Gibson Brands Forums

Favorite Recording Mics

nolongermike@gibson

I'd love to hear what everyone else is using for their guitar recordings. Me, I'm favoring a stereo microphone setup for acoustic, using two microphones from Violet. I point a large diaphragm condenser Violet Amethyst Vintage on the neck, pointing it at the fretboard at around the 8th fret, six inches away, and for the other I use the Violet Globe pointed toward the middle of the end of the top of the acoustic, about 10 inches back. It makes a rich, lush and clean recording direct into my 002R unit, with no signal mitigation, just direct to the recording. I've got some much cheaper mics that do really well, too, like one from MXL that for $150 mic, is just outstanding. What are ya'll doing?

I'd love to hear what everyone else is using for their guitar recordings. Me' date=' I'm favoring a stereo microphone setup for acoustic, using two microphones from Violet. I point a large diaphragm condenser Violet Amethyst Vintage on the neck, pointing it at the fretboard at around the 8th fret, six inches away, and for the other I use the Violet Globe pointed toward the middle of the end of the top of the acoustic, about 10 inches back. It makes a rich, lush and clean recording direct into my 002R unit, with no signal mitigation, just direct to the recording. I've got some much cheaper mics that do really well, too, like one from MXL that for $150 mic, is just outstanding. What are ya'll doing?[/quote']

SM-57s.

Sometimes two of 'em as long as I don't have to deal with phasing.

Sometimes, I'll throw in a Beta 58 if I'm feeling frisky.

I once read an article in a studio recording trade magazine where they asked a bunch of famous (or notable) recording engineers what ONE mic they would want if stranded on a desert island.

The resounding answer: Shure SM-57.

I found that very interesting from guys who, on a daily basis, use some of the most expensive mics in the world.

I once read an article in a studio recording trade magazine where they asked a bunch of famous (or notable) recording engineers what ONE mic they would want if stranded on a desert island.

The resounding answer: Shure SM-57.

I found that very interesting from guys who' date=' on a daily basis, use some of the most expensive mics in the world.[/quote']

Versatility and consistency speak loads! You simply can't go wrong with a 57.

• 2 months later...

Archived