Gibson Brands Forums

BFG

Tim Plains

Personally I don't like the look of the BFG. The guitar just looks like it was put together from the spare parts bin and snuck out the door. I do like the P-90 / Humbucker combo, and I played a Studio that had that pickup set. Tone wise it was great and could find a niche, but I can't remember what version of Studio it was. As much as I liked the tone of the pickup combo, the BFG appearance wise......just doesn't do anything for me.

Personally I don't like the look of the BFG. The guitar just looks like it was put together from the spare parts bin and snuck out the door. I do like the P-90 / Humbucker combo' date=' and I played a Studio that had that pickup set. Tone wise it was great and could find a niche, but I can't remember what version of Studio it was. As much as I liked the tone of the pickup combo, the BFG appearance wise......just doesn't do anything for me.[/quote']

Hey at least you're nice about it!! hehe. I actually saw it and had to have one, so I guess I LIKE the look of them. I also mod nearly everything I own, so that made me think of the BFG as well. It's a perfect platform for a player that wants to refinish, drill, sand, bump, gig... whatever.

Looks like Gibson is bringing out more BFG offerings this year too, so it MUST be selling.

Hey Gibson! How many BFG's have been made thus far?

I think the Studio you're talking about is a guitar of the week, 400 made. A black LP Studio with BFG electronics. I almost bought that one, but it felt similar to my Standard. That's one of the things I really like about this BFG, it is a LP but doesn't feel like it.

It looks absurd. Everyone keeps refering me to the pics on the gibson site but when I actully saw one up close it was AWFUL.

The pickup combo is genius and sould have been done a long time ago. A humbucker for classic gibson tone, but a P-90 in the neck to make use of a switch postion that is often too muddy.

I would have thought Gibson was more consistant; granted it is the first year run for the BFG.

Mine wasn't rough on the sides... the neck was smooth with no edges. The top was even smooth...

I'm sure they are getting better.... they are certainly listening to us as mine came with a truss cover, switch knob and so on.....

i have a vintage mahogany and would like to eventually try a humbucker-sized p-90 neck pup. i'm not sure if i'll still want to by the time i have the spare $ because i like the bbpros so much.

i'm somewhat of a traditionalist and i like the look of vintage instruments but i think the bfg is very unique in it's own way and due to the pickups configuration i might want one in the future if i have a lot of extra cash. but it's not real high up on the list.

My loving wife bought me a BFG in Black for Xmas. I've been wanting a Gibson for a long time. The sounds this thing can produce is great. Once I dialed in the action, it played like a dream. I put the truss rod cover on and am still trying to find the right knobs for this thing.....not liking the wood knobs. I always end up modifying my guitars and after seeing Oysters project I can't help but wonder if I should do the same. I think I need to enjoy it more before I start finishing it. To get back on track, it's a great guitar for the money. It's a great guitar period. I'm very picky and it has not disappointed. The finish is sooooooo cool. Looks BETTER than the pics. PURE ROCK!!!!

does any one know what the BFG stands for... buckethead freakin guitar... due to the kill switch..or bad freaking gibson. Does anyone really know... I like mine,, the kill switch would be better if they used the electronic ones like buckethead.

and moved it to the three way toggle location but

its still rocks hard though. Cheap price for a classic sound and tone.

:)/

Like I said in another thread, the BFG actually just hit me as the perfect instrument for me. I don't really have any cash to spare (nor will I anytime soon), but the cheapness + a kickass pickup combo would make it the perfect entry into the Gibson line for me.

Archived