Gibson Brands Forums

What songs are you learning?

Wolff

Honestly, I very rarely learn anyone else's songs. Like, ever. The closest I get is playing along to some Top 40 pop song on the radio or television by ear, then playing it at a later date to annoy my friends.

It's not a cop-out answer of "musical superiority" or anything, I'm just merely too busy writing, recording, and rehearsing my own tunes.

However, I AM currently in my few spare minutes a day trying to get down "Mister Sandman" as performed by Mr. Chet Atkins. Sucks though, since I don't have a Bigsby on my LP!

Sorry but I'm with Larry on this all the way. tab keeps people from making the effort to learn to read music. Tab cannot ever even come close to representing music the way it really should be played. Tab doesn't express rhythm or expression, and it can't show you how notes overlap each other. (example: holding a half note while you play 4 1/16th notes).

If you practiced reading music 1/2 hour to 45 minutes everyday for two years you would be able to read complex, chord-melody jazz music almost as easily as you can read fiction in your native language. And you would quadruple your ability as a musician/guitarist. And, it doesn't matter if you're an amateur or an aspiring pro.

I doubt there is anyone here who would disagree it's a good thing to be able to read music. Show me where I can download for free 1,000s of songs by popular(and sometimes obscure) rock bands in sheet music form. I'd also say that most guys probably use tabs as a guide to get going on a song and realize they are not always perfect.

Guitar Shorty: Story of My Life. Written by Jesse Harms..... I think??????

(Rhythm portion) Tough when you can not find sheet music.... Standard notation or tab. I have yet to have a well trained ear.

Sorry man... Just listened to it. Can you find Golden Earring's "Bullet Hits the Bone"... the rhythm part sounds very similar to that.... should get you into the ballpark, anyway!

Let me know if that doesn't help... I'll figure it out and find a way to get it to you :D

I used to be able to read music, but after a five year absence, I never bothered to relearn it. I try to write my own music, I've been toying around with drop C tuning lately, but the most recent songs I'm trying to learn is Daylight Dies by Killswitch Engage and I Dream Of July by Bleeding Through.

Loaded question... I'm workin on the solo for Black Dog, smoke on the water, hey joe, mississippi queen, and welcome to the jungle. I've got Free's Alright now and Zep's Whole lotta love down. Also just tryin to learn the main riffs to some classics like Rock n Roll - LZep, Gloria-Van Morrison, Brain Damage- Floyd and afew others..

I know I'm new here, but I both agree and disagree about the TAB talk.

The more you know, usually the better it is so knowing how to read music and especially some basic theory - scales and chord substitution is a great thing. However, TAB is not totally bad. They are both tools to be used. Can you learn scales and chord subs without knowing how to read staff? Absolutely, but reading will give you an edge over the guy who cannot read it. In some cases that's helpful, but other times it doesn't matter.

I'm currently learning a song called "The Blood Will Never Lose It's Power" and I have access to the full chart, but mostly all I want are the words with the chord changes and a recording of the song - much like a Fake Book would give you. This way I can start with the basics - chord changes and melody and then put the two together and play chord/melody at the same time while also making chord substitutions as I feel - but thats just me. I've learned what works best for my style.

My 2cents worth

Saw Rush on VH1 the other day, brought back fond memories of their 1st album. So now I'm working on Need A Friend because it just rocks. Don't know if my band will be into doing any Rush tunes but I'll find out tonight

Also playing Nugents Hey Baby just cuz ...

I learned to play by playing. I played the Surfside in Clearwater Beach Fla. at age 12 in 1970. Played Proud Mary.

Had a gigging Band in Apache Jct Az. at the Rib Eye in 1975. Was drinking beer and playing 3 nights a week. $25.00 a night plus beer.

Never had any use for tab. If I could hear it I could play it.

Wish I'd learned to read music though. It would allow you to play things you've never heard.

I'm dinking with "Hey Cisco" from PURPENDICULAR (Deep Purple w/ Steve Morse) but doubt my keyboard guy will ever want to touch it.....

Steve Morse is fun to study though.

Murph.

Archived