Gibson Brands Forums

serial number/label mystery?...

I have this problem, well not really a problem, but it's been bugging me since I got my guitar at Christmas. Well I have a DR212 and on the label inside the guitar it has the model printed on and then in the space for the serial number it has a sticker with the serial number on stuck over whatever was originally printed there. As I said, it hasn't really bothered me too much but I thought I'd ask about while I was on here, as there seems to be alot about fakes going about?

Any help or reassurances would be great! Thanks guys!...

Well here's my baby. As you can see she has at least 2 stickers over the serial number, and you can just about see some text coming through from under that, so perhaps there is another label or the original stamp nder that?

Why would Epi do this? Surely a serial number can't change?

dr212_02.jpg

Someone from Epiphone Customer Service should inject some information here. At best, it is a new guitar, that for some reason they factory stuck the wrong serial number label onto the brand / model label, the over stuck another label.... in a haphazard fashion.

It may be legit, but what bothers me is that there are two different fonts. If it were me I would question the provenance of this guitar. Goodness knows any subsequent buyer of it would do the same.

Archived