Gibson Brands Forums

What would be your next Gibson ?

EuroAussie

If say you just a won a mini lottery, paid all the bills, expenses and had a bit of cash lying around for 'fun' things.

And say you wanted this 'fun' money to be spent on another Gibson acoustic - which one would it be, and why ?

For me its pretty clear, it would most likely be a vintage, sunburst J-200. (love the burst)

If I look at my collection I think its pretty rounded, enough hog, enough rosewood, enough dreads, smaller shape also covered through the OM. No maple, no jumbo, so that would be the quest ....specifically something like this one.

What about you, what would be your next purchase if funds were not an issue ?

(ps: appologies if i asked this question before, i may well have but i really dont remember)

Yes, I remember seeing this clip sometime back and thougth, yeah, he's gone a nice tone coming out of it, was hoping he would play a few coboy chords to see how it rings out, but i guess that wouod spoil the song ..

btw: are you sure its vintage, looks quite new, the tuners are still very white.

also, im definitely leanign towards vintage if i get another gibson, im starting to learn a few Stones tracks and it just blows me away how great the CW sounds for this material. There is something about that woody, worn in vintage Gibson rumble.

It has to be a vintage SJ Round shoulder....Like this beauty (Nice song BTW!!)

http://vimeo.com/13599124

[thumbup]

Yes, I remember seeing this clip sometime back and thougth, yeah, he's gone a nice tone coming out of it, was hoping he would play a few coboy chords to see how it rings out, but i guess that wouod spoil the song ..

btw: are you sure its vintage, looks quite new, the tuners are still very white.

also, im definitely leanign towards vintage if i get another gibson, im starting to learn a few Stones tracks and it just blows me away how great the CW sounds for this material. There is something about that woody, worn in vintage Gibson rumble.

Definately Vintage, I'd say 50's. Watch it in full screen on Vimeo....

Hey EA? How do you post a direct link to a video mate? I'm sure its been posted how to do this a million times but I couldn't find it on the search feature...

If you youtube you simply copy the youtube web link and paste it here, thats all.

Hey EA? How do you post a direct link to a video mate? I'm sure its been posted how to do this a million times but I couldn't find it on the search feature...

If you youtube you simply copy the youtube web link and paste it here, thats all.

Thanks mate.....Don't think it will work on Vimeo. I'll try and find the video on YouTube...

[thumbup]

btw: yes, its definitely vintage, the headstock is pretty scratched up. Also, i was jus wondering since you have the vintage J-50 and a J-45, why another guitar from a similar 'camp' ? Not knocking in any way, just wondering ?

btw: yes, its definitely vintage, the headstock is pretty scratched up. Also, i was jus wondering since you have the vintage J-50 and a J-45, why another guitar from a similar 'camp' ? Not knocking in any way, just wondering ?

Good question EA,...well the CW is square shoulder as you know so a slight difference, however, generally speaking you are 100% spot on!! Why? I just love these vintage Gibson Round Shoulders models. The smell, the look, the mojo, the tone and that "thump"! I've never really been interested in Martins etc. To me the Gibson just have it all...I know I have a few and they do all sound quite similar, but, hey this is just my thing!!!!

Post Script - well I take that back, the only Martin I'm actually "Jonesing" for is a vintage 000-17 or 000-18 w/ Hog top. Just a beautiful small bodied guitar....

[biggrin]

I'm with you EA. It would definetly be an SJ-200 Vintage Sunburst. Might settle for an SJ-300! I can only imagine the raw power that an SJ-200 with rosewood b/s would have!!! (which is primarily all a SJ-300 is) When you think of Gibson acoustics, it's the first guitar that comes to my mind!

What would be your next Gibson ?

That's a question I've been working on for some time now. I'm looking for something different than maple as currently I've got a maple J200 that fills that niche very nicely. Still looking, I'm leaning toward hog, but haven't settle on anything yet.

I think I'm on "guitar buying restriction" 'til I sell a couple of the ones I have....wife is complaining that everywhere she looks is an instrument of some kind......

Doesn't everyone have 11 guitars, keyboard, banjo, violin, 2 pianos, & 4 amps?

I think I'm on "guitar buying restriction" 'til I sell a couple of the ones I have....wife is complaining that everywhere she looks is an instrument of some kind......

HA!

I know what you mean.

HA!

I know what you mean.

I KNOW you do!

My house is kind of big and the wife STILL complains that she can't get away from all the instruments. However, she does enjoy it when I play, so I guess she has to take the good with the bad, eh?

Possibly one of the new Gibson LG1 TV's or a Gibson L00 TV, then an old LG1 and a old LG2.

or possibly a Woody Guthrie after that...

Here is a pic of a beaten down LG1 that the Gibson board won't let me load:

http://s3.amazonaws.com/data.tumblr.com/tumblr_lcs56nTm3u1qaqr3zo1_1280.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAJ6IHWSU3BX3X7X3Q&Expires=1307402169&Signature=NtO18F5g4tfznkG3JjPEm0EZZt8%3D

BluesKing777.

Well, i bought two gibsons in the past two months so I assume I won't take another for a while, but if I could I'd love to custom order a '63 southern jumbo with madagascar fingerboard, bridge, back and sides and an adi top.

... if I could I'd love to custom order a '63 southern jumbo with madagascar fingerboard, bridge, back and sides and an adi top.

You can't -- they're not allowed to use Madagascar rosewood any more. Assuming the rules are the same as for Brazilian, you can't even supply your own wood and have them build with it.

-- Bob R

You can't -- they're not allowed to use Madagascar rosewood any more. Assuming the rules are the same as for Brazilian, you can't even supply your own wood and have them build with it.

-- Bob R

AFAIK the trade of madagascar rosewood is still legal, there are no barriers on export like for brazilian...

Tough one - depends on the definition of expendable cash. I figure a mid-to late-1930s maple body Smeck would be awful nice.

Never heard of a maple bodied 30s Smeck before, only the hog and the BRW- your either in for a lot of digging around or a trip to the custom shop for that number. Of course, I could be wrong.

I'd be on for a nice vintage Nick Lucas, pin bridge version, maybe a 13 fret model just for the bragging rights.

No Bass?

Archived