Gibson Brands Forums

Tony Iommi signature sg

ftmtch

Yes, hello. Finally my long search is over and I was able to get myself a Tony Iommi custom shop signature sg. Best guitar I have ever played, I must say.

But my question is, does anybody know that at what year(s) these were made? The info has been lost in time I see. I know it was made sometime in 200x. Were these made all in one year, or did the production run take longer? Mine serial number is just under 200.

And the other question is, how many of these were exactly ever made? I remember it was something around 250-300? If anybody knows the exact number, I´d appreciate it.

And yes, I am only interested on the info about the custom shop model, not the "normal" Gibson run.+:-@

• 3 years later...

Yes, hello. Finally my long search is over and I was able to get myself a Tony Iommi custom shop signature sg. Best guitar I have ever played, I must say.

But my question is, does anybody know that at what year(s) these were made? The info has been lost in time I see. I know it was made sometime in 200x. Were these made all in one year, or did the production run take longer? Mine serial number is just under 200.

And the other question is, how many of these were exactly ever made? I remember it was something around 250-300? If anybody knows the exact number, I´d appreciate it.

And yes, I am only interested on the info about the custom shop model, not the "normal" Gibson run.+:-@

I purchased my Custom Shop Tony Iommi signature SG in 1999. According to the official Gibson release they were making a limited run of 200 guitars. My serial number is TI 69. I know they made the prototype guitars in 1997 (according to Tony's official web site) but I think they started selling the first limited run in 1999 when I got mine. Shortly after that in early 2000 I noticed the signature model had been added to the Gibson web site and no longer advertised it as a limited run of 200. I assume they just decided to keep making them for a while either that or it took that long to sell them. They are insanely expensive. During an extensive tour of the Custom Shop I inquired as to why they were so expensive. I was told that this guitar has the ONLY fretboard that is hand made at the shop. All other guitars had fret board inlays manufactured off site but the sterling silver crosses had to be done by hand in house.

So to answer your question, in 1999 Gibson officially stated that the Custom Shop was making exactly 200 Tony Iommi Signature guitars.

Archived