Gibson Brands Forums

Experienced Advice Needed for a First Guitar/Bass

Dev n Music

As the topic Says above I need some help on picking up new hobby (though it might become more than that). I going to be using my new new instrument for mainly Rap/Hip-hip (favorite artist is Jay-Z) but I also like a lot of rock (But I hate Metal) and J-Rock (Guns n' Roses, Good Charlotte The Young and the Hopeless, Eyeshine "Never Gonna Fake It", and ANNA inspi' NANA(BLACK STONES) / rose, ANNA inspi' NANA [bLACK STONES] - Lucy, plus the songs that where played in Beck Mongolian Chop Squad, ect.). Is there any thing I should know and or watch out for when trying out a new guitar?

I Didn't put in links because I didn't want to get flamed (been reading the forums for hrs. and didn't see that much links).

I just want you to get a good idea of what kind of musical personality I have so I can get the most accurate answer/responses. If you need more details on how, where or what I'm going to need my new instrument for just ask. Thanks helping out!

(I make changes as needed i.e. add artist/song/albums[sorry if I posted in the wrong spot]) (3.39am June 12)

Seriously considering an Epi Les Paul S2 at the moment. (11.20pm June 12)

Update on budget: Ignoring Tax 1k USD (Originally $550) or less. Less is better Because I'll have to buy all the other stuff that I need to like Amp's (going for Marshall) (11.31 July 11)

• 3 weeks later...

I'll step up in this one :D

First of all, I'm a guitarrist/bassist who LOVES J-music; my bass technique comes from TETSU (from L'arc en ciel) and my Guitar Technique, would come from Noel Gallagher (so, nothing really fancy here xD).

To get tones for "Rose" or "Glamorous Sky" or Lucy or even "A little pain" what you need is a Les Paul. I got no idea what's your budget.

- If money ain't an issue for you (lucky u, btw), go for a Gibson Les Paul (humbuckers).

- If you are on a budget, then I would say go for an Epiphone Les Paul Standard (plain top) that costs around 399.99 (black color) and, later on, you can upgrade the pickups (for like 300+ dollars) with the Gibson Classic '57 and Classic '57 plus combo.

For bass, I'm not really sure... I am very happy playing with my Epiphone Goth Thunderbird IV, but you could also go for a Squier Jazz Bass as well or an Ibanez with active pickups (for like 299 dollars). Up to you.

If need any more info, let me know :D Hope this helps a bit :D

First of all, I'm a guitarrist/bassist who LOVES J-music; my bass technique comes from TETSU (from L'arc en ciel) and my Guitar Technique, would come from Noel Gallagher (so, nothing really fancy here xD).

To get tones for "Rose" or "Glamorous Sky" or Lucy or even "A little pain" what you need is a Les Paul. I got no idea what's your budget.

- If money ain't an issue for you (lucky u, btw), go for a Gibson Les Paul (humbuckers).

- If you are on a budget, then I would say go for an Epiphone Les Paul Standard (plain top) that costs around 399.99 (black color) and, later on, you can upgrade the pickups (for like 300+ dollars) with the Gibson Classic '57 and Classic '57 plus combo.

For bass, I'm not really sure... I am very happy playing with my Epiphone Goth Thunderbird IV, but you could also go for a Squier Jazz Bass as well or an Ibanez with active pickups (for like 299 dollars). Up to you.

I must have Frigg'n tellepathy or some thing cuz I haven't been here in weeks and BAM! there you are with the answer, thx! So as a side note a few day ago I finally listened to Three Day Grace's Life Starts Now (fav. song is The Good Life) and I love the Whole album (Got it on repeat right now) I also about to post a few link to guitar's I liked on youtube brb (it was a American Strato and a Jag)

----------------------

Thats the Jag

and, sorry it was actually a Telecaster American, lol

Welcome to the Gibson Forums! Epiphone makes some great intruments at affordable prices. The new Gibson Melody Maker line may be within your budget as well.

Thank's for the Welcome! and ya the Melody Maker dose look extremly tempting . . .

Between you and my buddy Enzo It looks like I'll eventuly be getting more than one guitar, lol

• 1 year later...

Hello, Get the best instrument you can afford. You can always move up. DON'T get the cheapest instrument out there as it will only make learning harder. Especially on the fingers! and, perhaps the ears as well. Also, "think" before you buy. Don't buy what looks good but rather go for the instrument that will represent the type of music you are interested in. Starting with an box guitar is not a bad idea. Don't need an amp, electricity, and you can hear the thing. Just about anyone can sound good on an electric guitar and a Marshall full stack. But you hear all your mistakes in technique on non-electric instruments. Good way to start out learning.

Just a thought...

If I was starting out today knowing what I know after playing off and on for 30+ years, I would buy a Gibson Les Paul (Studios can be had for less than $700) and a good amp with some built in modeling features, such as one of the Fender Mustang series (+-$300).

The guitar will be all you will need in a guitar for years to come and the amp will give you a taste of many amp types so when you are ready to upgrade you will have an idea of what you want. Also, I know of plenty of people who gig with their Mustangs.

• 3 weeks later...

You mentioned that your budget was $550.00 right ? Well for that amount if you're looking to score something brand new, I suggest that you look into the Epiphone G-400 faded Vintage series. They only sell for $300.00 and are a lot of guitar for the price. As far as a amp is concerned, I would look into a Fender Mustang II combo which is rated at a very loud 40 watts, or you could go the used route and go to www.guitarcenter.com and click on their used gear section and see what is available as far as amps are concerned within the $250.00 range. You can find some used SS Fender Combos that are at least 65 watts and louder than hell for at least $125.00 or more.

• 7 months later...

As the topic Says above I need some help on picking up new hobby (though it might become more than that). I going to be using my new new instrument for mainly Rap/Hip-hip (favorite artist is Jay-Z) but I also like a lot of rock (But I hate Metal) and J-Rock (Guns n' Roses, Good Charlotte The Young and the Hopeless, Eyeshine "Never Gonna Fake It", and ANNA inspi' NANA(BLACK STONES) / rose, ANNA inspi' NANA [bLACK STONES] - Lucy, plus the songs that where played in Beck Mongolian Chop Squad, ect.). Is there any thing I should know and or watch out for when trying out a new guitar?

I Didn't put in links because I didn't want to get flamed (been reading the forums for hrs. and didn't see that much links).

I just want you to get a good idea of what kind of musical personality I have so I can get the most accurate answer/responses. If you need more details on how, where or what I'm going to need my new instrument for just ask. Thanks helping out!

(I make changes as needed i.e. add artist/song/albums[sorry if I posted in the wrong spot]) (3.39am June 12)

Seriously considering an Epi Les Paul S2 at the moment. (11.20pm June 12)

Update on budget: Ignoring Tax 1k USD (Originally $550) or less. Less is better Because I'll have to buy all the other stuff that I need to like Amp's (going for Marshall) (11.31 July 11)

i work as live entertainment musician and i have spalted maple telecaster that covers almost all music genres i perform. it has great playability and tone. i think you should check this guitar, or if you can' find this guitar in new condition. you might want to check fender FMT SE custom Telecaster. it has similarities with my spalted maple. one thing i can't get in this guitar is the tremolo-bar style playing ( it's fixed/non-vibrato bridge guitar). mine is pre-owned and it's a steal deal ($375 for this gorgeous one)

telecaster+spalted+maple+views.jpg

Archived