 years ago. Looks similar to artmaker's last pic. Would appreciate any info that can be given. Can't seem to find any info about this guitar in this color.

It's a little dirty in this pic, i'll post a better one when i have a chance.
1989 Gibson ES-347
2006 Gibson Les Paul Studio (Heavily Modified)
1996 MIA Fender Lonestar Stratocaster (Modified)

#40 User is offline   artmaker 

• Advanced Member

Posted 31 December 2009 - 01:03 AM

Hey dROK83,
I got this about 4 years ago from Buzzy Levine at Larkstreet Music who I know is a reputable dealer. I was curious about the sunburst finish that I had never seen before on a 347 but couldn't get much info. He said he hadn't seen too many but that the finish was original. The guitar is in pristine condition so I count myself fortunate to get a rare example of such a fine instrument. It is fantastic for blues and jazz especially run through my '65 Fender Showman 15.
Posted Image

Share this topic:

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users