Gibson Guitar Board: 1936 Gibson Trojan - Gibson Guitar Board

Jump to content

  • (3 Pages)
  • +
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1936 Gibson Trojan fon #

#1 User is offline   supernova1969a 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 30
  • Joined: 11-June 11
  • Locationmichigan

Posted 11 June 2011 - 09:06 PM

I have recently squires a 36 Trojan. The FON from what I can read is. 12B40. With a red 7 underneath it
Any idea what the red 7 means? Underneath the fon#. Thanks fellow Gibson friends!

#2 User is offline   supernova1969a 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 30
  • Joined: 11-June 11
  • Locationmichigan

Posted 11 June 2011 - 09:09 PM

Ment to say aquired not squires. Thanks

#3 User is offline   Red 333 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 2820
  • Joined: 27-December 07

Posted 11 June 2011 - 09:45 PM

Can you post some pictures of the whole guitar as well as the neck block?

CONGRATS on the Trojan!

Red 333

#4 User is offline   J-1854Me 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 856
  • Joined: 17-August 10

Posted 11 June 2011 - 10:23 PM

View Postsupernova1969a, on 11 June 2011 - 09:06 PM, said:

I have recently squires a 36 Trojan. The FON from what I can read is. 12B40. With a red 7 underneath it
Any idea what the red 7 means? Underneath the fon#. Thanks fellow Gibson friends!


I think that the "7" would denote that this was the 7th guitar in that particular batch.

#5 User is offline   62burst 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 641
  • Joined: 01-January 10

Posted 11 June 2011 - 10:28 PM

Yes, I'm going to have to say congratulations on that, indeed. Whenever a Gibson Trojan finds a new home, it's big news.
So... you're familiar with the old guitar forum saw... "If there are no pictures... (it didn't happen [tongue]!)"

the red 7 (in pencil?) is the production number (for that day? {calling Mr. Rar for a fact check}) in that batch pertaining to it's FON (even though the particular alphanumeric you've given doesn't sound quite right).

I think we'd all love to hear the story on how that one happened to end up in your living room.

Again,
HNVGD congratulations! SB.

#6 User is offline   rar 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1776
  • Joined: 26-December 07
  • LocationSF Bay Area, CA

Posted 11 June 2011 - 11:25 PM

View PostJ-1854Me, on 11 June 2011 - 10:23 PM, said:

I think that the "7" would denote that this was the 7th guitar in that particular batch.

+1

That FON is a puzzler! I took a quick through Spann's Guide, and didn't see a recorded Jumbo/J-35 FON that.resembles "12B40". I'd love to see a photo of the neck block, and some other photos of the guitar.

-- Bob R

#7 User is offline   tvguit 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 942
  • Joined: 18-May 10
  • LocationBirmingham, AL

Posted 12 June 2011 - 08:15 AM

PICTURES PLEASE!!!!! and congrats! and maybe a soundbite?
The new home of True Vintage Guitar
Birmingham, AL
On Twitter: @TVGuit

#8 User is offline   guitarstrummer 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 2115
  • Joined: 26-December 07
  • LocationColorado

Posted 12 June 2011 - 09:23 AM

According to the "Blue Book of Acoustic Guitars", sixth edition

"F O Ns for the years 1935-1941 usually consisted of the batch number, a letter for the year and the instrument number. Examples are as follows:

722 A 23
465 D 58
863 E 02.

Code Letter and Year
A 1935
B 1936
C 1937
D 1938
E 1939
F 1940
G 1941"

If that's the case, it would seem like your guitar was in batch 12, instrument number 40 and it was made in 1936. There was no mention as to what the red "7" could mean.

#9 User is offline   rar 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1776
  • Joined: 26-December 07
  • LocationSF Bay Area, CA

Posted 12 June 2011 - 11:58 PM

View Postguitarstrummer, on 12 June 2011 - 09:23 AM, said:

... it would seem like your guitar was in batch 12, instrument number 40 and it was made in 1936. ...


This interpretation seems very unlikely to me, given current best guesses on production dates. Batch 12B would be from very early in the year, and the Trojan/J-35 didn't go into production until October, and current thought seems to be that the Trojan became the J-35 no later than December. The earliest batch in the shipping records is 960B, and this batch is explicitly labeled "Trojan". 960B and 961B are the only two batch numbers for Trojans that have shown up in the J-35 registry. (Again, according to the registry, 78C -- the first batch in 1937 shown in the shipping records -- definitely is not a Trojan.) There were at least 5 more batches of J-35s in 1936 -- 1023B, 1028B, 1032B, 1042B, and 1078B -- and I don't know which of these are Trojans and which are J-35s proper. (Maybe no one knows for all five at this point.) I suspect that at least some are Trojans, though, because I recall Willi Henkes remarking that Trojans are "much less rare" than George Gruhn's estimate of 39 suggested, because that estimate was based on the assumption that 960B was the only batch of Trojans. Seems to me that a second batch would make Trojans less rare, but not much less rare.

-- Bob R

#10 User is offline   supernova1969a 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 30
  • Joined: 11-June 11
  • Locationmichigan

Posted 13 June 2011 - 09:10 PM

I'd love to bit on a newbie
Need about 8 more posts then ill upload them. Thanks for your interest!


View PostRed 333, on 11 June 2011 - 09:45 PM, said:

Can you post some pictures of the whole guitar as well as the neck block?

CONGRATS on the Trojan!

Red 333


#11 User is offline   supernova1969a 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 30
  • Joined: 11-June 11
  • Locationmichigan

Posted 13 June 2011 - 09:14 PM

Thank you after closer inspection it's a 9 with a circle around it.


View Post62burst, on 11 June 2011 - 10:28 PM, said:

Yes, I'm going to have to say congratulations on that, indeed. Whenever a Gibson Trojan finds a new home, it's big news.
So... you're familiar with the old guitar forum saw... "If there are no pictures... (it didn't happen [tongue]!)"

the red 7 (in pencil?) is the production number (for that day? {calling Mr. Rar for a fact check}) in that batch pertaining to it's FON (even though the particular alphanumeric you've given doesn't sound quite right).

I think we'd all love to hear the story on how that one happened to end up in your living room.

Again,
HNVGD congratulations! SB.


#12 User is offline   supernova1969a 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 30
  • Joined: 11-June 11
  • Locationmichigan

Posted 13 June 2011 - 09:22 PM

Well after showing Gibson the photos and the fon they determined it is in fact a 36 Trojan. Its very possible that I'm not reading the whole fon # correctly or some of it is worn away or lightly stamped. I'm. Going to try and get in there closer to reinspect number
Once I can upload pics. You Guy's can check it out thanks!

View Postrar, on 12 June 2011 - 11:58 PM, said:

This interpretation seems very unlikely to me, given current best guesses on production dates. Batch 12B would be from very early in the year, and the Trojan/J-35 didn't go into production until October, and current thought seems to be that the Trojan became the J-35 no later than December. The earliest batch in the shipping records is 960B, and this batch is explicitly labeled "Trojan". 960B and 961B are the only two batch numbers for Trojans that have shown up in the J-35 registry. (Again, according to the registry, 78C -- the first batch in 1937 shown in the shipping records -- definitely is not a Trojan.) There were at least 5 more batches of J-35s in 1936 -- 1023B, 1028B, 1032B, 1042B, and 1078B -- and I don't know which of these are Trojans and which are J-35s proper. (Maybe no one knows for all five at this point.) I suspect that at least some are Trojans, though, because I recall Willi Henkes remarking that Trojans are "much less rare" than George Gruhn's estimate of 39 suggested, because that estimate was based on the assumption that 960B was the only batch of Trojans. Seems to me that a second batch would make Trojans less rare, but not much less rare.

-- Bob R


#13 User is offline   supernova1969a 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 30
  • Joined: 11-June 11
  • Locationmichigan

Posted 13 June 2011 - 09:25 PM

Thanks for the info!

View Postguitarstrummer, on 12 June 2011 - 09:23 AM, said:

According to the "Blue Book of Acoustic Guitars", sixth edition

"F O Ns for the years 1935-1941 usually consisted of the batch number, a letter for the year and the instrument number. Examples are as follows:

722 A 23
465 D 58
863 E 02.

Code Letter and Year
A 1935
B 1936
C 1937
D 1938
E 1939
F 1940
G 1941"

If that's the case, it would seem like your guitar was in batch 12, instrument number 40 and it was made in 1936. There was no mention as to what the red "7" could mean.


#14 User is offline   supernova1969a 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 30
  • Joined: 11-June 11
  • Locationmichigan

Posted 13 June 2011 - 09:27 PM

Does a reply count as a post. I'd like to upload photos of this guitar.

#15 User is offline   supernova1969a 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 30
  • Joined: 11-June 11
  • Locationmichigan

Posted 13 June 2011 - 09:34 PM

I'm going to have an appraisal done by Mr Gruhn soon. I have soon good pics but need to take some better ones with a better camera. Hopefully that should shed some light.

#16 User is offline   supernova1969a 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 30
  • Joined: 11-June 11
  • Locationmichigan

Posted 13 June 2011 - 09:54 PM

Here's some pics.

Attached thumbnail(s)

  • Attached Image: 0602011550.jpg
  • Attached Image: 0527011859a.jpg


#17 User is offline   supernova1969a 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 30
  • Joined: 11-June 11
  • Locationmichigan

Posted 13 June 2011 - 09:58 PM

You may have to zoom in to see frets clear.

Attached thumbnail(s)

  • Attached Image: 0602011547_2.jpg


#18 User is offline   supernova1969a 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 30
  • Joined: 11-June 11
  • Locationmichigan

Posted 13 June 2011 - 10:10 PM

Seems that's all I can send maxed. Out global quota. Have pic. With tape measure indicating 16 inches and another of front of head stock. Thanks. Let me know what you guys think.

#19 User is offline   62burst 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 641
  • Joined: 01-January 10

Posted 14 June 2011 - 02:30 AM

That is in wonderful condition. Whatever it says on the neck block. Or the headstock.

I'm sure all would still be very interested to find out more on how you came onto this guitar.

#20 User is offline   supernova1969a 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 30
  • Joined: 11-June 11
  • Locationmichigan

Posted 17 June 2011 - 05:58 PM

Thank you, actually I was buying a PT cruiser with a blown engine from this lady. See asked do you know anybody that would be interested in a guitar? She had tried to learn to play back in the early 70,s but gave up. So it sat. when I saw the headstock , the way gibson was written I knew It was special but not sure how special. I said sure I,ll take it off your hands!!! The rest is history



View Post62burst, on 14 June 2011 - 02:30 AM, said:

That is in wonderful condition. Whatever it says on the neck block. Or the headstock.

I'm sure all would still be very interested to find out more on how you came onto this guitar.


Share this topic:


  • (3 Pages)
  • +
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users