Gibson Brands Forums

oyster bfg thread

wb8177

Hey what happened to your bfg thread "I got my bfg" ? I was following it as I have one on order. Thanks.

Hey' date=' yeah - it's gone!

Where is yours on order from? What color? [-X

I recently redid the finish on mine. Wow... what a difference a bunch of work makes. :-k

l_537956a762d92274425cff90ea3f5487.jpg

Sanded off all the 'filler' on the back. I was left with beautiful bare mahogany. I then sealed it, sanded it and shot it with a few coats of nitro. The natural 'stripe' up the middle was an added bonus. It may just be my imagination, but it seems like it actually sounds better now.

l_17d11501f3669f0bbdd6274eab13ec3c.jpg

For the front, I just cleaned it and shot it with nitro. Did the same the headstock. Really brought out the gold, in both cases. Not sure if I can leave the front alone or not. Time will tell.

Regardless, fantastic guitar. I love mine.

Hey what happened to your bfg thread "I got my bfg" ? I was following it as I have one on order. Thanks.

I was looking for a post that I thought had disappeared as well. Then I noticed at the bottom left, right under the list of topics, is "Show topics" and then a drop down menu with everything from the last day to the last six months (plus the option of "All"). The default is to only show the last week, which is why the BFG post seems missing. At the default setting, there are 5 pages of posts in the LP forum. If I set mine to "All" there are actually 11 pages.

All that being said, I still can't find the BFG thread.[-X

I'M NOT MR CONSPIRACY BUT I WAS IN CONTACT WITH THE DEALER I ORDERED MY BFG FROM AS I AM EXPECTING A TWO PIECE TOP. WHEN I SAW OYSTER'S THREAD HIS PICS SHOWED A 3 PIECE TOP. I MENTIONED THE THREAD IN MY EMAIL AND FROM WHAT I HEAR THERE WAS SOME CONFUSION AT GIBSON AS TO WHETHER OR NOT THE TOPS WERE 2 OR 3 PIECES. THE NEXT DAY THE THREAD WAS GONE.

Ok ok, before this gets too far! I originally went to edit my first post in that thread, instead, I hit delete. POW! The whole thread must have gone with it. I wanted to take my posts off and put them in a huge modding thread. I didn't think it'd kill the whole thread!

Here's the original pic....

l_bfd34aa5b4bb751c3254d5164c03efd3.jpg

Hope this helps!

Wow the guitar looks alot better now' date=' thats a pretty bad finish on the original. Good work, I love the Trans Black, I would have bought a BFG in that colour.[/quote']

None of the pics really do it justice. I took the one just above upon first case opening. I looked at the pic and was kinda surprised how terrible it looked when captured on 'digital film'.

...and now, the pics of the 'new' finish doesn't do the real thing justice. There's no way to capture how deep the finish looks now.

I like the 'trans black' more and more each day. If I were to buy another, it'd be the black - which I would promptly start to modify. hehe.

The BFG is hands down the modders guitar.

Hey Thanks. That makes sense. I ordered the trans red color. I owned a Les Paul Std for years but sold it a long time ago. I currently have a 94 Lucille, a 90 Fender Clapton Strat and a 2005 Peavey HP Special CT. I was gassing for a LP without spending a mint. I love the idea of the pu combo and the unfinished neck and body. I have 2 small kids and thought it would be great to have something I could play without worrying about it getting banged up while they're running around. It should be done soon. I think the mods you have done look great.

Wow! I'm impressed. That looks great! Did you just sand it and add nitro? The front looks like a gold top but the back is what is really impressing! I like the dirty rawkin' look of mine but that looks freakin' awesome! No pickup ring though?

Thanks! For the back, I started with 100grit, sealed it with lacquer, sanded again with 400grit, then shot the nitro. It made a huge difference in feel and looks. I didn't want it too glossy, as one of the biggest draws for me was the natural feel of the BFG. It's just about right now... :D

No pickup ring...ever! :D Which is another thing I liked about the BFG. :)

Wow!!! You did a great job on that BFG. Did you have to add any washers/spacers when you added the fourth pot? Did you use a long shaft pot?

Thanks!

You just need an extra nut - like the rest of the pots. Then you can adjust it just right, but it did require a couple larger washers since the hole there is larger to take the switch originally.

I did use a long shaft pot, straight from Gibson. Then I wired it so each pickup has a volume and tone to itself.

Right on with the pickup ring. I bought one and then changed my mind (never drilled it). I just had my kill switch rewired. The guy who did said it was done all wrong (a very experienced luthier). I had constant hum even with the kill switch "off". He rewired it so the switch actually engages the connection with the input jack. If anyone has had any trouble with the kill switch, it might need some adjustment. Anyways, great job oyster! You gave it a whole new look without losing the overall picture. This is how improvements from the factory come about!

I must say, I've never really given BFGs much thought before... but they really seem like the right LP for me, with the mix of pups, and the fact that they're meant to be played more then anything (raw and messy :().

I don't really like the look a whole lot... but they seem amazingly suited to what I like to play.

Archived