Gibson Brands Forums

What is the 'growliest' Gibson acoustic ?

EuroAussie

Was just wondering ... as we often associate 'growl' with Gibson acoustics, and that is certainly one of the top attractions of the Gibson tone for me.

I had a friend of mine asking me what I would recommend for a really growly Gibson and I had to think a bit as they all sort of share that characteristic.

But from the ones I own and the ones I played in guitar shop I would have to say the SWD is the growliest of the lot.

The SJ certainly has a ton of growl and attitude but the rosewood SWD has the growl plus the rosewood overtone to magnify that growl a few fold.

Anyway, what would you say is the growliest Gibson ?

btw: I know that level of 'growl' often will come from the fingers of the player, no doubt, but lets leave that aside for now and just focus on model characterstics.

Don't own either at the moment, but I'd say the J45. In my mind, the Songwriter is a "gentleman's guitar," and I mean that as a compliment to both guitar and owner. The J45 is a bit different. I kind of see it as a rogue, loner, a brawler...Of course, I typically don't know what I'm talking about.

Lets see, I can only compare my 4 Gibsons, my J45, CF-100E, Hummingbird Pro, and my Hummingbird Artist,(which I sold almost all muy electric stuff to get my Gibsons). I love the sound of all my Gibsons, but I would have to say the growliest is my J45. Love it.

OK Buc. Well they way I hear it its mainly the midrange coming through when strummed, backed up by the bottom end. You can in particular hear it when playing first position chords like the Asus2 chord.

For example for me Martin just doesnt have much growl, it is bass heavy but when I strum a Martin Im missing that growly midrange rumble that Gibsons deliver when played the same way.

Another way of defining growl is that sound that Gibson makes which scares small pets and Taylor playing folks.

I think this J-200 has nice Gibson 'growl' to it..

Define "growl" as it pertains to guitar tone. I understand using "bright", "dark", "warm", "jangly", "loud"......but what the heck is "growl"?

My Gibson F-25, a smallish LG sized with a wide neck, growls. Sometimes when it is just sitting on its stand it will growl at me when it wants to play. The sounds that come out of it sometimes are really scary. It growls.

I never understood what the heck "Growl" meant on a guitar either, Buc.

But that video did a great job of 'esplainin' it to me. [thumbup]

Yeah, I love that about my SWD....

I get an Em working with a G and D and Am with lots of lifts, adds, and hammer-ons and its gets a FUNKY growl going!

Only a Gibson, baby!

It's understandable that you American Davy Crocketts who live amongst cougars, bears and beavers (as we once did in Europe), are very sensitive to the word 'growl'.

Only kiddin' – Next to Robin Hood, Davys hat is one of the coolest examples of headgear in pre-historic time

Well, to me the growl is the certain edge of mild distortion, that occurs when some slightly compressed mid-tone orientated Gibsons take a rougher beating. They kind of snarl back at you when brought to intense action, which can be surprising – and represents an interesting curve from their soft, at times even sweet, standard voice.

Bearclaw spruce by the way (for those who don't know) : The poetic term for top spruce with wood-patterns that provides images of a bear polishing claws upon the tree when it was still in the wilderness, , , probably while growling.

Oouuh your question – Really don't know. . . .

Had this pic. in store, enjoy :

Crockettfacinggrizzlybears.jpg

As for definitions, I'm with Emin7 in that I would characterize Gibson growl as a certain distorsion in the mids. As EA points out it is perhaps most noticeable given certain types of strumming - but for me more so where alternating picked bass and hard-strummed mids/trebles are at stake (bearclaw or with flatpick), less so where all-out, even strumming is the name of the game. It also appears when flatpicking single notes or fingerpicking hard. Not so sure about the compression being a factor, as I notice that more when I'm full-on strumming my Woody and the growl is less on display. Could well be part of it, but the growl might come from somewhere else. Evidently from the replies here, it is something that owners of mahogany-backed slopeshoulders associate with their instruments and I am no exception.

So moving closer to an answer to EA's question, I'd second PM's comment. My Woody has plenty of it too.

In actual answer, EA, I have to think back to your Thomann sample experiment. Among your guitars as recorded there can be only one winner, and that's the Aaron. That's why so many of us could spot it while we got the others mixed up. That's also probably why so many of us liked it best. Live, your SWD may well growl louder (the official Thomann SWD sample also growls nicely), but recorded your SJ wins hands down. By the end of this thread, I predict that, as in Highlander, there will be only one. In this case it may well have two heads (or at least necks - one dot and one split parallellogram), but it will be the S/J45. You know it makes sense...

All good points Mojo, as per usual.

I would say its sort of like this, depth vs breadth level of growl.

If I look at the growl in terms of which has the most cut through, like a straight, penetrating bullet then the AL SJ wins hands down. Totally agree with you.

If I look at it in terms of which spreads the growl the most in terms of depth, power and coverage then the SWD is the one. Not as sharp and razor like but deep, big and bald.

But, yes, I think most folks would think of the first approach, in terms of cut through and that certainly would be an assessment i would agree with.

As for definitions, I'm with Emin7 in that I would characterize Gibson growl as a certain distorsion in the mids. As EA points out it is perhaps most noticeable given certain types of strumming - but for me more so where alternating picked bass and hard-strummed mids/trebles are at stake (bearclaw or with flatpick), less so where all-out, even strumming is the name of the game. It also appears when flatpicking single notes or fingerpicking hard. Not so sure about the compression being a factor, as I notice that more when I'm full-on strumming my Woody and the growl is less on display. Could well be part of it, but the growl might come from somewhere else. Evidently from the replies here, it is something that owners of mahogany-backed slopeshoulders associate with their instruments and I am no exception.

So moving closer to an answer to EA's question, I'd second PM's comment. My Woody has plenty of it too.

In actual answer, EA, I have to think back to your Thomann sample experiment. Among your guitars as recorded there can be only one winner, and that's the Aaron. That's why so many of us could spot it while we got the others mixed up. That's also probably why so many of us liked it best. Live, your SWD may well growl louder (the official Thomann SWD sample also growls nicely), but recorded your SJ wins hands down. By the end of this thread, I predict that, as in Highlander, there will be only one. In this case it may well have two heads (or at least necks - one dot and one split parallellogram), but it will be the S/J45. You know it makes sense...

Archived