Gibson Brands Forums

1973 Gibson SG Special

eyeofsetSGRP

I just recently purchased a vintage 1973 Gibson Special with mini humbuckers and I am trying to verify the serial number. It reads as follows: 054327 and it was also stamped with a 2 making it a blemished model. This is my first Gibson. I am trying to find out more about this guitar. Can anybody help?

I just recently purchased a vintage 1973 Gibson Special with mini humbuckers and I am trying to verify the serial number. It reads as follows: 054327 and it was also stamped with a 2 making it a blemished model. This is my first Gibson. I trying to find out more about this guitar. Can anybody help?

You already have it nailed down. With minis it is a 70s. If the serial # starts with 0 it is a '73, although serial numbers are approximate. Check pot codes as another reference. How about some pics. I'd love to see it.

Thanks for your input. I will get some pics up as soon as I get my new computer up and running. Right now I am using the university library computer for now.

You already have it nailed down. With minis it is a 70s. If the serial # starts with 0 it is a '73, although serial numbers are approximate. Check pot codes as another reference. How about some pics. I'd love to see it.

• 1 month later...

Here are the pictures of my new used 1973 Gibson SG Special with mini-humbuckers. It has a headstock repair (the pictures didn't capture it too well) and the previous owner also added another input jack to the guitar which I am thinking about getting removed and having it filled. Anyways, here to you all for your enjoyment

post-33897-033669000 1311899197_thumb.jpg

post-33897-027813700 1311899211_thumb.jpg

post-33897-038239200 1311899225_thumb.jpg

post-33897-096118500 1311899241_thumb.jpg

post-33897-092561400 1311899259_thumb.jpg

• 3 months later...

I would like to know the value of my 1973 Gibson SG Special before I post it on craigslist. It has a headstock repair (very good one at that), input jack replacement and some pot replacements as well and I would like to know how much it is worth with all of these replacements at hand.

• 2 years later...

I no longer have my 1973 Gibson Sg Special with mini humbuckers anymore. I traded it for a used Crate 15 tube amp in blonde coloring close to a couple years ago. I now have a newer 2011 Gibson SG Melody Maker I bought brand new at Guitar Center close to a couple of years ago around the same time I traded my SG Special. It does my high gain sounds very well after a pickup change to Duncan Detonators and fretboard mod to 24frets. I am thinking about going back to the SG Special 70's tribute with mini humbuckers or modding an Epi 50th anniv. SG Special and putting mini humbuckers there later on this year (2014). Thanks for you all's support over the years and I hope Gibson and Epiphone continue making a very fine product indeed.

Archived