Gibson Brands Forums

Norman

Hi there. This is my first post. I live in Calgary, AB and was wondering if there was anyone else in this forum, also in this area, that would have some ideas on any groups of novice players that could help me learn something other than the G chord I've been playing forever? I'm really not very good, have pickles for fingers and can mangle just about any song but I'm not giving up yet.

I have a beautiful '04 J45r that I keep all shined up, humidified and re-strung and it's a shame that I can't do much else with it other than that!

I apologize to all if this is not proper forum protocol in asking.

Norm

Welcome Norm. We all started at the same point so fret ye not!

Chordie is a good place to start. There's loads of stuff on t'internet and you could try a few basic books. I recently bought an Ernie Ball beginners book for my son and its looks pretty good.

But most of all, have fun learning and ask away. There's a huge amount of knowledge on this forum and everyone's always happy to help where we can.

Welcome to the forum. I think you'll find this is one of the more open minded, tolerant, helpful, and non-judgemental forums around. I can't say it has anything to do with our taste in guitars, I just think good attracts good and evil attracts evil.

As to your ability as a player, fear not; you're in good company. Sometimes I'm good but most times I can't even tap my foot to the radio without messing it up. Nobody will ever know because I'm too bashful to have anyone hear me anyway!

So ask away. We mangle songs too.

Hi Norman, welcome to the forum. I live in Calgary too. What part of the city are you in? I have managed to find people to play with through the Foothills Bluegrass Society, Bandmix, and Jambands. Most of my friends play guitar too so there's usually something going on. There's also the Chinook Learning services music lessons, if you wanted to go that route. My friend is an instructor there and they offer Guitar1, Guitar2, Flatpicking, etc. There's usually 8 in a class and it's a good way to get connected with folks of similar interests. Send me a private message and I can get you connected to something that will interest you and get you beyond the G chord.

Welcome to the forum.

I have found a lot of useful stuff on YouTube. Just enter "acoustic guitar lesson" or the song name. I have been sending a link to video to my instructor so that he can prepare himself for my next lesson for what I want to learn. We both think its a great way to learn.

Cheers,

Les

Welcome to the forum.

I have found a lot of useful stuff on YouTube. Just enter "acoustic guitar lesson" or the song name. I have been sending a link to video to my instructor so that he can prepare himself for my next lesson for what I want to learn. We both think its a great way to learn.

Cheers' date='

Les[/quote']

I agree with Les on you tube as a learning aid. Brilliant idea about sending a link to precede a lesson.

I've looked at:

The intro to Crossroads - (not the 70s soap opera!)

Blackbird

Hole Hearted

........recently and the've been very useful.

Welcome Norm! GGirl or GG as we likes to call her is right up your way... as she has already attested.

Ask any question you want. We've all been there or are wonderin' the same thing.

One wonders if Norm is the young buck GG was swooning over last spring at the Bluegrass get to gether but couldn't bring herself to talk to..... O:)

Well... the fall / winter Bluegrass jams are firin' up, so maybe we'll get an up date from GG.

Welcome Norm! GGirl or GG as we likes to call her is right up your way... as she has already attested.

Ask any question you want. We've all been there or are wonderin' the same thing.

One wonders if Norm is the young buck GG was swooning over last spring at the Bluegrass get to gether but couldn't bring herself to talk to..... O:)

Well... the fall / winter Bluegrass jams are firin' up' date=' so maybe we'll get an up date from GG.

[/quote']

Tommy, that guy's name was Ryan and he was 15 years younger than me!!!! He had gray hair so I mistook him for an oldster like myself. Oh, and he was playing an old J-50 which sounded divine.

Poor Norman, we've probably scared him away now LOL

Tommy' date=' that guy's name was Ryan and he was 15 years younger than me!!!! He had gray hair so I mistook him for an oldster like myself. Oh, and he was playing an old J-50 which sounded divine.

Poor Norman, we've probably scared him away now LOL[/quote']

Unless'n you're in your early thirties.. what's the diff of 15 years!? I'm glad you finally got to meet the owner of that J-50.

Don't run away skeered, Norm. We razz GG every time a new feller comes in the door.

Welcome from another new member.

Ksdaddy's message above reflects my thinking about this forum.

As to learning from youtube, choose carefully. I've been watching larry bill for a couple of days straight now, and can't rightly say I've learned anything yet.

Colin

Welcome from another new member.

Ksdaddy's message above reflects my thinking about this forum.

As to learning from youtube' date=' choose carefully. I've been watching larry bill for a couple of days straight now, and can't rightly say I've learned anything yet.

Colin[/quote']

Colin, maybe your shirt is buttoned too high? Did you try buttoning it like Larry Bill does?

Unless'n you're in your early thirties.. what's the diff of 15 years!? I'm glad you finally got to meet the owner of that J-50.

Don't run away skeered' date=' Norm. We razz GG every time a new feller comes in the door.[/quote']

Tommy, I never actually got to meet him. I just sat across the room from him with stars in my eyes LOL Magic was eyeing up the J-50, I think!

Hi again. I really didn't expect anyone to even reply to my post so I'm really taken aback by how thoughtful you members are to take the time to make me feel welcome. Thanks everyone! You have all provided me with such great ideas and much needed confidence. I really appreciate everyone's ideas, links etc that you have all provided, thank you so much.

Gilliangirl, hi, I live in the SW in Evergreen. I thought of Chinook College as I had seen one of those course guides that come in the mail before, but I don't know too much about getting in there. From what I remember, the courses seemed to fill pretty quick there but that concept is something that I would feel comfortable with though. How do I send you a message?

Norm

Oh thank goodness we didn't scare you away! Everyone here is very friendly and some are a bit wacky. Not me tho'.... I'm completely normal. :D/

Sending private messages is easy..... just click on the username of the person you want to talk to and then you'll get their profile. From there you can send an email or private message. I'm in Thorncliffe, in the NW, btw. I'll private message you re Chinook etc

Edit: hey, I just realized that at the bottom of every post is an option to private message or email .... I've never even noticed that before :-$

ahahaha...yes, everyone so far is very friendly and sure makes one feel comfortable. I've read some of the other posts in the forum and sure wish I new as much as you folks do. This is a great wealth of knowledge to me. I think I sent you an email Gilliangirl from the email option (the sort of greyed out icon). Hopefully it will find it's way.

Norm

ahahaha...yes' date=' everyone so far is very friendly and sure makes one feel comfortable. I've read some of the other posts in the forum and sure wish I new as much as you folks do. This is a great wealth of knowledge to me. I think I sent you an email Gilliangirl from the email option (the sort of greyed out icon). Hopefully it will find it's way.

Norm[/quote']

Got it! Sending you one back....

Archived