Gibson Brands Forums

Getting my first Gibson, what do you think ?

Fender

Hello Gibo fans!

I am pretty new to Gibson as i've never really liked them. I'm pretty sure i still don't, but there are so many good and solid tone that Les Pauls provide so well and gracefully, so i want to warm up to them. I figure i never really liked em' cause i always played low end crap. I found a nice one locally. It's a Gibson USA Les Paul Studio Plus. It seems to have a fair graded flammed maple top. Here is a picture of it!

6451460.jpg

Anyways, i have always been a fan of Fender inspired guitars. I like the neck profile better and the shape and weight just feels better to me. I've always liked the look of a Les Paul, but like mentioned above, i didn't feel well playing them. Anyways, i have the money now and i play a lot more blues and soft rock, and i figure that with a Gibson in my already good arsenal, i should be fully covering the tonal spectrum.

Here's a shot of some of my stuff. I never get around to taking family shots, but this should give you an idea of what type of guitars i like!

rg1570miragered32ci6.jpg

rg1570miragered25ca6.jpg

rg1570miragered36bm7.jpg

briansrig2008067py0.jpg

Well im glad to have joined the site. Can't wait to get the Gibson. She might not be a Standard, but i hope that this Studio is in high regards!

regards!

Fender

(dont kill me for the name, it's been my screen name since 1999, so since i am short of memory i try to have more or less the same screen name everywhere )

Yep...I played Fenders most of my life.

As I have stated before, Even the most hardcore Gibson fanatic will admit

that Fender ( Some, not all ) makes a great guitar. They are unique and cover

the ground that a Les Paul simply cannot. Sorry guys, you know its true.

If im in the mood to play some blues..I grab my SRV Stratocaster.

Some good old heavy rock & roll...No question, I reach for the Les Paul.

The Fender sound is far too thin and weak to even be in the same league as the LP.

Dont get me wrong, the SRV can get nasty....but single coils can only do so much.

Don be shy about calling yourself Fender my friend! No one here calls themselves Gibson.

Thats way too much pressure!

Enjoy! O:)/

btw...I just came back from old Montreal. Its gorgous, and the food?? mmmmmm!

I found a nice one locally. It's a Gibson USA Les Paul Studio Plus. It seems to have a fair graded flammed maple top. Here is a picture of it!

6451460.jpg

I spotted that one too (I'm in Ottawa, so I always check the Montreal classisfieds as well) and was tempted to make the 90 minute drive to check it out. Those LP Studio Premium Plus models are VERY nice guitars. I think the price is pretty reasonable as well. I don't think you'd be disappointed. Also, if you do pick it up and find it's not to your liking I'm sure you'd have no problem flipping it and getting your money back.

By the way, check out this thread;

http://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=141229

Well i can't wait to see it. The thing is , he said he was going to be out of town from the 7th til the 25th and that the guitar is currently at a luthier. I asked him to look into it and try to get it out of there. I am usually pretty patient, but i have a gig at the end of the month and i wanna take her on stage, but i wanna familiarize myself to it first. Especially the fretboard. I have a feeling i am going to need to re-learn a lot of things. Or maybe not, il see when i play her. If i can't get her, i saw an add for a Mint Gibson Les Paul Standard 59' Goldtop. It looks very nice too, but it was more expensive and i am very partial to veneer woods. I just got rid of my last trans guitar so i've been craving one.

Thanks a lot for the welcome guys! This really seems like a good forum O:).

BUMP

Well, it's a gorgeous guitar! I think that coming in to the seller's house and expecting to be disapointed is one of the key reasons why i enjoyed the experience so much. Playing this guitar feels so great. Granted it doesn't compare to my Jem's, it's on a totally different wave lenght and that is exactly what i wanted. Of course they are all guitars, but this one is in a class of it's own. The tones it get's are primarily impossible to get with my other's. This will probably end up being one of my main axes. The Jem's will remain stock. There is no way i would ruin their sanctity by switching out pick-ups. I am not crazy about ruining authenticity on high end guitars. That being said, the Les Paul will be receiving a Pick guard tomorrow. Don't know whether to change everything to Creme or keep the hardware black and just add the guard. I will figure that out tomorrow.

In case you didn't figure it out, i bought it! He told me he paid it about 2200$ in 2001 and i personally feel i got a bargain. One of the kindest players out there. He had all fixed up and cleaned for me. He even put my favorite type of strings. GHS Infinities. Anyways, i am really stoked with the tones this guitar gets. This is now my only fixed bridge guitar lol! Love the gold hardware on it, and i was told the pick-ups are the 498 - 490T combo. Maybe i made a mistake in that, am not to sure as i'm not familiar with Gibby pickups. Anyways, needless to say i am still stoked. Dumb to say, but i don't think i was even this excited when i got my Jem and that thing is a friggen monster and an expensive collectable. First year (1987) Jem 777 SK with rare palm rest in excellent condition.

Anywho, i should head to bed. Practice starts tomorrow and i hope this new band will take me. It could be interesting ;).

Anyone have any Gibbies to sell out there ? I'd like to have another one. I think i am going to sell my 2006 RG Prestige 1570 MR to help finance it.

Sorry if i got off topic :P.

Okay ...

sleep

now ;)

Will post lot's of pictures tomorrow. Wanted to play it first before popping out the camera.!

Well, as you can see by my avatar, I think the guitar looks sweet! I really don't think you will be disapointed with a Studio. I find it to be very versatile and can handle just about any style. Hell, I know it's kind of sac-religious, but I sometimes keep my LP strapped on to play SRV songs at our gigs when I don't have time to change to the Strat. It might sound different tone wise, but it still sounds great in it's own way and 99% of the people don't know or couldn't care anyway! To me, the LP scale length and neck style just has a tighter more compact feel than the Strat style guitars. It just feels "all business" to me. I've come to prefer that to the slinky feel of a Strat, but they are both wonderful axes and I'm glad to own both.

Anyone have any Gibbies to sell out there ? I'd like to have another one. I think i am going to sell my 2006 RG Prestige 1570 MR to help finance it.

Careful Fender...before you go on, I must warn you of the "Gibson bug." =P~

This bug can attack you and send you out of control. Its origins are unknown and there is no known cure. I had an SG Special for around two years and was quite content with it. In September of last year I bought a LP Custom and then............I caught bug. Since then, I sold my SG Special and purchased two more LPs, two SGs, and an ES-335. Unfortunately, I think the bug has actually taking control of me because I find myself looking at a '59 VOS LP all the time. I fear that in the upcoming months, I will succumb and buy a VOS.

Tim

Btw, I agree with the other statements. Fenders truly are great guitars; although, I would personally never buy one. My opinion is biased and I am pro Gibson.

Welcome to Gibson!

I am pretty new to Gibson as i've never really liked them. I'm pretty sure i still don't, but there are so many good and solid tone that Les Pauls provide so well and gracefully, so i want to warm up to them. I figure i never really liked em' cause i always played low end crap. I found a nice one locally. It's a Gibson USA Les Paul Studio Plus. It seems to have a fair graded flammed maple top. Here is a picture of it!

Anyways, i have always been a fan of Fender inspired guitars. I like the neck profile better and the shape and weight just feels better to me. I've always liked the look of a Les Paul, but like mentioned above, i didn't feel well playing them. Anyways, i have the money now and i play a lot more blues and soft rock, and i figure that with a Gibson in my already good arsenal, i should be fully covering the tonal spectrum.

Well im glad to have joined the site. Can't wait to get the Gibson. She might not be a Standard, but i hope that this Studio is in high regards!

Fender

(dont kill me for the name, it's been my screen name since 1999, so since i am short of memory i try to have more or less the same screen name everywhere )

Hi, Fender!

You might get some good-natured ribbing about your screen name, but not to worry...I'm sure that many of the Gibson enthusiasts here also have a Strat or a Tele in their arsenal. <g>

If you're in the market for a Les Paul Studio, may I suggest either the Les Paul Vintage Mahogany or the Les Paul BFG? They're both based on Studios but have better pickups. The VM has BurstBuckers and the BFG has one BurstBucker and one P90 single-coil (since you're coming from the Fender single-coil environment this might be a good "bridge" guitar for you). <g>

They're both real "player" guitars...meant to be played, not displayed in a glass case. If you ding 'em it's not the end of the world. Best of all, both come with hardshell cases and are available for less than a grand...the VM for less than $800! <g>

Welcome to the Forum and good luck in your Gibson quest!

Cat Daddy

Don't let your habits and preferences get in the way.

After a few years of having my favorite neck profile, pickups, etc... I realized any musician worth his salt needs to have multiple tools for his trade.

If you're a home player, or you play in a band that pretty much does one thing, you can go without "extra" tools.

That said, I have as many guitars as possible. A P-90 Les Paul Junior, a semi-hollowbody ES-135 (with Bigsby, and I installed a humbucker sized P-90 in the bridge and left the '57 Classic in the neck), a '57 reissue Les Paul Custom, 2 Esquires (one with Bigsby), 3 Telecasters (one a Nashville style to get me that middle Strat "quacker", one "Keith'ed" with Open G tuning and a neck humbucker), a resonator, a '51 reissue P-Bass, a Deluxe P-Bass (with a Jazz and a P-bass pickup), and a "heavy metal" guitar (a neck-thru Rhoads V with DiMarzio Super Distortion in the bridge).

After years of playing tons of kinds of guitars (necks, pickups, bodies, etc) I can pickup just about any guitar and play as if I owned it for a decade. Your hands no longer get used to ONE guitar... they can adapt to others more easily.

Now anytime I'm laying down a track, I can reach for the right tool for the job, or experiment with opposites to find the sound that's needed.

Don't even ask about my amps... since I learned to build my own, I have about a dozen classic designs in crappy wood cabs (I'm still trying to get my woodworking skills down! HAHA).

Archived