• +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Gibson VS Epiphone

#1 User is offline   Prich ES 335 

• Group: Members
  • LocationTX

Posted 09 June 2011 - 12:06 AM

Just curious but besides price what is the major differences between a Gibson Les Paul and an Epiphone? Are they made in different places, different materials? Please excuse my ignorance, but could someone make me smart on this?

Thanks

Greg

#2 User is offline   Supersonic 

• Cynical Optimist
  • LocationThe Middle of Nowhere

Posted 09 June 2011 - 12:09 AM

View PostPrich ES 335, on 09 June 2011 - 12:06 AM, said:

Just curious but besides price what is the major differences between a Gibson Les Paul and an Epiphone? Are they made in different places, different materials? Please excuse my ignorance, but could someone make me smart on this?

Thanks

Greg

You should get TONS of responses on this one. I'll start by saying that, yes, they are made in different places. Generally speaking, Epi LP's are made in China these days and Gibby LP's are made in the USA.
My Epiphone Guitars
Les Paul Standard
G400 Deluxe w/ Maestro Tremolo
P93 Riviera
Early 1970's 6830 acoustic

Other Stuff
Dean Playmate Acoustic/Electric Bass
Ovation Celebrity Acoustic/Electric
Madiera A-2 Acoustic
Trinity River squareneck Dobro
A-Style Mandolin
Various pedals, devices, and other sonic implements of destruction

Amps
Vintage 1974 Fender Deluxe Reverb "Silverface"
Vintage 1965 Silvertone 1482 15 watt combo
Roland Cube 30
Vox AC4-C1-BRG

#3 User is offline   Supersonic 

• Cynical Optimist
  • LocationThe Middle of Nowhere

Posted 09 June 2011 - 12:23 AM

Pete, you sure do hate that horse! Bad horsey!
My Epiphone Guitars
Les Paul Standard
G400 Deluxe w/ Maestro Tremolo
P93 Riviera
Early 1970's 6830 acoustic

Other Stuff
Dean Playmate Acoustic/Electric Bass
Ovation Celebrity Acoustic/Electric
Madiera A-2 Acoustic
Trinity River squareneck Dobro
A-Style Mandolin
Various pedals, devices, and other sonic implements of destruction

Amps
Vintage 1974 Fender Deluxe Reverb "Silverface"
Vintage 1965 Silvertone 1482 15 watt combo
Roland Cube 30
Vox AC4-C1-BRG

#4 User is offline   ReneBoedker 

• Advanced Member

Posted 09 June 2011 - 12:32 AM

Yes, as Supersonic has already said, Epiphones are made in Asia, whereas the Gibsons are made in the USA. Furthermore, the Gibson-guitars have better (of course, this is just the general conception) electronics than their Asian brethren. Concerning the materials, I think that Epiphones are made from so-called industrial mahogany, but I am not sure about that.

However, do not think that Epiphones are bad guitars.
'09 Epiphone Ltd. Edition 1966 G-400 (Natural Burst)
'09 Yamaha GL-1 Guitarlele
Marshall Haze 40
Marshall MG15CD

#5 User is offline   bigneil 

• British Watts are Louder !
  • LocationScotland

Posted 09 June 2011 - 12:44 AM

This is a topic really has been done to death!

but Yes, they are made in different parts of the world, and yes they are made of different materials, and yes they have different electrics. But essentially the Epi's are built to the same design and measurements as the Gibbys, they are liscenced copies.

Most Epi's are built in Asia (mostly China at the moment), From a material known as "Eastern Mahogany" which could one of several species of wood which are tonally similar to real Honduras Mahogany but are non-Related.

Gibbys are USA Built from Real Mahogany Usually to a very High standard with good quality Electrics...Hence the price tag.

The Epi LPs are excellent value for money and many of the special editions or limited runs are built to as good a standard as their USA cousins....in fact, some would be prepared to say they are better than the cheep end Gibbys.

Google is your friend...go do some research.
Posted Image

Posted Image

All sparks will burn out in the end.

The Unoficial epiphone Wiki

#6 User is offline   RaSTuS 

• Occasional Head Banger !!!
  • LocationMackay, Australia.

Posted 09 June 2011 - 01:08 AM

Really should make one of these Gibby/Epi threads sticky in the Electrics section.
Only the mediocre are always at their best.

GUITARS: ........... 60 odd lumps of Wood, Aluminium and Plastic with many and varied electric bits attached.
PEDALS: ............
Dunlop Cry Baby Wah, Crowther Double Hotcake, Digitech Bad Monkey Tube Overdrive, Korg Pitch Black Tuner.
AMPS & CABS: .
Egnater Tweaker Head (15w), Roland CM-30 (30w), Line 6 Spider II (30w), Peavey TKO 115 (80W), Marshall MF Head (350w) Line 6 Quad Box (320w).

Some of my collection
A man of many faces !!!
Posted Image

#7 User is offline   RaSTuS 

Posted 09 June 2011 - 01:37 AM

View PostPete.R, on 09 June 2011 - 01:24 AM, said:

Who actually reads stickies...... [lol]

Not many, but it would be easier to point them to that then have to explain it each time, same as we point to the DIY thread now.

GUITARS: ........... 60 odd lumps of Wood, Aluminium and Plastic with many and varied electric bits attached.
Dunlop Cry Baby Wah, Crowther Double Hotcake, Digitech Bad Monkey Tube Overdrive, Korg Pitch Black Tuner.
Egnater Tweaker Head (15w), Roland CM-30 (30w), Line 6 Spider II (30w), Peavey TKO 115 (80W), Marshall MF Head (350w) Line 6 Quad Box (320w).

Some of my collection
A man of many faces !!!
Posted Image

#8 User is offline   vomer 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationSomerset, UK.

Posted 09 June 2011 - 05:30 AM

Rene & bigneil mentioned better electrics on Gibsons, I would add that that includes pickups, and in my not so humble opinion Gibson pickups are much better than Epiphone's.

Gibsons tend to be finished in Nitrocellulose Laquer which many players prefer for its look and ability to wear and age unlike Epiphone's mostly poly finishes which will be as shiny in 50 years as they are new.

However, Epiphone have mastered the technology behind their non-sticky sticky 'e' logo which is guaranteed to fall off, often even before the guitar reaches you. Gibson have nothing to match this [biggrin].

Edit to add an apostrophe. Hmm.
"Aunt Florrie's credenda, all musicians are nice people..."

Posted Image

Epi gear:

1973 EA250.
2004 Sheraton II with SD Phat Cat, and TV Jones Classic waiting to go in.
PR-200 acoustic.
Valve Junior with mods by Alnicomagnet, Power Scaling, and Celestion Eight 15.

#9 User is offline   RaSTuS 

Posted 09 June 2011 - 05:33 AM

View Postvomer, on 09 June 2011 - 05:30 AM, said:

However, Epiphone have mastered the technology behind their non-sticky sticky 'e' logo which is guaranteed to fall off, often even before the guitar reaches you. Gibson have nothing to match this [biggrin].

ROFLMAO.

Some of my collection
A man of many faces !!!
Posted Image

#10 User is offline   charlie brown 

• Advanced Member

Posted 09 June 2011 - 09:47 AM

View Postvomer, on 09 June 2011 - 05:30 AM, said:

Edit to add an apostrophe. Hmm.

Yes, BUT...that is only to allow you, to "Mod" YOUR Epiphone, to your standards (personalizing it, as it were)
by removing, or placing the "E" wherever you choose. Factory placement, is only a "starting point!" [flapper] [biggrin]

CB

#11 User is offline   charlie brown 

• Advanced Member

Posted 09 June 2011 - 10:05 AM

Also, Epi's are, or have been made, all over the Far East. China, Korea, Indonesia, Japan.
The Japanese "Elitist" and "Epiphone Japan" versions, are widely acknowledged, to be some of
the best Epi's made. China is catching up, with their now "dedicated factories," American
management, and fine Chinese Luthiers. A lot of the instruments coming from there, are not
only good, but exceptional. The Korean made instruments, were fine examples, as well...though
in some cases, they were actually "Samick" guitars/spec's, with Epiphone headstocks. When Gibson,
Epi...went to China, they built those dedicated factories, for the sole purpose of making ONLY Epiphone
guitars, to Epiphone spec's, which are much closer, to the old Gibson owned Epiphones, than before.
The Korean versions, are fine guitars, for the most part. But, aesthetically, not always that
accurate, especially in body outline spec. So, the newer ones, are a lot closer, to "right on,"
to Gibson spec's, since that's all they build, there. Also, regarding metal parts, and electronics...
there's been a noticable increase in quality, of both! Some versions, even have the American electronics.
So, IMHO....today's Epiphones, are as good, if not better, than they've ever been...all things considered.
Certainly, worth more (again, IMHO), that their often modest prices.

Gibson's, are...well, Gibson's! Great stuff, Made in USA only, and...considerably higher, in price, for
all the "bells and whistles." Pretty hard to go wrong, with a Gibson. BUT...Epi's are excellent, and
licensed alternatives, for amazing value!

(Note: The previous is all just MY opinion...other's may agree, or disagree.) ;>)

CB

#12 User is offline   damian 

• The Guitar Whisperer
  • LocationIn The Misty Mountains With My Black Dog

Posted 09 June 2011 - 10:48 AM

The biggest difference between a Gibby LP and an Epi LP are the opinions.....
I use Atlas Stands because they are the best................. http://www.facebook.com/atlasstands ......American Made.......Rewind Pickups; MIA and the Best.......
.....................Codtone Pedals from OZ......................................." Ya'll remove hats, please "...................................Motor City Pickups......................................
.................................." I hate it when people compare god with jimmy page, I mean, he's good and all, but he's no jimmy page."..................................
Music Consultant, Songwriter........................................ - THE MENSA PRETZEL LOGIC PROJECT - .............................. Advocate for the Disabled, Gentle Hellraiser.

" It occured to me by intuition, and music was the driving force behind that intuition. My discovery was the result of musical perception." Einstein on his theory of relativity.
" Music is a higher relevation than all wisdom and philosophy. Music is the electrical soil in which the spirit lives, thinks and invents." Ludwig von Beethoven
" There's nothing remarkable about it. All one has to do is hit the right keys at the right time and the instrument plays itself.' Johann Sebastian Bach
" Playing scales is like a boxer skipping rope or a punching bag. It's not the thing itself; it's preparatory to the activity." Barney Kessel
" After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." Aldous Hoxley
" There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have crossed this line." Pianist Oscar Lavant
" Music came before language; musical grunts became words." Damian (copyright)
" I know how to get there, all I've got to do is keep playing." Jimmy Page
" Without music, life would be a mistake." Friedrich Nietzsche
" Music is an outburst of the soul." Fredrick Deluis
" Rock and Roll forever, man." Unknown
" Damian's cool." NeoConMan
" WTF ??? " dem00n
Posted Image

#13 User is offline   RaSTuS 

Posted 09 June 2011 - 11:09 AM

View Postdamian, on 09 June 2011 - 10:48 AM, said:

The biggest difference between a Gibby LP and an Epi LP are the opinions.....

+1

Well said Damian.

BTW: I always thought your cat was playing a violin, just realised he's got a machine gun, LOL.

Some of my collection
A man of many faces !!!
Posted Image

#14 User is offline   milod 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationCenter of the USA

Posted 09 June 2011 - 03:31 PM

CB...

I think you pretty much got it.

For someone who likes the Gibson "style" in general, the Epis are to me incredible values that too often get ignored. I know I ignored 'em for years. The stuff I've seen out of China the last cupla years has generally been far better than most guitars available when I was a kid.

One caveat especially for Epis, and to an extent Gibbies, especially those sold overseas, to me is that guitars have to travel, and depending on weather and transport conditions, may suffer more than a bit of slings and arrows of outrageous fortune. That means they may be functionally unplayable.

I almost bought a gorgeous-looking Epi Humingbird at first sight last fall - but the neck had bowed and the store hadn't done any setup and almost acted as though I were a jerk for mentioning it. The same can happen with a Gibson, although it's my observation it seems more likely in the US for that to happen to the Epis, that they'll be put on display without any attempt to check playability.

The Gibson also is a more handcrafted instrument with, one certainly hopes if nothing else, better quality of tonewoods. HenryJ himself noted that because of the handwork finishing the neck that there will be subtle variations even on the "same" neck shape that make each guitar an individual, and that if possible, folks just might wanna try several of the "same" instruments for feel.

I tend to look at the Epi as an exceptional value at various price points from roughly $100 US up, but as far as I know, under $2,000 - especially for those who tend to prefer "Gibson" type guitars but don't have the cash, nor care for the risk of damage, of a Gibson.

I even get angry when I hear people suggesting some other brands at similar price points and concepts while pointedly ignoring the Epi.

The Gibsons I see more as an instrument one buys for ego if one can afford it, or as a fine professional instrument that fits pro hands and will increase in value - and I do not mean dollars, although that, too - over the years. A friend has a 1950s Gibson electric flattop with a Florentine cutaway I'm sure nobody could offer him enough cash to purchase - but it almost certainly sounds even better than when new, either electric or straight acoustic.

That's obviously an oversimplification. There are more than a few well-known "artists" who play a Gibson with rudimentary technique and because of their general musical talent, it sounds wonderful - and they certainly aren't using one just for ego regardless that they're guitar players rather than guitarists.

m

#15 User is offline   Gary Moore Tribute 

• "The K-ON! Guitarist"
  • LocationUK

Posted 09 June 2011 - 03:49 PM

But which is better?

Theirs only one way to find out...

FIGHT!!!!

[flapper]

But serously the only one that matters between the 2 is ELECTRICS, get the good stuff in an Epi and it CAN BEAT a Gibson.

However quality wise a Gibson is always gonna feel better in your hands than an epi, its really up to you what you prefer...
The Gary Moore & Joe Bonamassa Blues Player
Posted Image
Gibson Les Paul Standard 08 DB Joe Bonamassa (Signed)
Chapman Guitars ML-1 #21 Crunchie ASB
Fender Mustang 69 MH CAR | Jazz Bass 50th Anniversary 62 3TB (Japan)

#16 User is offline   milod 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationCenter of the USA

Posted 09 June 2011 - 03:58 PM

I dunno...

There's something about this guitar or that, assuming even rudimentary quality, that makes it yours...

I think it's more likely with a Gibson if you've a choice of several of the type you're interested in... and can afford it. But if you get the right Epi at the right time... You may find yourself unwilling to swap that $400-1500 chunk of wood for the equivalent Gibson valued in dollars four times the price. It ain't money at some point, I think.

m

#17 User is offline   Whitmore Willy 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 09 June 2011 - 04:14 PM

Hey Prich,

I see you're from Texas.

Are you related to Animalfarm?

Willy

#18 User is offline   Bookkeeper's Son 

• Iconoclast Par Excellence
  • LocationBeautiful Willamette Valley

Posted 09 June 2011 - 06:02 PM

View PostPete.R, on 09 June 2011 - 01:24 AM, said:

Who actually reads stickies...... [lol]

Apparently, the ones who don't ask these sort of questions.

#19 User is offline   damian 

• The Guitar Whisperer
  • LocationIn The Misty Mountains With My Black Dog

Posted 09 June 2011 - 09:07 PM

Whch of these are Gibbies, and which are Epis ?? Are they all Gibbies, or all Epis ?? Does it matter ???

Posted Image
I use Atlas Stands because they are the best................. http://www.facebook.com/atlasstands ......American Made.......Rewind Pickups; MIA and the Best.......
.....................Codtone Pedals from OZ......................................." Ya'll remove hats, please "...................................Motor City Pickups......................................
.................................." I hate it when people compare god with jimmy page, I mean, he's good and all, but he's no jimmy page."..................................
Music Consultant, Songwriter........................................ - THE MENSA PRETZEL LOGIC PROJECT - .............................. Advocate for the Disabled, Gentle Hellraiser.

" It occured to me by intuition, and music was the driving force behind that intuition. My discovery was the result of musical perception." Einstein on his theory of relativity.
" Music is a higher relevation than all wisdom and philosophy. Music is the electrical soil in which the spirit lives, thinks and invents." Ludwig von Beethoven
" There's nothing remarkable about it. All one has to do is hit the right keys at the right time and the instrument plays itself.' Johann Sebastian Bach
" Playing scales is like a boxer skipping rope or a punching bag. It's not the thing itself; it's preparatory to the activity." Barney Kessel
" After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." Aldous Hoxley
" There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have crossed this line." Pianist Oscar Lavant
" Music came before language; musical grunts became words." Damian (copyright)
" I know how to get there, all I've got to do is keep playing." Jimmy Page
" Without music, life would be a mistake." Friedrich Nietzsche
" Music is an outburst of the soul." Fredrick Deluis
" Rock and Roll forever, man." Unknown
" Damian's cool." NeoConMan
" WTF ??? " dem00n
Posted Image

#20 User is offline   RaSTuS 

Posted 09 June 2011 - 09:55 PM

View PostSolidSnake1mgs, on 09 June 2011 - 03:49 PM, said:

However quality wise a Gibson is always gonna feel better in your hands than an epi, its really up to you what you prefer...

Not to my way of thinking, I own twice as many Gibsons as I do Epis, 6/3, and I'm not much impressed by any of my Gibsons, I much prefer my 2 Epi Ultra-IIs over any of my Gibsons, in both sound and feel.

Some of my collection
A man of many faces !!!
Posted Image

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users