Gibson Brands Forums

That dreaded "tink"

Tim Plains

I'm sure this has been covered numerously, but I'm new to the forum.

So, you're tuning the G string, it's almost in tune...and then 'TINK' it's way sharp. Is powered graphite the best solution to this? It's what I've been doing, it's even on Gibson's website. Just wondering what other people do.

Thanks, Tim

First, it sounds like your nut may be cut a little too small for the string guage and it is binding in the slot. This is the most common cause of all tuning problems, and that's not a do-it-yourself fix-it for most people.

The nut lube is a good idea, and I've found that a very effective and inexpensive product to use for this is a white grease pencil. Available at any office supply of school supply store for about a quarter. One will last you a lifetime.

Just work it into the nut slots like you were coloring with a crayon. The waxy consistancy of the grease pencil will stay in place much longer than any liquid or powder product.

First' date=' it sounds like your nut may be cut a little too small for the string guage and it is binding in the slot. This is the most common cause of all tuning problems, and that's not a do-it-yourself fix-it for most people.

The nut lube is a good idea, and I've found that a very effective and inexpensive product to use for this is a white grease pencil. Available at any office supply of school supply store for about a quarter. One will last you a lifetime.

Just work it into the nut slots like you were coloring with a crayon. The waxy consistancy of the grease pencil will stay in place much longer than any liquid or powder product.[/quote']

That, L5Larry, is a fantastic piece of advice. I am going to get one of those white grease pencils ASAP for future reference.

Ignatius

Pencil lead, the grease pencil, having the nut slot touched up a bit, or buying a lubricant like Nutsauce are all good ways to help correct it. For those who weren't sure, what he is speaking about, is when you are tuning the strings, you get a slight 'ping' sound now and then. It is the string catching (binding) in the nut, then suddenly slipping free. The D and G strings are near the center of the nut, and to re'ach their tuners, they have the sharpest angles from the nut to tuner, so they often bind the most.

Hi, it used to happen to me in all my guitars... it was very frustrating... you are tunning and you have all the strings in perfects tune, but the g string keeps going sharp... you tune it... you are almost there, and then TINK! it goes sharp...

Very frustrating! Until I instaled TP-6 in all my stop tail guitars, that solved the problem and also made it insanely easy to tune the guitar perfectly.

I strongly advice any stop tail guitar user to install these in their guitar, it also increases sustain... at 60 bucks each, i don´t know why manufacturers dont include it in standard models, or at least offer it as an option...

Here's one installed in my Les Paul Standard Faded Honey burst... and another one: epiphone special modded

guitarras2-1.jpg

A TP 6 will not fix tuning problems if the problem is the way the nut slots are cut. It will not really improve much of anything, sustain included. The problems that went away when you switched to the TP 6 were probably burrs on the bridge saddles of your old bridge. A lot of people rest their hands on the tailpiece and bridge areas and in doing so will detune the strings with a TP 6. They can be cool looking, and they do allow for some fine tuning, but that is about all.

My '57 RI Les Paul Custom has the same issue.

What irks me is that I have about a dozen guitars and this does NOT happen on any of them. Even my ES-135 or my Les Paul Junior Lite.

If you have a properly cut nut-slot it should be no problem. They sell EXPENSIVE file sets for exact string gauges.

I hate using lube as it can get messy, make the nut dirty (dirt accumulates on the goo), cause strings to oxidize, and just be a pain... plus, it is unecessary on all of my other guitars.

I suspect the G string's tuner peg location makes it the most common trouble string. They angle of break down over the nut on it's way to the tuning post, the straight 90 degree cuts into the nut, the angle of break diagonally towards the tuner, etc.

Hi' date=' it used to happen to me in all my guitars... it was very frustrating... you are tunning and you have all the strings in perfects tune, but the g string keeps going sharp... you tune it... you are almost there, and then TINK! it goes sharp...

Very frustrating! Until I instaled TP-6 in all my stop tail guitars, that solved the problem and also made it insanely easy to tune the guitar perfectly.

I strongly advice any stop tail guitar user to install these in their guitar, it also increases sustain... at 60 bucks each, i don´t know why manufacturers dont include it in standard models, or at least offer it as an option...

Here's one installed in my Les Paul Standard Faded Honey burst... and another one: epiphone special modded

[img']http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj236/thundergod_5/guitarras2-1.jpg[/img]

I was wondering what these were for. Imma go pick one up tomorrow. I haven't tuned my Gibson a lot since i got it, but i did tonight and either the tuners are shitty, or the guitar is not well intonated. Anyways, that bridge sounds pretty good. It'll be a breeze to tune to perfect pitch!

Archived