Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson ABR-1 and Nashville bridges

ALFA ROMEO CORSE

Hi,

Do you know when Gibson switched ABR-1 to Nashville bridge?

detailcorps2.jpg

Wow! I see your SG has the ABR-1 bridge (can tell by the retainer wire). I have a new 2011 Heritage Cherry SG Standard and it has a Nashville bridge

on it. I don't know if they switched them over the years or if different model SGs have different bridges, i.e. Nashville vs ABR-1. My CS-336 came with

the ABR-1 bridge and initially I had problems with it rattling and bad intonation. I called Gibson Customer Service explaining the problem. No questions

asked, they just mailed me a brand ne ABR-1 replacement bridge. Of course I had to get my guitar tech to remove the old one, notch the new one (the saddles

were un-notched on the new one)and put the new one on. He did the work on it and the CS-336 sounds great now.

Send your question into Gibson Customer service on-line, along with your picture and SG model and I'm sure they can answer your question more specifically.

Good luck!

Guest BentonC

We tend to use the Nashville bridge on most production models, and the ABR-1 goes on more of the historic models.

75-76 is when the Nashville bridge was introduced.... But I'm glad to see more of todays Gibby's fitted with the ABR.... I would like to see more with nylon saddles [thumbup]

The SG has the harmonica bridge as well during the 70's

Historically speaking, I think there is a much bigger question here.

When was the Nashville Tune-O-Matic bridge introduced, and was it used on guitars built in Kalamazoo?

It's pretty obvious that the Nashville bridge was introduced and used on guitars built at the "new" union busting Nashville plant, so did all guitars that were fitted with and Nashville bridge in the mid-70's come out of the Nashville plant, or....

I'm only asking because I "supposedly" one of the first two LP Standard RI's of 1975 (it has a Nashville bridge).

Archived